Recovery time following revision surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery time following revision surgery

I am new member and not very computer savvy. If I am not posting this correctly, I welcome suggestions for improvement.

My questions to everyone who has already gone through a revision surgery, is how long did it take you to recover? How long were you off work? When did you start driving again and how long did you need pain medication?

On Dec. 21, 2007 I had surgery. The Operative Report states:

1. removal of caudal end of harrington rods
    2. revision laminectomy and decompression L4 through S1 for stenosis correction.
    3. Posterior osteomony L4-5 for correction of flatback.
    4. Posterior lumbar interbody fusions L4-5 and L5-S1.
    5. Posterior Segmental instrumentation L3 through ilium with titanium TAN USS arthrodesis of iliac crest bone graft for pelvic fixation.

I am 46 years old. My previous surgery for fusion T2 through L4 with Harrington rods was at age 13.

I would love to hear from anyone else who has had similiar procedure done. I just don't know what to expect. It seems like some days I improve and others I go backwards. Is this normal? If anyone wants to send me a private message, my email is: melodylane2195@msn.com

Thanks!
    Melody
    1974 Harrington Rods and fusion L2-T4 age 13

1975 to 2000 very few problems or pain

2000-2007, increasing pain above and below fusion, chiropractic care, massage, acupuncture

Dec. 21, 2007 revision surgery: partial removal of rods, , laminectomy and decompression L4-S1 to correct stenosis , posterior osteotomy L4-5 to correct flatback, posterior instrumentation L-3 through ilium. Posterior fusion L4 - S1.

Everyone is different, sorry to say!
    I had revision surgery on 6th december, so am now 6 weeks post op. My revision surgery involved extending the fusion above and below my existing one, putting rods from T5 down to L3. It was major surgery, but it's all been good news for me. I was back driving after 4 weeks (or just before), and have been able to be relatively active. I'm pretty tired still, but having dreaded revision surgery because I had heard how much worse it is, I am thrilled with my recovery.

I think getting in shape beforehand helped, I did pilates with a PT, and swam lots. I had a lot of pain pre-op too, but did what I could.
    I hope it all goes well, I know it's tough to face this extra surgery.
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Encouraging!

Thanks for sharing information regarding your surgery and recovery. It is encouraging to me to hear that you were driving so soon post op...which I presume means a return to many of your pre-revision surgery activities? You didn't mention whether or not you work or have returned to work? And if you don't mind my asking....how about meds? I've had some people tell me to not worry about tapering off of them until 3 months post op and others seem to be able to go without pain meds in only a few weeks. I am 4 weeks post op. I did my first (very short) drive a couple days ago and managed to sit through a movie at a theater (with very comfortable seats) yesterday. I have cut down on the pain meds some....but can't imagine getting through a whole day or not without them at this point. I am hoping to return to work, at least part time in 2 more weeks.

Melody
      Melody

2000-2007, increasing pain above and below fusion, chiropractic care, massage, acupuncture

Dec. 21, 2007 revision surgery: partial removal of rods, , laminectomy and decompression L4-S1 to correct stenosis , posterior osteotomy L4-5 to correct flatback, posterior instrumentation L-3 through ilium. Posterior fusion L4 - S1.

Comment

I had the bottom of my harrington rod removed and some fusion removed (L5 - S1)also to relieve pressure on nerves. The second surgery is much easier. I was only in the hospital 3 days. At 6 weeks, I went back to work - 1 or 2 days a week (my mom had cancer at the time and I was taking care of her). I can't take most pain medicines, so I could drive at 6 weeks. If you get stopped by the police while driving and taking pain medicines, it is driving under the influence. My pain management doctor made me sign a form stating that I would not drive while taking pain meds and that I knew I could get arrested if stopped by the police. So get off pain meds or switch to advil or aleve before driving. My husband bought us a new house 1 month after my surgery, so I had to get better quickly to help move into a new house!
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

After reading your operative report, i think my revision was much simpler than yours... I just had the hardware removed. Although it was another long incision the length of my back, it was not nearly as bad as the original. I was only out of work for 4 weeks, but returned for only 1/2 days for about 3 weeks. I tried the full day at first, but muscle spasms ripped me in half almost... so i backed off in a hurry...lol... Now at 4 months post-op, i'm regaining lots of my flexibility and strength. Like nzgirl says, everyone is different. That's so true so don't compare yourself and then feel badly, okay?

Comment

I've been off all the pain meds since week 3, I still had some pain then but was less than pre-op so I toughed it out. At week 6, I have virtually no pain apart from the odd twinge, and definitly less than before (was popping vicodin like house does!). I'm not working again, I don't really have the motivation yet. I also am spending considerable time hanging out in the lounge chair, although can go out for a few hours at a time comfortably. The tiredness is the bad part now.

I have to stress though, this was unexpected by my surgeon, so it sounds like this is the exception rather than the rule. He was talking 3 months before I was feeling back to normal, so I have done really well.
            1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
            2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
            2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
            Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
            msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Melody...

I've known a lot of people who have undergone revision surgery, and the one thing I can tell you for sure is that everyone is different. A good friend of mine had what would be termed a really big revision surgery. She was off of all pain medication within 3 weeks. And, I've known others who had what would be considered small revision surgeries, who took years to recover. I think we all wish we knew the magic formula.

The good news for you is that it appears that they'll only be working on the very lowest part of your spine. Hopefully that will contribute to a speedy recovery.

Good luck!

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks to each of you for sharing your story. How right you are...that each of us are different. You all sound like amazingly strong people though....taking care of an ill mom and moving into a new house weeks after such major surgery sounds almost too good to be true...but I am happy that each of you have recovered so well and so quickly! I am now 5 weeks post op and getting better every day. In fact, the last couple days, I have felt good enough to overdue it during the day and then suffered from overusing my out of shape muscles! I am still on some pain meds....but have reduced everything substantially! I have been in chronic pain for the last few years....so I am doing a slow and sensible taper off of the pain meds to avoid withdrawal symptoms. I am taking daily walks and doing stretching exercises. I am hoping to go back to work next week...half days for the first week or two. I am lucky to work in a place where I can stand or sit whenever I need to, which should make the transition a little easier. If anyone wants to keep in contact with me, I would enjoy hearing from others who have had an experience similiar to me. I tried to do a smiley face....but that is what I ended up with....like I said, I'm not very computer savvy. Melody
                Melody

Comment

Working...
                X