Thread: Is the elliptical machine safe?

Is the elliptical machine safe?

I got released from PT last month and have started working out at a gymn (with Boachie's permission) to further build up my weak leg. The recumbent bike and the treadmill feel great, but I'm a little worried about the elliptical, even though my PT person told me it was good for me to use. All of that side-to-side, up and down stepping is really rough on my torso, even though I take it slow and don't use the swinging arm handles. I guess I worry that it doesn't keep my spine as neutral as it should be at this point in my recovery (7 months). I do wear my brace for this machine even though I'm officially weaned off it.

Any thoughts on this??

Just not happy unless I'm worried about SOMEthing,
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

When I was going to PT The assistant put me on the elliptical by accident instead of the treadmill. It killed me, when my PT found out she was very upset. It is great for people with bad knees because it is less impact. It is bad for people with back problems, because of the stress/angle that your placed in. Hope it helps.

personally the eliptical bothers me, and i haven't even had surgery yet! All the up and down motion/ bouncing, especially when you have it set at an incline does a number on my back that the treadmill doesn't nearly as much. I would bet that it bothers you!!
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

I use the elipitical and set it at 1 on the incline and 1 on the resistance and have no problems with it. I was told I can't increase the numbers until 1 year post op. I also use the tredmill...and I must say This was not highly recamended by the PT as the impact on the lower spine may cause problems for me down the road. I also use the recumbant bike ...no problems. Also I get in the pool twice a week and do resistance exercises in there.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Actually, judging by how sore I was today after using the elliptical for 5 or 6 minutes yesterday, I'm not going to use it anymore.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York