Appt. with Dr. Boachie tomorrow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appt. with Dr. Boachie tomorrow!

My first appt. with him is tomorrow at 2:15. Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers. Thanks, Krysi

Dr. Boachie

I could kiss the ground he walks on.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Krysi--I sure will. Be sure and let us know ASAP how it goes and what he says. Best wishes for a great appointment!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Krysi -- you'll love him. Bring a snack though; there's usually a longish wait!!
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Well, Dr. Boachie was all that and then some. Very nice staff too with the exception of the insurance lady and I'll get to that. My revision in May was to fix my broken rods in the lumbar area. My original fusion was from T3 through L4. In May, my doctor extended it down to L5. A screw at L3 went through a pedicle and they had to redo the one side of it. Well it has all come apart. I lean real bad to the right and forward. My lumbar curve measured at 56 degrees in Oct.. It is now 68 degrees with a forward kyphotic tilt. He can fix me but he will do it in two operations, one week apart. We where thrilled. We then went to talk with the insurance woman and the person who schedules surgery. The insurance woman was a bitch. No other way to put it. There where two chairs in her cubicle. She was in one and the other was empty although the desk, floor and top of the computer were piled as high as the cubicle with drug rep freebies, papers, folders, everything. Like something you would see on Oprah about hoarders. My elderly mother went to sit in the empty chair and Theresa, the insurance woman told her "Don't sit there. It's the office managers chair." She never did show up.

We went from happy to totally depressed after she told us that they are a private hospital and they don't have to take our insurance. "You Pennsylvania people" as she referred to us, have awful coverage even though it is Blue Cross and they will only cover so much, so unless you pay us up front, which could be at least $25,000 dollars, we won't operate. She said that she will send a letter to my carrier listing all the codes of the procedures that he wants to do and find out what will be paid for and then let me know. We were not "allowed" by her to talk to scheduling until she decides if they will accept my insurance.

I called my husbands employer today and explained to the girl who handles all the insurance matters what happened. She said that our coverage will cover 100% of the hospital stay and at least 80% of surgical costs. She is going to contact me as soon as she gets the estimate from the insurance nazi. This woman was so unproffessional. It was a shame because otherwise, we were treated very, very well.

I called my doctor in Pittsburgh who is the one who sent me up to Dr. B in the first place but he is out of town until Tuesday. So here I sit, knowing that my spine has moved 12 degrees in three months, can be fixed and I can actually play with my two year old baby yet can't do anything about it for now.

Please keep me and my family in your prayers. Thanks, Krysi

Comment

That's great that he can fix you and that you had a good appointment--other than the part with the insurance tyrant. You should report her for her inconsideration, to make an understatement (seating for your mother), and her rudeness about your insurance and where you're from! Sorry you had to experience that! I'll keep praying for you and your family. Soon it will all work out and you'll have your surgery dates set. Keep us posted!

PS--were you able to see Janet?
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Wow, how frustrating! I know how the run-around can be, but at least all the ones I'm dealing with are polite, just WC is picking what they want to cover(understandable) and not too quick on getting their paperwork done. then hubby's insurance might be changing at end of Jan, and surgery is Feb, its up in there air about them. But polite is easier to deal with.
              2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
              surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
              Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
              5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
              5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
              6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
              (left open with just clear dressing)
              6/6/08 recleaned and closed
              3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Krysi,

I'm sorry for the rough treatment. By a happy fluke, my husband has New York-based insurance even though we live in PA, so we avoided the dreaded out-of-state hassles. We had our share of out-of-pocket expenses, but Dr. Boachie wrote off the portion of his bill that our insurance wouldn't pay. What I am trying to say is, personalities aside, his office usually will cooperate with the insurance companies to get you the most coverage possible.

New Yorkers can be a pretty tough lot !!!
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

My Dr. Boachie appt. 2/11/08

I would like to agree with Dalamatica on Dr. Boachie's staff. The nurses, support staff and Dr. B himself were wonderful. I just had my first appt w/ him last Monday 2/11/08. But as you said the insurance lady is a bitch I agree on that 100%. She said the same thing to me "you PA people" What all PA people are from another planet or something. I was told that my insurance sucked and I would have to pay 40-100k out of my pocket. Like I have that kind of cash to throw her way. I am lucky if I have 3 dollars in my wallet and I need gas to drive to the store to get my husband a Valentines card yet. And I am in so much pain I don't have the strength to do it but I will have to muster something.
                  Back on topic. I too was amazed at their cubicle. It was disgusting and it looked very unprofessional. I would amagine the lady with all of the papers lives like that as well.
                  Those who are in pain and need to have surgery just to get some relief which is what I have to do, we don't need aditude. I was very suicidal that day because this pain is affecting my world. I could wake up one morning and not have a husband or kids and I sure don't have a job. I thought I did but now getting excuses that nothing happens until end of March to April> this was a pool company that I would be managing. I already managed another pool company for 10+years and my so called new boss is BSing me. Never BS a BSer. So now it's like whatever happens happens. I just don't understand why it takes 1-2 weeks for them to have an office visit transcribed so I can submit it to my insurance company and start hounding them to pay for the surgery. I just want to get all this done and over with so I can start a new and improved way of life. These past few months have taught me a lesson. Not to be taken for granted and don't have anyone make a fool out of you.
                  As you can see I have issues, I am mad as hell that I have to go thru this but I am also scared to death really really scared. Panic attack scared.
                  I have been through such a rough life (don't want sympathy from anyone) I I feel that I have grown up strong. My aunts and uncles are amazed that I am the way I am because they thought I would have gone down the tubes long ago. But I didn't because it's called responsiblity. I have had enough and now have to go thru this. Someone just give me a break. Dr. Boachie is going to do that when he fixes me. All I have to say is there better be good drugs before I go into surgery because they will have a big mess on their hands if they don't. It's a proven fact.

Comment

Scared Stiff

I live in Ok. and have been physican searching. Dr. Boachie is so highly recommended. Thought I would call his clinic and visit with them and find out if they accept Medicare and Tri Care for Life. Now what I read...about the insurance lady makes me wonder if I dare call. It does not help to be 66 and be treated ----that I need to be put out to pasture (although I realize old bones do not like surgery). Guess maybe this is reality!
                    Kim

Comment

Hey Kim,
                      I live in Oklahoma City and as far as I can tell, you and I are the only Okies on the forum. So glad to find someone close to home!

I did quite a bit of research before I decided to start with a surgeon. I do not have the means to go out of state for office visits, consultations, etc. so I concentrated my search locally. I truly don't remember how I came across his name but somewhere I found Dr. Alexander L'Heureux in Edmond. I did some online checking and decided to call his office to get a feel for his staff. They were absolutely so sweet and kind. I was in pretty dire straits at the time and practically begged them to see me. Dr. L was booked into late September but the lady I spoke to took pity on me and spoke with him and he agreed to see me in mid-August. I waited for quite some time before seeing the good doc but he was worth the wait. I think he would have spent as many hours with me as I needed to make me feel comfortable. He suggested I take a conservative approach to begin so I had 3 spinal epidural injections which didn't help. Ultimately he sent me to a pain management doc to try to find a way to control the pain with medication before resorting to surgery at that point. I had an appointment scheduled for early March for more x-rays but since the pain has been increasing steadily since December, I called and asked if they could move my appointment up. They worked until they found an earlier appointment and were so compassionate about it. So, I go back next Thursday and I'm so anxious to see the x-rays.
                      Obviously, I can't say enough good things about Dr. L and his staff. I know OKC isn't just across the street from Guymon, but it might be better than a plane ride away.
                      Becky, 46 years old
                      Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                      Ignored until 448/07
                      Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                      Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                      Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                      Fused T-10 to L-5
                      14 titanium pedicle screws
                      Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                      Email

Comment

Becky!
                        Oh my goodness...I felt so alone out in the Panhandle of OKlahoma...now I feel like I've have just met a new cousin for the first time.
                        Harrington Rod/Luque instrumentional & spinal fusion T7-L4 was done at the Baptist Hospital in OKC--12/1985---by Dr. S. Fulton Tompkins. He and Dr. Harrington (Houston) designed the 'Harrington Rod' many years ago. I was 43...I've had 23 years of good expierience with the rod...It is almost a given when you go that many years wwith the Harrington that 'Flat Back' will possibly develop.
                        I am divorced (not by choice) for 16 years. Have proudly been able to manage my own health affairs until the past 3 years. Therefore like you say expenses, tavel, and managed care have to be taken in consideration when living within a limited budget.
                        I wish you the best in your next set appointment...Please keep me posted about this physcian..
                        Dr. Michael LaGrone Amarillo is 2-20 hours away and OKC would be 5 hours away.
                        If & when surgery is done....He will have to be the very best...because my health/age will not allow it.
                        I have sister in OKC....daughter in Dallas, and daughter in Houston. One in Houston has helped with all my UT MD Anderson Cancer care...My car transportation and flights from Guymon-to Amarillo and then Southwest Airlines to Houston ...have not been that convenient. But God's protection has been with me in all----from the corriders of hospitals to traveling hiways at all hours.
                        Also done some reading on Consulting Orthopedists in Plano, TX... Dr. Alexis P. Shelokov. Think they might decline because of Medicare and my age.

Thanks for responding....Keep in touch
                        Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Kim
                          Becky!
                          Oh my goodness...I felt so alone out in the Panhandle of OKlahoma...now I feel like I've have just met a new cousin for the first time.
                          Harrington Rod/Luque instrumentional & spinal fusion T7-L4 was done at the Baptist Hospital in OKC--12/1985---by Dr. S. Fulton Tompkins. He and Dr. Harrington (Houston) designed the 'Harrington Rod' many years ago. I was 43...I've had 23 years of good expierience with the rod...It is almost a given when you go that many years wwith the Harrington that 'Flat Back' will possibly develop.
                          I am divorced (not by choice) for 16 years. Have proudly been able to manage my own health affairs until the past 3 years. Therefore like you say expenses, tavel, and managed care have to be taken in consideration when living within a limited budget.
                          I wish you the best in your next set appointment...Please keep me posted about this physcian..
                          Dr. Michael LaGrone Amarillo is 2-20 hours away and OKC would be 5 hours away.
                          If & when surgery is done....He will have to be the very best...because my health/age will not allow it.
                          I have sister in OKC....daughter in Dallas, and daughter in Houston. One in Houston has helped with all my UT MD Anderson Cancer care...My car transportation and flights from Guymon-to Amarillo and then Southwest Airlines to Houston ...have not been that convenient. But God's protection has been with me in all----from the corriders of hospitals to traveling hiways at all hours.
                          Also done some reading on Consulting Orthopedists in Plano, TX... Dr. Alexis P. Shelokov. Think they might decline because of Medicare and my age.

Thanks for responding....Keep in touch
                          Kim
                          Kim,
                          You will never feel alone as long as you are on this forum. It's like having a new totally supportive and oh, so willing family that's willing to share their experiences for your benefit.
                          I also looked at Consulting Orthopedists but with a full time job, 3 kids, a husband and again the expenses of traveling, I chose to stay local and I'm very happy I did. It sounds like you have found a good doc in Amarillo. I wish you the best of luck and I'll let you know how next week goes. I don't think I added in my last post that I'm trying physical therapy and I'm absolutely positive all physical therapists have some type of personality disorder that makes them a bit sadistic! I'm tired and sore but in reality I like them a lot and I think they know how to handle scolio patients.
                          Becky, 46 years old
                          Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                          Ignored until 448/07
                          Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                          Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                          Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                          Fused T-10 to L-5
                          14 titanium pedicle screws
                          Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                          Email

Comment

When Dr. Boachie writes off his the part of the surgery bill that is not covered by insurance, does he tell you that before the surgery or do you go into surgery prepared to pay the full payment? What about other fees from the surgery? What is the average out of pocket expense?

Thaks
                            Sue

Comment

To all of you who have had to deal with the nastiest woman on the face of the earth (at Dr. Boachie's office), I will post later this evening on what has been happening with me. Please stay tuned. Perhaps I can offer you some help. I just have to wait till my hubby gets home to watch the baby so I can sit here and write without being attacked by the baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X