The Sugery Date got changed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sugery Date got changed

My doctor reffered me to a neurologist to get clearence that it was ok for him to do the surgery. He sent me because he said my scoliosis was a-typical b/c of the large trunk shift. Well we went to the neurologist and for some reason the trunk shift really bothered him...He said he wanted to post pone the surgery to test nerve and muscle function in my back and legs.

I TRULY think that this neurologist is RETARDED. I am a competitive swimmer that competes on a national level! I swim 12,000 yards every day and I LOVE it!!! I have never had any pain or problems!! Despite the scoliosis and trunk shift my times are still improving??? How in the hell could there be something wrong with my muscles or nerves???

We got blood test done, testing the nerves and muscles, and everything came back NORMAL as I EXPECTED!? The neurologist is being very over precautious and i just want to get the surgery done so i can get back into school and swimming faster. Although the doctor says right now that he would have to fuse almost my entire back all the way down to the pelvis to make fully sure that the imbalance issue is corrected.

I'm just very stessed and annoyed right now lol. Has this issue ever happened to anybody else and how was the outcome of this type mess? I will try to post some pics of my x rays tomorrow sometime.
    17 yr old guy
    swimmer
    55* thoracic curve
    42* lumbar curve
    severe trunk shift to the right
    surgery date: Feb. 26 2008
    Fused T4-L1
    Now Trunk shift is GONE
    CURVES less than 10 degrees!

Take a deep breath.

I'm sure you're frustrated, I would be too, but it's better to be safe. The last thing you want is for the doctors to be surprised in the middle of surgery, particularly related to something related to nerves. They may not be looking for something "wrong" but rather trying to gather information so they know what to expect when they operate. For example, they may want to see how close your nerves are in relation to your vertebrae.

Try to take the long view (I know that is REALLY hard), rather thank thinking about getting back to school/swimming, think about how healthy you'll be one year from now, or even 5 or 10 years from now.

Best of luck to you.
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Hi Swimbum,
      OMG. How awful that your surgery got postponed. I am sure you just want to do it and get it over with at this point. My daughter is 16 and her surgery is scheduled for 2/5/08. I don't think that her nerves (or mine) could take it another day if she got postponed. I am even planning on her stopping school a few days early so she won't catch anything from her friends.

HOWEVER, you truly are much better off safe than sorry. It is good that they didn't find anything to be concerned about. Look at the alternative. Is your new date 1/29 or is that your old date?

Best of luck and hang in there.
      Samsmom
      Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
      42 Degree Lumbar Curve
      Fused T-4 to L-2
      Yale New Haven
      2/5/08

Comment

Here is the x ray!

so here are the xrays

X RAYS
        17 yr old guy
        swimmer
        55* thoracic curve
        42* lumbar curve
        severe trunk shift to the right
        surgery date: Feb. 26 2008
        Fused T4-L1
        Now Trunk shift is GONE
        CURVES less than 10 degrees!

Comment

That's a pretty impressive x-ray-- quite a trunk shift! I don't think you've posted a new surgery date yet-- or at least I couldn'f find it. Do you have one? Hang in there!
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
          X