2nd Surgery Needed for Tilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Surgery Needed for Tilt

I am not very happy right now but I don't see any other options........
    I saw my surgeon last Friday and he said the tilt I have will not improve with time because it is a structural problem. The answer is an osteotomy (remove a wedge of bone). He feels it will correct the problem quite nicely but the thought of going through this again is a little overwhelming.
    I know I can't live with the degree of tilt I currently have as it puts a huge strain on my left hip.
    The surgery will be scheduled in the next couple of months.
    I lost a lot of blood during the first surgery and have had 2 hematologists check me and can find nothing wrong. That is another concern. Like I said not very happy!
    CarolS
    68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
    Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
    Osteotomy March 20,2008
    Thrilled with results!

Carol -
    I think I know how you feel. I had my third surgery last May, now fused T4 to S1, thinking that would be the last of my surgeries. But I'm facing a fourth - an anterior surgery because I am unable to stand up straight. I also have a slight tilt to the right, but that seems to be getting slightly better. If that surgery doesn't get me to a position that I can live with I don't know what I will do since I will soon be 65 years old and can't keep doing this! Also, I don't have a blood problem like you do but I had some breathing and blood oxygen problems the last time.

I don't have any advice, but lots of sympathy for your concerns and your dismay at having to go through it all again. Best of luck to you.
    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Admittedly, this is my greatest concern regarding surgery…that it may not stop at one. And I can’t help wondering if this is because it’s not done right the first time around or is it the ill-fated nature of this beast.

Chris

Comment

I'm sorry to hear this. I also HATE to hear this. I hope it is just a small procedure -- compared to the original fusion, of course. No surgical procedure is small, but you know what I mean.

*sigh*
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I'm sorry you have to go through another operation. I really hope it goes well for you.

I still have a 'tilt', but I'm not sure I want to do anything about it. My shoulders are aligned, but my torso curves inwards... if that makes any sense. It's only really noticeable when I have no top on. My doctor said that to fix that, it would require fusing the rest of my spine, which could cause me problems when sitting down. I figured that it would be best to leave it since it's not causing me any pain.
          Last edited by Robbie; 01-09-2008, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Carol, I too am so sorry to hear that you need another surgery to help your tilt. I can certainly understand you are not very happy. I will keep you in my prayers. Let me know when it is scheduled and I will get you on our prayer chain at church. I truly believe in the power of prayer.
            Like you I lost a lot of blood during my first surgery (posterior). My daughter said that they had to replace almost all of my blood and body fluids. I do remember for several days they were still hanging bags of blood up to drip into my IV. (Yuck).
            Like Chris this has been one of my greatest concerns regarding surgery...that it may not stop at one. Everytime I voice that concern my family gets on my case and tells me to remember that I couldn't walk (without platform crutches) before the surgery and now I am walking fine. I still have some concerns to talk to my doc with since no one in his office returned my call last week. Since my appointment is next week I am just waiting. It just seems to go on and on doesn't it.
            I know it is overwhelming but hang in there. We are all pulling for you. I wish we could get together and give hugs to each other but at least we have this forum and know that we care about one another. God bless you Carol,
            Susan
            Susan, Age 60, getting accustomed to my new back!
            A/P Surgery Oct. 15 and 22, 2007
            Spinal fusion T10 -S1 with Segmental instrumentation
            Thorocolumbar pre-op curve 63 degrees: post-op curve less than 10 degrees per Dr. at 6-month appt.
            Dr. Robert A. Hart @ Oregon Health & Science University, (OHSU) Spine Center, Portland, OR

Comment

Carol,

I can only imagine how disappointed you must be with the prospect of another surgery. It is a fear that many of us share. With a few months notice, perhaps you can beef up your hemoglobin level and prepare yourself mentally and physically so you will be as strong as possible -- just like the warrior you have already proved yourself to be! All of us will be in your corner. Would it give you a smile to think of all of us in "war paint" on your surgery date? I know that is probably "politically incorrect", but it could make for a terrific visualization as you go into the OR.

Take care,
              Linda W.
              Linda
              Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
              S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
              Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
              Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Admittedly, this is my greatest concern regarding surgery…that it may not stop at one. And I can’t help wondering if this is because it’s not done right the first time around or is it the ill-fated nature of this beast
                I have been told by my doctors (and have read) that scoliosis surgeons always try to do the minimum they think is necessary since it is such a horrendous surgery and affects one's life so much. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and we can't see into the future to predict what will happen. If I had known then what I know now, with my first surgery (T4-L4) I would have told them go all the way to the sacrum and be done with it, but I couldn't foresee what would happen. I choose to believe it is the "ill-fated nature of the beast" perhaps because I can't bear to think that all of these surgeons can't get it right in the first place.
                FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

I have nothing but praise for my surgeon, Dr Ganocy in Los Angeles! When he told me he thought he would be able to stop at L4 instead of the sacrum but he wasn't sure I told him to make the decision when he got in there. I let him know he was the one with the training not me and I had complete faith in him. I told him to make the decision as if he was operating on a loved one. Well he decided that it had to be to the sacrum while he was in there. He knew that if he stopped at L4 there was a huge chance we would be back in a few years revising the surgery. Yes my life is a little more difficult being fused to the sacrum but I will adapt as I heal more. As it is right now i can already do more than my physical Therapist and home care Nurse thought I would be able to do! I was even cleared to drive at 2 weeks post op if you can believe that! I haven't yet, but I could if I wanted to. I like to think Dr Ganocy is in the majority and not the minority as far as surgeons go. I would hope the surgeons would be aggressive when they go in there and fix our backs.

CStadler, I wish you nothing but luck with what ever you decide to do.
                  Alicia
                  Geish
                  47 years old, dx at 13
                  +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                  Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                  http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                  http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Originally posted by Geish
                    I had complete faith in him.
                    I don’t have complete faith in any doctor. They’re only human and doctors make mistakes all the time. I prefer instead to put my complete faith in God. I’ve asked God to steer me to the surgeon who is right for me, and then I will pray like the dickens for the best possible outcome.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SusanGP
                      I truly believe in the power of prayer.
                      So do I. So much so especially after witnessing a recent miraculous event in my family. My handsome 37-year-old nephew was involved in a near fatal truck accident in Rhode Island just before Thanksgiving. He suffered a broken neck, internal injures, a shattered leg and a mangled leg that was at serious risk of amputation. Being a Catholic I offered all my rosaries, masses and Hold Communions for his intention. I begged God to save his leg. We had a round-the-clock prayer chain going for his intentions. Miraculously the fine orthopedic surgeons at Rhode Island Hospital rebuilt his leg with the insertion of a rod, skin grafting and plastic implants to replace lost muscle mass. All that remained of his leg was bone that was filled with debris. Infection would have meant amputation. He underwent five operations within three weeks, and he is currently in a rehab facility outside Boston. I spoke to my sister last night and she said doctors are astonished at the amazing progress he has made. He’s off all pain meds and hopping around with a walker. None of this would have been possible without divine intervention. Praise be to God.

Chris

Comment

I too have faith as well as the knowledge that my surgeon is one of the best in Western Canada. I feel incredibly fortunate to have been able to get him for the surgery.
                        He explained in the begining that he would not advise a partial fusion as it would probably mean going back in at a future date, so I knew going in that it would be to the sacrum. However at L5 he said I had a very stiff hard to adjust angle and he said they had a lot of trouble with it. That is where the problem lies. It was corrected only as much as he could manage. He will go above it and do the osteotomy as he says it can not be straighten anymore than he has already done.
                        I want to thank everyone for the words of encouragement and prayers.
                        Linda...thanks for the visualization, you made my day!!
                        CarolS
                        68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
                        Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
                        Osteotomy March 20,2008
                        Thrilled with results!

Comment

Chriswbs-I am so happy for your nephew's successful surgery and that he will walk again. I also wish you a most successful surgery! Ly

Carol-I wish you all the best on your upcoming surgery. I hope it is an easier recovery for you. Ly
                          Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 01-10-2008, 12:21 PM.

Comment

ohhhhmy......

Bless both of your hearts (Carol and Trulyaries) for facing yet ANOTHER surgery. We would hope these won't be as bad as the original surgeries, but I sure understand the reluctance to do it. I often wonder how many of us will need to be "tweaked" to get good final results on our backs. When your quality of life is not where it should be, then I can see where you would not have much choice. Let us all know how you do....
                            Lisa age 47
                            T curve 69 degrees
                            L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                            fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                            anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                            pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Regarding further surgeries...

Dr. Boachie told me upfront that there was a 50-50 chance that he (or someone) would have to go in and extend my fusion, which stops at L5, to the sacrum. When I pressed him about that, he said my fusion is short enough (starts at T10) that I might get "20 good years" out of my present fusion. By the time I'm 72 (20 years from now), who knows what new technology they may have that will make revision surgeries more successful and easier to bear.

All I know is, I am going to baby the hell out of my back for the rest of my life. No horseback riding, weight lifting, jogging, or tennis for me.

Chris -- I'm happy for your nephew. Thank goodness he's okay. I wish I could have the faith that you have. I have a BIT of faith but I still tend to regard life as a bit of a crapshoot -- especially when it comes to this surgery!! I tried to up the odds of a good outcome by picking a world-famous surgeon. Only time will tell if it has truly paid off.
                              Chris
                              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                              X