No announcement yet.

sensitive around the incision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been away from the forums for awhile over the holidays, but thought I would add my 2 cents. My daughter still has sensitivity around her incision area, although it has gotten better, she still doesn't like the feeling if I touch her back. I bought vitamin E, and maderma to put on her scar, she still will not allow me to do it. I asked her doctor about it, he said the feeling should fade over time, and it does seem to be. She is not nearly as "jumpy" as she was a month or two ago. And, keep thinking positive thoughts--it is tough to watch our children deal with this, but, at least the worst is behind us!

Comment

She did let me put the vitamin E gently on her scar with a q-tip. It was the areas around the scar that were too sensitive. I just bought her a long handled spongy thing that she can use by herself. She actually started touching her own back with it and I believe that is the key. She needs to be in control and not fearful of others hurting her. She can use it in the shower, as well.

How often do I apply vitamin E? I forgot to ask.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

I didn't use vit. E on Joe but I think it would be ok to use everyday or right after Nicole showers.

Renee

Comment

I never used Maderma, Vitamin E or anything on Jamie's back. And Melissa, you've seen how fade her scar is, remember? Within a year after surgery, her scar was barely noticeable.

Jamie's back too was very sensitive immediately after surgery. I don't remember how long it took but she doesn't care who touches her back now. One thing she does experience is the fact her back is hyper sensitive to some touch. For example, if you run your finger down her back, it seems to tickle her a lot more now than before surgery. Other than that, she is fine.

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Thanks. It is hard to imagine that the scar will fade. But I have seen it on others with my own two eyes. So I believe that is true.
            Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

I'm an adult at 8 months post-op, and thought I'd add my 2 cents also, in case it helps any... my back is still really "touchy" and the only true washing I do for it is letting the shower water run down it--and the shampoo probably cleans it a little. Sometimes I also have body wash on a washcloth and will grab one corner of it with my hand over my shoulder and the other corner I grab with the other hand in the small of my back area, then I sort of see-saw the wash cloth back and forth. I am sure I would never allow my husband or anyone else to try that. I have no idea if there are dirty looking spots or not, but I don't think so. I also have one of those long/reacher-type sponge lotion applicators and I'll rub lotion on my back when it feels itchy and dry. It sends weird sensations, but is ok since I control it. It kind of feels nice, if I take it easy and do it when and where I want it. That's why it's important to control it yourself. My incision is 20" long. And I don't like my husband to touch my back anywhere near the incision, even through my clothes. Sorry, Moms, but let your kids win on this if at all possible. It just is strange/weird/uncomfortable to have even a loved one touching you. I'm sure it will get better with time.

I did a little bit of PT right after coming home from the hospital--very basic and simple. I've been going to PT for more advanced (HA!--I'm 56, so figure what that means!) work for a couple of months now, and I've also noticed lately that as I've increased some of my arm exercises (and they connect with those severed back muscles), I am getting more/different feelings in my back. I'm assuming that must be a good sign that the nerves are repairing (?) as the muscles are being used-- or something. I don't know that my surgeon would have prescribed PT if it hadn't been that I needed help with my leg and arm strength. Please understand, I was never a wimp or weakling--at least not in my own eyes... but you use your back muscles for so much and then all of a sudden you can't, so you have to make up for it with your arms and legs... I am not to do any trunk work at this point. Actually, I just finished going to PT last week, but have an "at home" regimen I will continue with till I wear out or achieve success. Not sure which will win out.... My PT guy was great-- and he said to let him know if/when I think I'd better return, and he would contact my doctor. I didn't start this additional PT until after my 6 months check up. I'm glad it was later, as then I could do more and felt more like it. My insurance only covers it for a limited time. Sorry this is too long. I can't ever figure out how to shorten it!
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks Susie and good luck to you. I would never want to do anything to hurt Nicole. She is happy with the sponge on the stick that I bought her. She can scratch her back with it or try to use it in the shower. I will only touch her scar to rub Vitamin E gently on it. She was fine with that.
                The best to you.
                Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa,

I was just checking up on you guys! We go for the 6 month post op follow up on the 22nd of Jan and expect all to be fine. Amanda is actually 6 months post op the 16th but have exams that week so rescheduled the next week as they are off from school that Monday and Tuesday. We have gone back to the health club to swim. We walk on the treatmill, and swim, and in the last month are trying to different things to stretch those muscles. She is finding it really stiff and different to swim. She tried the elliptical machines last night, but didn't really feel comfortable. She tires quickly. She's doing more but we are keeping it easy. He scar is very itchy and still very sensitive to touch. The clorine makes it more itchy, and the Keloid scar doesn't help. She is complaining of twinges and such on her back, but nothing substantial. She says it is not piercing pain, just twitches and we think it is just slight muscle spasms. She too uses the sponge on a stick in the shower, and we have yet to put anything on the scar. I hesitate to use anything since I haven't gotten any feedback of any proven help. Take care. Stay in touch.
                  Shirley
                  Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Shirley,

that is great. Nicole is not cleared to do anything other than walk. That better change in March or I will be really upset and very impatient. I asked the surgeon what I could put on and he said Vitamin E. But he didn't act like it mattered if I did it or not. I hope your 6 month goes well. Please keep us posted.
                    Melissa

Comment

Incision tingling sensitivity & fading

Hi all ~
                      Just checking in after about 3 weeks of not lurking in the forum for all the holiday hoopla. My daughter Amanda is now 9 weeks post-op.
                      We went back for her 1st follow-up. They did the x-rays, which looked just as good as when we left the hospital, and the doctor had her touch her toes - twice!!!
                      After the 6 weeks of no bending or twisting they have now cleared her to do several activities - none of which she had ever done previously, and will still not do.... mild jogging, swimming, and bike riding. She is a dancer, so they said, okay, very mild dancing, not sure what that means. She's missing out on being in her HS musical production of West Side Story, but did land the assistant director spot, (she says that means get coffee for the director), but she's pleased to be back at school and feeling a bit more normal.
                      The worst part may be over as finals end tomorrow, and her work load from school and catching up on all the assignments has been, for her, almost as bad as the surgery itself. She's just a bit angry over the whole enchilada, which I can certainly understand. She's been extremely tough, and as far as physical well being goes at this two month post-op point, ... irritable as expected because of finals... but has more stamina than I had anticipated after the initial surgery, and she says her back has all those strange sensations you all have mentioned in this thread.
                      As she's a huge hugger, I have been very careful to give only -air hugs- but forgot the other day and hugged/patted her just out of instinct.... ooohh mistake. I actually felt pain myself as I shuddered that I may have hurt her!
                      She said it's not that bad, she's just not used to having the back touched, just like you all have said.
                      Mary

Comment

Hi Mary,
                        Glad to hear everything's going well with Amanda. I actually did the same thing the other day to Chris. I hugged him and started patting his back and he jumped and screamed "OWWWWW!!!". I kept apologizing over and over again and I felt horrible. The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt him, but like you said, it's just instinct sometimes. That's my bad mother story for the day. *Sigh*.
                        Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
                        Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
                        Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Mary,

I am very glad to hear that Amanda is progressing well. Could you please tell me what her fusion is. At her two month, Nicole was told she could still not do anything other than walking. I believe he is afraid of a fall. He better let her do everything at 6 months or I don't know how I will keep my patience. The funniest thing at our appt is when the surgeon and another orthopedic asked Nicole to bend down and she looked at them with horror and said, "I'm not allowed to do that." We all laughed. Who do you think said she wasn't allowed to do that and who is now telling her to do that. But we couldn't convince her to try to bend. She is so afraid of doing something wrong and needing another surgery that it may get in the way of her doing what she is supposed to do. She still walks around straight all the time. I told her that if she is fused by March, she really needs to start bending and moving.
                          Melissa

Comment

getting moving again

Hi Melissa,
                            Amanda had T2-T11 fused, the thoracic only was fused. She was t58 degrees with compensatory lumbar curve in the low 40's. Her scar starts right beneath the last bend in the neck and goes down to her natural waist. Although the doctor gave her more clearance, she's not really buying it, and told me the other day, like Nichole I'm sure feels, she's just scared to do to much. That's okay, I asked the doctor how they tell when the bone has fused and didn't really get a medical answer, more like, we just tell by how the patient is doing, no fevers, less pain, etc. He said it can be up to a year for some, so I'm not pushing it. Amanda lost so much weight during the first month, but has now quickly begun to gain it back after all the holiday cooking. She's used to eating a lot though, but exercising with dance so much that she always stayed real fit. She says now that she's not dancing or exercising, she's getting a little extra skin on the belly, she calls Tina the tummy!

Mary

Comment

Mary,

That explains it. She only had the upper fused. I believe that is why she is being given the permision to do so much. Nicole has 26 screws in her back so her surgeon is much more conservative.

I was told that they can see the fusion on the x-rays.

I wish Amanda continued success with her recovery.
                              Melissa

Comment

Hi Sherie, Melissa, and Mary,

I hope all your girls are doing well. We went to Amanda's 6 month post op appointment today and was given full clearance to do whatever we approve of. She is still very cautious however, but that is good. She goes back in 6 months, and then every year. She goes for her year MRI in March to make sure the spinal cord issues are still as they should be, so hopefully no more surgery! Two in less than a year is enough for anyone. We are looking foward to a calmer year as far as Amanda's health, or at least we hope! Her fusion being high was the best thing for this smoother, quicker recovery I think. Plus her swimming prior was good for her health before, and after both these surgeries. All of you stay in touch on the forum or by email. Shirley
                                Shirley
                                Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Working...
                                X