Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolfing/SI expectations...

Hi everyone,

I scheduled my first rolfing appointment which is in a couple weeks. I was wondering if anyone has done rolfing and if so what are some reasonable expectations I can have...

My hopes are to help straighten the curve- I'm still set on proving doctors wrong somehow - to help fix my shoulders which are out of whack because of the scoliosis and to hopefully gain some length in my torso so my ribs aren't sitting on top of my hip bones... I'm assuming those are pretty unrealistic so I was hoping for some feedback on what I can really expect to happen.

Thanks everyone and I'll definitely keep you updated on how it goes. My bank account is slim right now so if I like it I'll only be able to afford to go once a month so I won't be posting that often.

Thanks,

Hi:

Our daughter, Esme, is having Rolfing treatments. She has had about six treatments now spaced about two weeks apart. Her posture has improved greatly - it is most noticable right after the treatment. When I run my fingers along Esme's back after the SI treatments I can feel that her spine has actually moved into a straighter position. This does not last though - however the therapist says (and we hope) that over time her curves will stay in the corrected position longer. Esme's Rolfer says Esme's spine is unravelling (unrotating) and I think I agree with her.

Our Rolfing therapist asked Esme to do yoga three times a week to keep herself flexible, oxygenate her tissue and because it is a complement to the Rolfing. There are some great books on yoga for scoliosis if you don't want to actually go to a formal class.

When we were first going for the Rolfing Esme's paediatrician suggested there would be bruising involved - this is not true and if you are bruised by the Rolfer it is not necessary. The manipulation can be uncomfortable for a moment or two or can feel very pleasurable.

Good luck with your treatments. I'd love to hear how it goes..........

Ruth
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Rolfing is the way to go...surgery or not

hi everybody,

I am 52 and had surgery in Houston when I was 13 after wearing a body cast for two years.

it has taken all this time to find a good rolfer..in Santa Fe

It means a huge jump in my quality of life and I highly recomend it to you..

do not go if the rolfer thinks it has to hurt..this means he/she is working against the body and not with it...it needs to be firm and on the edge of being to much pain...leave if they consistantly go over the top with you.

Comment

Working...
      X