Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 degree curve - op or brace?

Hey ,
    I have a 40 degree thoratic lumbar curve. At first i was totally against surgery, so i wanted a brace. Now, ive had the boston brace for 2 months and its really hard to cope with. No clothes disguise it well and im always uncomfortable. I get upset everyday and noone understands what im going through. So ive been thinking, i want the operation as the brace is too hard for me to cope with.

I told my doctor and he doesnt recommend this, as my spine wont grow any more (and im only 5ft tall).
    Im just so confused! What do you guys think? Is 40 degrees bad enough for and operation?

Thanks

x x x x x

Hi-
    Sorry about the Boston Brace being so uncomfortable - my son wore one also & hated it too. I am curious - how long are they having you wear the boston brace for? I don't think surgeons usually perform fusion surgery on curves similar to yours, but perhaps there are other factors coming into play for you?

Have you heard about Vertebral Stapling? It may be another option for you. I have posted an article here on the forum under Parents& Family Members, it is called "stapling article"

Best of luck!
    Last edited by nate03; 01-02-2008, 11:53 AM.
    Cara, Mom to Nathan
    Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
    Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
    VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
    Dr. Hresko
    40 Degrees before VBS
    11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Scoli-babii:
      Sorry to hear your brace is bothering you so much. My daughter didn't like her hard braces either. She is wearing a Spinecor now and while she isn't "in love" with it she can manage to wear it and unless she tells people no one even knows she is wearing it. We did not even have to buy any new clothes when she got the Spinecor - all her clothes still fit her.
      Personally I wouldn't want the surgery unless it was absolutely necessary so try to hang in there with the brace and check out the Spinecor website (just google "Spinecor").
      Ruth
      Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

brace it... surgery can be expensive if it doesnt fit the budget but if u want it fast then surgery is the way to go. Try wearing jackets over your clothes. Since jackets are larger , they tend to hide it better

Comment

Thug, your advice comes from ... ? And you're HOW old?
          Last edited by txmarinemom; 01-08-2008, 10:33 PM.
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
            Thug, your advice comes from ... ? And you're HOW old?
            Go to scoliosispt.net for further information.

Comment

Scolithug, Your idea for wearing jackets to disguise the brace is a good one. They worked well for one of my friends (back in the day when my friends and I were teens!)
              daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
              -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
              -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
              -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Also when u sit, if u lean foward a bit, there will be a slight hump on the back xD from the seperation of the brace and your back xD

Comment

Working...
                X