What type of chair and bed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of chair and bed?

Hi... I have a cobb angle scolosis and I am planning to buy a new chair for myself and I am thinking of a mesh chair for my desk that I plan to sit on for many hours a day. Or what is the best chair for people with scoliosis?

What type of bed is good/recommended usually?

Some may differ, but our chiro had us get a firm matress for our daughter. He also mentioned that instead of a new one we could stick a board in between the matresses we had to keep it from sagging. We just went and bought a semi-firm matress. She also sleeps with a pillow that looks like a donut.
    I would make sure the chair is very supportive of your back. You may not be interested, but you can get the ones that don't have a back on them, they help you sit up straight. They are made for long hours at a desk. Also, you may have already done this, but in case you haven't I would buy a monitor stand to raise your monitor to keep you from 'slouching' while working. We did this for my husband and it made a huge difference. HTH
    Tina

Comment

thanks... any other advise?

Comment

What type of chair

Hi! aNdYc ,We have to renember all of our backs are curved a little different ..The best way to find the right chair is to go to a store which carries alot of different ones and take the time to try them out and even than the longer you sit in the chair they may feel different.There are some placeies which actually mold the chair to your back(heard about but don't know much) The way some chairs are shaped just do not feel good on our spines. Some times your boss at work will buy you a chair but make sure you pick it out. As for beds a firm mattress feel good to me,plus I bought a memory foam mattress topper and put it on top aaa! it is heaven! Also I bought another twin memory foam mattress topper and folded it in thirds and put it in a long pillow case and use it in any chair I am sitting in it will be just long enough for you to sit on and it goes almost all the way up your back and aaa! heaven! I must love heaven ha!ha! Hope this helps send me a message if you need more infor.Alma in Alaska

Comment

Office Chair for Workplace

1/22/08

Posted a thread regarding office chairs on 1/19/08.
          Wondering if those who have experience with theirs could please share
          any further information --- name of chair, experience with, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
          Thank you.
          bjmk

Comment

I think Alma's advice is the best - all office supply stores have a lot of chairs on display for you to try and that's the easiest way to find out what feels best. When I was working I searched out an office chair just that way and found one with a solid but comfortable seat, which also had 3 different adjustments: tilt back/forward, up/down, and adjustable lumbar support. My company was kind enough to pay for it. No, I don't remember the brand, but seek and you shall find! I'm not sure a mesh chair would be good because it might be a little "harsh" and not offer enough lumbar support. But again I couldn't say unless I sat in it.
            FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
            10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
            8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
            5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
            2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
            3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Most of the major office suppliers (Office Depot, Staples, etc.) have 14 day returns (for any reason - just don't pull off the tag ... the item has to still carry the UPC code) on furniture.

Just like a bed, it's tough to "try on" an office chair and get an accurate feel without "bonding" for longer than you can in the store.

Test drive until you find a keeper ;-).

Regards,
              Pam
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

In response to the bed question:
                I bought a 4 inch memory foam topper to go on my bed. I also bought a twin size to use on the hospital bed I would be sleeping on in the living room at the start of my recovery. I got them a few weeks before surgery and really enjoyed sleeping in my bed with the topper. Well I got home from the hospital and found that I couldn't sleep on the 4 inch topper on the hospital bed. It hurt my back. I sent my daughter out the next day to buy a 2 in topper at Kmart. That did the trick for the hospital bed, for the first 4 weeks... Then I found it wasn't enough. I got rid of the hospital bed at 5 weeks and started sleeping in my own bed on the 4 inch topper and the first night I cried after I settled into bed. It felt so good! I think my back just had to heal a bit before I was ready for such a thick topper. I found mine online at overstock.com at a great price but you can find them all over the place. Good luck and I hope this helps.
                Geish
                47 years old, dx at 13
                +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

I'm with Geish ... I LOVE my 2" memory foam topper (Target ... ±170 for the deluxe king-sized), and I even picked up a 1" for my "couch" (actually, a leather futon that reclines into several positions from straight up to lying flat).

My son slept on it when he was home on leave - as did I, the last night before he went back to the Corps so he could relish a *real* bed ;-) - and even the 1" makes a huge difference (personally, I prefer the 2").

Today's mission (a.k.a. "Task #74") is to find a way to secure the thing onto the futon so I can have somewhere else besides bed to hang out after surgery!

And Geish is absolutely correct you can snag some GREAT deals on these on overstock.com. Cheap shipping too!

Regards,
                  Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam,
                    Chris loves his memory foam topper so I've been thinking about buying one for myself. I've heard they tend to hold the heat in though. Any thoughts on that? My hubby tends to always be hot and I'm always cold, so I'm not sure how that would work out......
                    Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
                    Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
                    Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Heya, Lori ...

I don't notice mine holding heat, but have read some find them warm (I'm always cold, so probably not a good person to ask - LOL).

Regards,
                      Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                      EMAIL ME

Comment

There is a store called Relax The Back that has office chairs that can be customized to fit your back. They also have mattress toppers, and other bedding aids (foam wedges, etc.) Their website is www.relaxtheback.com.
                        One of my friends has a travel seat that was custom made for her, and she takes it EVERYWHERE. They are a bit pricey, but will last a long time.

Comment

chairs

Originally posted by bjmk18
                          1/22/08

Posted a thread regarding office chairs on 1/19/08.
                          Wondering if those who have experience with theirs could please share
                          any further information --- name of chair, experience with, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
                          Thank you.
                          bjmk

I found an item online called the "Howda" seat. It is kind of odd looking online, but I ordered one and it is awsome!!!
                          I had surgery two years ago and had not found a comfortable seat until this. It is wonderful.
                          Check it out!
                          charline

Comment

sleep number bed

I have pretty severe (two 90 degree curves) scoliosis that results from hemivertebrae and I recently purchased a sleep number bed. So far its been great- I like the adjustable firmness- when I am more sore I set it softer, etc. It was crazy expensive but I hope it will be worth it- it is supposed to last 20 or 30 years.

I still don't have a comfortable chair- but this is next on my list.

Comment

Working...
                            X