Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scoliosis screening

I got a question for you guys.
    How many of you people get checked for scoliosis at school. Not to many happen where i live and 2/5 children get it, let me know... Thanks
    Jodi Lynn
    Milwaukee Brace from age 11-13
    Surgery June 30th (age 14)
    Now 16 and as happy as ever
    *Brace Yourself*

Jodi:
    Scoliosis screening isn't done in the school's in Ottawa, Ontario. I am writing a letter to our City health department to ask that they start scoliosis screening again since there are new treatments for smaller curves now.
    Ruth
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

i don't think there are to many places that do screening i wanna write a note to the school board.
      Jodi Lynn
      *Brace Yourself*

Comment

My elementary school had them a time or two when I was younger.
        I don't think they do it anymore though
        One my friends actually found out that she scoliosis that way.
        But luckily hers was a veryyyy small degree, 11 or 12 maybe?
        It's been soooo long ago I don't remember
        But anyway, it was not long after I had gotten my back brace, and her mom called my mom in a panic because all she knew of scoliosis was my case, which was more severe and it scared her to death
        It surprises me how little people do know about it sometimes

Comment

Jodi:
          Very recently I spoke with the Trustee Chairperson of the Ottawa Catholic School Board who is a registered nurse about getting the scoliosis screening reintroduced. While she encouraged me to pursue asking the city health department about getting it reintroduced, she did not offer me any help. This was disappointing to say the least given how important this is!
          Ruth
          Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

If you take your child to the doctor every year, here the doctors always look for scoli at their yearly check-ups. That is how we found out.
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Both my elementary and high schools were great about screening for scoli; atleast once a year every child was checked during gym class. Thats how my scoli was found! My own doctor didn't find it during my yearly check-ups. I was put in the Boston Brace a fews month after my school nurse found it.
              Francesca
              19 years old College Soph
              Diagnosed: 6th grade (can't remember curve degrees)
              Boston Brace 2000-2002, 23/7...
              Curves reside at 35T and 33L
              Aug 2002: Osteoid Osteoma (tumor) removed from L3
              Jan 26.. diagnosed with slow progressing DDD and sacroiliitis.. get fitted for my new SI Belt on the 31st

Comment

Scolio

HEy jodi, I finally got it activated ^_^ yay

ANyway, none of the district screens and I live in Minnesota which I understand is a fairly progressive state in health research and technology.(correct me if Im wrong) Anyway, I have never been screened at school and my wonderful family doctor didnt even think of screening until I was 12. (SHe also detected my astigmatism at a very young age) Even so, we changed fromt hat doctor due to distance and the other doctor was as unexperienced as you could guess. He didn't even check if my heart murmur was an issue let alone check for scoliosis!

I think that we should all fight for scolio screenings in schools yearly! I ve heard that for free every child can get a scolio screening once a year at school, if the school decides to set aside time to accomadate this!

I believe this is a wonderful thing to see and if you look most people are diagnosed by doctors they have had for life, but what about the people that dont or cant afford to go to the doctor?
                Danielle
                14 Freshwoman
                December 1st got no head the boston brace
                Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
                In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
                In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
                We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

we need to do something at least to get it started. kids in my grade have scoli and don't know about it and it can help people out alot
                  Jodi Lynn
                  *Brace Yourself*

Comment

right now i am writing a persuiasive letter to my community hoping to get something going!!!
                    Jodi Lynn
                    *Brace Yourself*

Comment

jodi who are you writing it to? i want to write one too! ha but i dont know if it should go to the mayor or the superintendent or my principal! lolz..
                      Danielle
                      14 Freshwoman
                      December 1st got no head the boston brace
                      Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
                      In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
                      In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
                      We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

I am attaching a letter I have written to the Medical Officer of Health. I chose him since his office deals with preventing illnesses (i.e., adminster flu shots). I have carbon copied our local Councillor, the Mayor and our provincial Member of Parliament and sent them an email too asking for their support.

Ruth
                        Last edited by rtremb; 01-15-2008, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Where we live, our doctors look at our children's back every year at their check-ups. That is how we found out about Nicole.
                          Melissa
                          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Ruth
                            I just wanted to make a comment about your writing a letter to your school board. Have you considered going provincial with it? Maybe even a petition. To my knowledge there is no scoliosis screening in any public school in Ontario. Would be wonderful (but costly I imagine) to impliment and there would be lots of support from many parents. The other thing I wanted to point out is that the screening should be done more then once, and probably at different times for boys and girls. My sons curves progressed very rapidly within the 8 months from time of discovery to surgery. I have photos of him sitting by the pool 12 months previous to discovery, perfect view of his back, and absolutely no sign of scoliosis, no rib hump, no curved spine. We will never know if early intervention could have stopped his progression but I wish we had the chance to try.
                            Good luck with your letters and you have my support.
                            Ramona
                            mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
                            diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
                            also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
                            fused T4 to L1

Comment

Ramona:

Thanks for your comments and support. My letter is to the Ottawa Medical Officer of Health who is also the provincial representative here in Ottawa.

I have copied the letter to Jim Watson who was previously the Minister of Health Promotion for Ontario and is our local provincial representative. I know him and his staff well from my community work. I also copied the Mayor who used to be my neighbour and our City Councillor who I also know very well from my community work. Hopefully by spreading the letter around someone will pick it up as a "good idea" and work it. I personally don't have time to do a Petition at the moment but I agree a Petition is a good idea.

I agree that early detection is everything especially with the new treatments available and I also agree with you that the screening should be done more than once during the teen years. The medical staff are in the schools administering vaccinations in Grades 7 and 8 here in Ottawa so this would be an efficient way to do the repeated screening.

I decided that involving the School Boards at this time wouldn't do any good. They won't be the ones paying for the screening. Also I spoke to the Chairperson of the Ottawa Catholic Board and I didn't get the impression she wished to take this on as and promote it. She is a nurse and did suggest I take my idea to the local health office. If the province or the City decide to start doing the screening the School Boards will have to cooperate at that time since they have to provide access to the students for issues regarding public health.

Anyway, I will wait and see what happens now that I have sent my letter out...see who responds and what their attitude(s) are towards this idea.

Ruth

Comment

Working...
                              X