GYM workout for scoliosis people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GYM workout for scoliosis people

Hi, I love working out in the gym and I understand that the best type of excercise in a gym is swimming. What else should we DO or NOT DO in a gym? Is running for 20 min on a threadmill good for my back? Or even do some cyclings?

What are some great excercise besides swimming that can also help my scoliosis?

HI
    I'm no expert --!! but I have scoliosis (20' curves or so). I run religiously and have run 4 marathons. I do a lot of weight and resistence training to stablize the back- i started i high school when i found out i had scoliosis. (I'm 41ys old). i'd check with a good PT to get some safe training tips!!

Comment

any other recommendations?

Comment

Yoga, yoga, yoga! ;-)
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

My daughter loves the elliptical

My daughter likes to run but it hurts her back and she just started going to the gym to use the elliptical - is that how you spell it? She says that she thinks it was sent down to her from heaven - she feels like it's just the right thing for her. I'm so happy for her!

Comment

I like to workout too, I have been doing core muscle targeting exercises, my physical therapy exercises and stretches, my favorite weight trainning machine the Back Extension, I also swim.
            Swimming and yoga and core targeting exercises are all fantastic for Scoli from what I have heard and experienced.
            Running is hard on your back and knees, plus I fine the treadmill boring. If you wanna run it's much more fun on an outdoor track or if you have a big yard in your yard. I love to bicycle too, it is hard on my back though and I end up in a lot of pain and discomfort. A recumbent bike is much easier on your back though. I have a moutain bicycle and I don't think being hunched over is the best for my back. A recumbent bicycle is probably better.
            You can find some books about yoga and exercises for Scoli at bookstores and online on Amazon.com
            Good Luck

Comment

I was told that jumping on a trampoline is the worst thing for your back, by a surgeon.

Some yoga moves bother her back...and if they hurt we don't do them.
              age 15
              Daughter diagnosed at age 13
              T20 l23 10-09
              T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
              T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
              T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
              Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
              Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Working...