December Surgeries: Recovery Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the update!

NZ--what a great update! I'm so excited for you with the super report from your doctor and how well everything is going. I'm sure that's such an encouragement to so many still contemplating or facing the surgery. Bryan probably doesn't feel the frustration that you do. Make sure he knows you wish you could do more, but don't try to do it until it's time! He seems like an understanding and caring person. Remember, your main work right now is to HEAL. That includes knowing your limitations and abiding by them. it's ok for us to push ourselves, but only within those parameters. And have fun with your new kitten! All the names sound cool. Hopefully the kitten will bring you a much needed diversion! Take care...
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

A little victory...

So I've been having a hard time celebrating how well my back is healing - no real pain, unless I move the wrong way, and just a bit of muscle soreness - because I've been getting dizzy often, and getting a lot of comments about looking "thin and pale." I'm looking into the dizziness with my primary care...

BUT I have a little victory to share. I tried on a dress today that I bought pre-op. When I bought it it was loose in some places and tight in others; it fit, but not well. I just tried it on and it looks MUCH better - I may actually get it taken in. I think I just might like my new body...
      2000 34*L/39*T
      2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
      (initially planned T4-L1)
      12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Vndy,
        Congratulations on the new body and the new way that clothes fit! I have been told that I look thin and pale too. But I know I lost 10 pounds total and it just looks like more because I am 2 inches taller! What are you gonna do?

NZgirl,
        How's the new kitten? Congratulations on the great check up with your surgeon. Glad to hear that you seem to be ahead of schedule. Good luck on your thesis work.

I started back coaching wrestling last Saturday. It was great to see my team after being gone since the 5th of December. I was with them for 4 hours. It wore me out but I wouldn't have walked away a minute earlier for anything. This is my 7th year coaching at the local high school and i love those boys like they are my own kids.
        I finally got all of the steri strips off and most of the discoloration is gone from around the incision so I though I would post a before and after of just the back so you can see how much of a correction I have. I know it isn't perfect, but I am so grateful for the amount of correction I have and I think it looks pretty darn good! I hope I added them correctly or I will have to go back and edit!

Take care everyone and keep posting your progress, both good and bad.
        Alicia
        Geish
        47 years old, dx at 13
        +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
        Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Ok, I think maybe I've just been given the push I need to get serious about getting serious! Love the tatoo, by the way! I am totally astounded at the difference in the before and after. You must be so pleased! In looking at your before picture it's almost like looking in a mirror at my back and we're so close to the same age (I turned 45 yesterday). Our curves are a bit different, but they are similar, so I'm really interested in hearing about your experience. I don't know how tall you are but I'm a whopping 5' and 1/2" so the thought of growing 2 inches is pretty exciting for me.
          Becky
          Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
          Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
          Becky, 46 years old
          Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
          Ignored until 448/07
          Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
          Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
          Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
          Fused T-10 to L-5
          14 titanium pedicle screws
          Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
          Email

Comment

I had my 8 week post op today! After the 4 hour car ride to get down the snowy/icy mountain and into LA it looks like my fusion is coming along just fine! It still cracks me up that I am not supposed to go anywhere in the car that takes close to 3 hours to get to (I was told Las Vegas was definitely off limits and it is 3 hours) yet the Dr has no problem with the fact that when it snows up here it takes me 4 hours just to get to him. It was only a 2 1/4 hour drive home though...go figure!

I have to go back in 8 weeks and I should be able to leave my brace at the Dr's office when I leave! I was cleared to actually get out of bed before I put it on finally. That will be a nice change. I was also cleared to take a bath...I can't wait! I sure do miss my tub. All other restrictions are still in place. Hope everyone else is doing well. Take care and keep us posted.
            Alicia
            Geish
            47 years old, dx at 13

Comment

almost 10 weeks post op...

Hey all,

The big news is that I went to yoga for the first time since surgery today - it went well. My (fabulous) teacher modified a lot for me (I put my hands on a chair for downward dog, for example), and didn't bend or twist at all. It was great to see how much I CAN move without bending or twisting.

My 2 month post-op went well - xrays look good, and the doc seemed pleased (Although he mistakenly thought I was 4 months post op!). I was cleared to do any forward moving activity like jogging, swimming, or the elliptical. I cannot imagine running right now, but who knows what the next weeks will bring. I did get caught in a cross walk when the light turned green, and ran about 3 steps to get to the sidewalk the other day - funny how these little things feel like achievements!

My doctor said the rib pain I'm feeling on the side will last quite a while, maybe up to 6 months (his words were "Well, we take all those muscles out, do what we need to do, and then put them back, so they'll stay sore for awhile." When I told him he made it sound so easy, he responded "It's not rocket science!").

Hope the rest of you are doing well!!!
              2000 34*L/39*T
              2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
              (initially planned T4-L1)
              12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

8 weeks post op

Had my 8 week follow up and Doc says everything looks fine - that is - all the hardware is where it should be. Too early to see bone fusion. Said if I continue to do well can wait till 6 months post op for next visit. I am off all pain meds - have been for a few weeks - and have more energy lately. I don't even nap everyday! I plan on returning to work in 2 weeks. My only worry at this time is my insurance company is making lots of noise about the bill - calling it excessive - saying they will only pay "reasonable" charges. Has anyone had such problems ? What method do they use to determine what is reasonable? I have not seen a bill yet but am afraid I'm going to get stuck with hundreds of thousand dollars!!!! Any suggestions re contesting/appealing insurance claims?

I wanted to attach before and after xrays but don't see the option?
                Jan Lotherington,
                56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
                A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
                at age 55
                Dr Bridwell

Comment

Vndy,

Good for you. I can't believe how much you are allowed to do. Nicole is not allowed to do anything. The doctor is afraid of a fall. When I asked him about activities at 2 months, he said she can't do anything. Next month at her 6 month he better give her the green light. She is being so good and so patient. But come on, she's just a kid. She wants to MOVE!!!!
                  Melissa
                  From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                  Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Melissa,

Remember, every person (and doctor) is different. Maybe Nicole's doctor wants her to go slow because SHE IS A KID. I told you, this phase is very difficult, remember? Poor Jamie had a ton of restrictions and all of her favorite activities were restricted for a full year.

Mary Lou
                    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Mary Lou,

You are right. You did tell me that. Our next appt can't come soon enough. But we have gone through this much, we don't want to ruin anything. It is so hard to be patient sometimes. But we will try. I hope your girls are doing well and that your hand is healing.
                      Melissa
                      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

I Did It!!!

I went hiking for the first time post op, actually the first time in years, yesterday. It wasn't very far, maybe between a 1/4 and a 1/2 mile each way. I went up into the mountains that surround my neighborhood. It felt wonderful and I did pretty well if I do say so myself! By the time I got to the top I was winded but the view made it worth the extra effort. I had no pain and I didn't even need a nap! I hope everyone is progressing and doing well. Stay strong.
                        Alicia
                        Geish
                        47 years old, dx at 13

Comment

Originally posted by Geish
                          I went hiking for the first time post op, actually the first time in years, yesterday. It wasn't very far, maybe between a 1/4 and a 1/2 mile each way. I went up into the mountains that surround my neighborhood.
                          Good girl, Geish ... and don't forget you did more than just the distance you measured because you had incline! The only hills we have in Houston are the overpasses - LOL ;-)

You'll be surprised at how regular (even short strolls on hurried days add up) walks/hikes will improve that lumbering feeling you described. Although mine was completely thoracic so I didn't have to wear a brace, I know the first 10 days I was so off balance (some joker rearranged all the pieces!), I couldn't walk a straight line!

I'm surprised I didn't run off my walking partners the first few days. I'd turn my head while walking to look at something and run smack into something/someone else (i..e., 'Wow, that bush is really pretty ... look at those red berries .... I wonder what it *~WHAP~*! OMG .... I'm so sorry, Ronnie!!).

Ronnie learned to be on his toes pretty quickly. Be ready 100% of the time to catch the goofy neighbor so she doesn't break herself or give someone a black eye!

I'm so proud of you, Alicia. You've done the most difficult thing already ... START!

Your cheerleaders may be a motley crew, but we're determined - LOL!!

Hugs, girlfriend,
                          Pam~
                          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

I've joined the ranks of the walking wounded!

So last night I took a small tumble down the stairs. I thought I was at the bottom but I had one more to go. I was leaving the house at 9:45 PM to pick up my younger daughter from her softball game and the outside florescent light wasn't fully lit yet. My older daughter happened to be home and she finally came out to help when she heard me using my remote car clicker to make the horn honk.
                            The back is fine but I am missing skin on both knees, making it difficult to do that whole kneeling thing I need to do to reach low objects. I also have a sprained left ankle. No bruising but it sure is fat and very tender and it hurts to put weight on it. So I guess I spend the next few days hanging out in the recliner with the foot up. I hope everyone else is doing well. Stay strong!
                            ~Alicia~
                            Last edited by Geish; 03-19-2008, 10:39 AM.
                            Geish
                            47 years old, dx at 13

Comment

So Sorry!

Geish-- that must have been one of those 'way too scary times. Glad to hear it didn't involve your back, but so sorry to hear about your knees and ankle! Rest up! Hugs!!!
                              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Alicia,

OUCH!! it must have given you quite a scare...glad your back is ok. How old is your softball daughter? My "softball" girl is 15 - just wondering if they've ever played against each other in a tournament?? Take it easy, esp. on those steps! I've come very close to taking a tumble down the stairs a couple of times. Guess the eyes don't adjust as well in the dark as they used to

Renee

Comment

Working...
                                X