Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 months post op

Hello everyone,

I am the young lady who was incompletely paralyzed from having surgery in June of this year. I am seeing slight improvements, but I get scared at times that I am not improving fast enough. I can ambulate much more quickly on my walker now, but I still have some issues with endurance and balance. I do not feel comfortable seeing my doctor anymore, so I have not gone back to see him since October. I know that this is not a good idea but I can't help it. I have really bad spasms and spascicity and would like to know if anyone out there suffers from these problems and what kind of medication you are on. Happy holidays to you all and I hope to hear from someone soon.

Littlemiss

I'm sorry I'm no help to you at all. I wanted to say I hope you have a full recovery soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers. You should consider seeing a top notch surgeon who can reevaluate your case and maybe help your situation.

Hugs and well wishes,

Comment

Littlemiss-- I'm so sorry for all you've been through. I can't help you either regarding the spasms and meds. I do want you to know I'm feeling for you too and praying you'll find the help you need. I echo Sherie in saying to find a really good surgeon. You need to be seeing someone, and if you don't feel comfortable with your surgeon anymore, by all means go find someone who you can trust. In the meantime, I hope you have a Merry Christmas-- and a New Year where things can do a turnaround and go in the right direction with your recovery.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

It's good to hear from you again and I'm sorry you are still having major problems. I would agree with Sherie that you need to be evaluated by another scoliosis doc. If you tell us where you live, you'll probably get a few good suggestions.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Littlemiss,
          I had read your first post ages ago and really felt for you, and was wondering how you were going. I know that spinal injuries make progress over a long period of time, and that intensive physical therapy in the early stages is essesntial for making recovery. I would suggest that you should be proactive in seeking out rehabilitation, and if you don't like one doctor see another. I hope that you continue to make progress.

From a personal perspective, after my first surgery I had a lot of back muscle spasms when they were stimulated with light touch. It was horrible, but it settled down after a long period of time. I also had hypersensitivity that took a long time to settle. There are lots of examples of how this stuff takes time to heal, however everyone is different. I really hope that things continue to improve, and keep posting your progress, there are people here that care.
          1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
          2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
          2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
          Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
          X