Can anyone "correct" their curve??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone "correct" their curve??

When I showed my PT what I can do she said she had never seen that before in any scoliosis patient.

What I mean by "correct": When I stand without flexing you can see the indent in my right side and my left side bulge (left lower lumbar 20-25 degree curve).

But, I can flex my abs and back muscles so that when looking at me standing up you could not tell I have a curve. The PT said she could feel the spine straighten as well- I'm not sure if I believe that since I don't think its logical to be able to move bones just by flexing the muscles around them.

Anyways I was just wondering if anyone else can do this?

Or, if anyone knows that since I can do it I maybe have more flexibility and strength in my spine and hopes of stopping the progression or possibly reducing the curve...

Thanks,

Tracy,

I'm not sure if I believe that since I don't think its logical to be able to move bones just by flexing the muscles around them.
    "Flexing" or contracting muscles is precisely what moves bones. By themselves they're just relatively solid objects with absolutely no mechanism or means to move themselves. It is your muscles that create the movement of the skeletal system, including the flexion, extension, sidebending and rotation of the vertebrae. Many, many muscles act in very precise coordination to stabilize and mobilize the bones at their articular surfaces.

Muscles always travel from one bone to another, crossing at least one joint if not more. The reason for that is they wouldn't serve their purpose/function if a single muscle attached itself on both ends to the same bone... There would be nothing to move when it contracted. The primary purpose of muscles is to move bones. Without them we would be virtual statues.

If what you described is happening, which it may be, then it is a sign of adaptability and mobility of the segments and therefore you're possibly in a good place for better correction... barring all the numerous variables involved.

structural

Comment

Originally posted by trcylynn
      When I showed my PT what I can do she said she had never seen that before in any scoliosis patient.

What I mean by "correct": When I stand without flexing you can see the indent in my right side and my left side bulge (left lower lumbar 20-25 degree curve).

But, I can flex my abs and back muscles so that when looking at me standing up you could not tell I have a curve. The PT said she could feel the spine straighten as well- I'm not sure if I believe that since I don't think its logical to be able to move bones just by flexing the muscles around them.

trcylynn, I model part time (yes, yes ... an odd supplemental for a programmer - LOL!), and have TONS of straight on back photos where my 53° curve isn't evident - at ALL.

I posted one in "spinal rotation" (or somesuch ... just easier to re-link here ... ) that shows me last year, apparently straight waist, no curve visible. Very much not the case.

Your PT may just not have much exposure to scoli. Most don't. And while I agree muscles (and fascia) help move the bone, the effect is temporary. If you could STAND to hold that pose, you wouldn't have to worry about a curve, right?

At best, it keeps your curve flexible. (not a bad thing ever, but especially looking at surgery - and possible correction)

Regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

O/T, but - I just wanted to say to Pam that you look fabulous and that it's brilliant to know that you model and your scoliosis has never caused any problems there! That's something that will make a lot of teens here feel a lot better about themselves

Toni xx

Comment

LOL ... thanks, Tonibunny.

Actually, scoli was the LEAST of my issues as an adolescent.

Best regards,
          Pam
          Last edited by txmarinemom; 07-17-2008, 11:57 PM.
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

yes

yes, i've seen (and heard) about how other ppl can do that. it's simply just your muscles moving, it IS what holds your bones. (surrounds them) anyway, i'm glad you mentioned that and pointed it out, as i HAVE seen things like that before. i'm glad someone could help you. thoughts and prayers, ~*val*~
            Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
            I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
            My curves were 30 and 31
            I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
            I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
            I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
            I want to meet some new people on this forum!
            Don't be shy...
            Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

alternative treatment to straighten curve

I think programs like scoliogold (in the UK) and www.scoliosiscorrectioncenter.com claim to straighten the curve through vibrations and exercises. Have you heard of these? I am interested but unsure of whether or not it is trustworthy, safe, etc...

Comment

Flexibility of the spine??

I thought I'd ask a question here pertaining to flexibility of the spine.
                Before my surgery, my bone density was great but my flexibility was bad. So my 95 curve was reduced to 60. Yet I've heard of many that get so much more correction due to there flexibility that are older than I? Hey, believe me, I'm happy with what they could do for me..
                But what determines flexibility of the spine? Is it the muscles, heriditary etc?
                I always felt I could touch my toes & stretched well? why was'nt my spine flexible, is it years of muscles built up holding the curve? Thk s
                Ly

Comment

Originally posted by trcylynn View Post
                  (left lower lumbar 20-25 degree curve).

Or, if anyone knows that since I can do it I maybe have more flexibility and strength in my spine and hopes of stopping the progression or possibly reducing the curve...

Thanks,
                  my dd has a 25* Lumbar and 25* Thoracic curves, when we do the exercises there are days her curve is reduced. Is it temporary? Although I have to agree if you study the spine it is a dynamic organ and yes it is move able...otherwise we couldn't bend side to side or touch our toes. The function of the muscles is to move our body/ or bones. I have a therory on Scoliosis, but its my way of understanding this condition. My dd was very loose jointed and flexible. I think her spine is really movable. And for some unknown reason it has decided to take this form...its not fixed in this position. I believe that happens as we age...we become less flexible or limited flexibility.

My belief is that exercise would help the spine and back. To develop the weaker muscles and stretch the tight side...to balance the individual.

In a sense when you stand a certain way you have created your own brace with your muscles...it would be difficult to hold for long periods of time, unless you constantly worked at it....just like holding your stomach in.

JMO just my opinion
                  age 15
                  Daughter diagnosed at age 13
                  T20 l23 10-09
                  T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
                  T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
                  T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
                  Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
                  Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

exercises are proven to be a way to help with bracing and correcting the spine, it is helpful, and reading more and more on Schroth method and SEAS exercises...clinical studies prove that combined with exercise therapy has improved outcome.

read the study:
                    http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/content/3/1/20
                    age 15
                    Daughter diagnosed at age 13
                    T20 l23 10-09
                    T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
                    T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
                    T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
                    Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
                    Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love