Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 month post-op update

Hi all,

Just wanted to give you all an update since I am now 6 months post-op. I had my check up with my surgeon today and he said that everything looked good and was fusing well. He is worried that my feeling has not come back in my left leg and wants to do a CATscan at 1 year post-op to see which screw is hurting my nerve, but I will probably opt not to go back under the knife because the nerve damage is not harming my quality to life.

Life is pretty good 6 months post-op. I just wanted to give a little encouragement to those considering surgery or are in the early stages of pre-op. I feel like my life is fairly normal, but I do have daily reminders that I've had a large surgery.

On a different thread, another person asked about the protusion of vertebrae at the top of the back. My surgeon said it was normal because the protusion occurs where my fusion ends and therefore the change is normal.

Keep up the good work everyone and happy holidays!
    Best,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Way to go. It only gets better as you go!
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Thanks for the update, Anya. I hope the nerve damage resolves itself at some point.

I was the one worried about the protruding vertebrae above the fusion (along with a zillion other things, ha-ha)...glad to hear it's "normal" -- whatever that turns out to be.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Great to hear you're doing so well and you had a good 6 month's report! It does keep getting better and better! Take care.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Anya,

Congrats on you recovery. We all heal differently, but we heal. My Dr. told me before my surgery that I may see some of my hardware through my skin because I was so small, and I can see one screw that protrudes. Other than that my back looks great. And my back looks a hell of alot better than it did before.

Shari

Comment

Six months! Time does go so fast when we're having fun, does it not?
            That is amazing, and I'm glad you are doing well. You were one of my first inspirations as I started this journey, and I am thankful for all you've shared.
            Happy Holidays to you also!
            31 year old female
            55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
            T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
            Xray, 3 mos. post-op
            Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Working...
            X