Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the kids at your school make fun of your brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this may be inconvenient for you but, my son went to the nurses office before and after Phys Ed. to take it off/put it on. If you wanted to, I am sure they would also let you change there - just a thought, I know there are no great options. Hopefully somebody here will help you come up with a plan that works ok for you - or some combination of suggestions that you work out!
    Cara, Mom to Nathan
    Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
    Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
    VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
    Dr. Hresko
    40 Degrees before VBS
    11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

I guess I will just change with all the other girls in my grades.

But how or who could I get to tighten my brace?

Who do you guys get to tighten your brace?

I would do it myself, but I cant tighten it since my straps are behind my back.
      Hi, I am Eliza. I wear a boston brace. I have wore it for 2 months almost 3. I have 2 curves in my spine. One is 25*T, the other one is 20*S. My boston brace has kept them about the same degree since I have been wearing it. My hobbies include: volleyball, my dog (his name is Amos), swimming (for fun).

Comment

When I had to take PE class in 8th grade I always changed with the other girls in the locker room, almost all of them knew about my brace so it was like it wasn't even there, it was just normal to them. And I would get my best friend who also had the class with me to help me put it back on. So hopefully you have a good friend in the class with you that can help you out.

My friends and other classmates were always really great about the brace. They didn't even pay attention to it. Of course the first time people would see it, or feel it, they would ask questions, but no one was ever mean, just curious. It does kind of freak people out if they don't know about it and they try to hug you or something haha But it's funny.
        Me and my friends would always joked about my "abs of plastic"

Comment

Eliza, what about your P.E. teacher? I'm guessing that you will have a female teacher for P.E.. What about your P. E. teacher, or another staff member, or an older, bigger girl, who might have the strength to properly tighten your brace for you? Either ask for help yourself, or have one of your parents ask the school to make arrangements for someone to help you. It won't be a big problem as it only takes a short amount of time to do it. BTW, don't worry if the other kids say anything, if they do, it will most likely out of curiosity. You'll probably draw quite a bit of attention for a while, because it's likely that not many other kids have seen someone in a brace - it's a novelty. Like others have said, it's like someone getting a cast on their arm or leg, there'll be alot of questions at first, and then it will be like you've always had it.

Comment

I was feeling exactly like you.
            So, what i did was not do PE at school, as i was embarrased and instead, i go swimming once a week and do yoga and pilates once a week.
            I feel much comfortable with this.
            Hope i helped! xxx

Comment

Eliza, what about your P.E. teacher? I'm guessing that you will have a female teacher for P.E.. What about your P. E. teacher, or another staff member, or an older, bigger girl, who might have the strength to properly tighten your brace for you? Either ask for help yourself, or have one of your parents ask the school to make arrangements for someone to help you. It won't be a big problem as it only takes a short amount of time to do it. BTW, don't worry if the other kids say anything, if they do, it will most likely out of curiosity. You'll probably draw quite a bit of attention for a while, because it's likely that not many other kids have seen someone in a brace - it's a novelty. Like others have said, it's like someone getting a cast on their arm or leg, there'll be alot of questions at first, and then it will be like you've always had it.

---

I have a female P.E. teacher so he couldnt do it. My mom is going in to talk to the teacher to see if one of my friends could tighten it for me.

I have not been wearing it lately (only through half of the day and all night)...so maybe I wont have to wear it at school. But who knows...
              Hi, I am Eliza. I wear a boston brace. I have wore it for 2 months almost 3. I have 2 curves in my spine. One is 25*T, the other one is 20*S. My boston brace has kept them about the same degree since I have been wearing it. My hobbies include: volleyball, my dog (his name is Amos), swimming (for fun).

Comment

I meant I dont have a female teacher...sorry! Typo...

Comment

Well for me, my guy friends were like "wow thats so cool" and the girls would occasionally knock on it xD , trying to tighten it, well, you'll have to do the best you can. Ive learned how to tigeten it more. From when i started i could barely do it but now i have developed a bit of arm muscle to do it :P

Comment

Originally posted by ScoliThug
                    Well for me, my guy friends were like "wow thats so cool" and the girls would occasionally knock on it xD , trying to tighten it, well, you'll have to do the best you can. Ive learned how to tigeten it more. From when i started i could barely do it but now i have developed a bit of arm muscle to do it :P
                    Thug, the worst thing you can do is adjust your brace solo.
                    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

why is that such a bad thing? my doctor said if i can do it on myself then fine, im tiny too...so its not like im some strong person, but its really not too difficult so what can be so bad about it??
                      Danielle
                      14 Freshwoman
                      December 1st got no head the boston brace
                      Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
                      In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
                      In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
                      We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Tightening your own brace ...

Elle, I did it too - from the first week in: It's not advisable because one side will inevitably get a stronger pull, and the pads will NOT be placed properly.

Just because you *can*, doesn't mean your orthotist or orthopaedic would tell you to do it. In fact, mine told me NOT to ... In 1979.

I can't imagine the brace has changed since then, or become *that* much more self adjusting. But, hey ... if your doc says do it, have at it.

Good luck with that.
                        Last edited by txmarinemom; 01-09-2008, 04:58 PM.
                        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi, i want to say when i change for PE or go to the toilet i get a school aid to help me in the disabled bathroom!
                          Its private and i really trust the aid!
                          Oh and I've never had a person make fun of me, ppl ask questions and give me funny looks but thats it.
                          hope that helpful, BraceGal
                          HI! I'm Tayla
                          I Wore A Boston Brace For 5Years!
                          It Was Taken Off May 10.
                          But... After a Review in Nov 10 My Back had got badd!!
                          Im Now On The Waiting List For Surgery To Get The Bottom Curve Fused.
                          pre surgery:
                          51 at the top.
                          49 at the bottom

<3 Tayy
                          S COLIOSIS
                          Makes Us Stronger... <3

Comment

My orthopro told me not to do it myself, either. I have a teachers aid do it, so it works very smoothly. I dont have anybody making fun or teasing me; so that was a big plus! I do have people ask a couple odd questions every now and then, but nothing to bad.

I hate when I get done with p.e. and I am all sweaty, and my brace makes it even worse. Anyone had this problem before?

Comment

Eliza,
                              yeah that happens heaps and i usally try to keep it off 4 as long as i can!
                              But usually my aid tells me "when the drs say u can have it off i'll leave it off!"
                              i get over it tho
                              i hate it when u get a sweaty inside the brace and then take it off and ur singlets wet! its horible!!

BraceGal (boston Brace 2 years)
                              HI! I'm Tayla
                              I Wore A Boston Brace For 5Years!
                              It Was Taken Off May 10.
                              But... After a Review in Nov 10 My Back had got badd!!
                              Im Now On The Waiting List For Surgery To Get The Bottom Curve Fused.
                              pre surgery:
                              51 at the top.
                              49 at the bottom

<3 Tayy
                              S COLIOSIS
                              Makes Us Stronger... <3

Comment

BraceGal,
                                Yeah I try to keep the brace off of me as possible, but my mom or dad always put it back on me. I hate when you get out of P.E. and you are all sweaty and your brace only makes matters worse; Cause well mine contains most of the heat in side of my brace so it is really hot. I hate it so much, but it will be better for the long run I guess.

Any other ideas and/or solutions?

Comment

Working...
                                X