Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the kids at your school make fun of your brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the kids at your school make fun of your brace?

I am wondering. Know one has found out, but when I take P.E. next semester. I will have to change in front of the other girls, and then they will know that I wear my brace. Anyone been made fun of the girls you change with? I am just curious...
    Hi, I am Eliza. I wear a boston brace. I have wore it for 2 months almost 3. I have 2 curves in my spine. One is 25*T, the other one is 20*S. My boston brace has kept them about the same degree since I have been wearing it. My hobbies include: volleyball, my dog (his name is Amos), swimming (for fun).

Eliza,
    Way back in the late 70's I had to wear a Milwaukee Brace. I had just started 9th grade and I was mortified to wear this horrible looking contraption. There was no way to hide the metal frame around your neck or the big metal bar coming out of the collar of your shirt. I have to tell you, not one person ever made fun of me that I was aware of. My friends stayed my friends and nothing was ever really said about the brace. I think a few people might be curious and ask a few questions, but I don't think anyone will be mean. I remember my friends wanting to know what the brace was and why I had to wear it, but that was about it. No one said a word to me when we had to change for PE and yes, I even had to wear during PE! Just remember, this too shall pass. And there is life after high school and life after your brace!
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Eliza:

Is it possible to have a private place to change if you really don't want anyone to know you wear the brace?

No one has made fun of my daughter about her brace. Her school friends (and other students) ask questions about what it is and why she has to wear it. She explains and they understand she needs it. Two of her friends have chosen to do a school science project on scoliosis - they didn't know anything about it before they saw Esme in her brace. Esme has been very open about her brace and it has not been a problem for her at all at school. She is in Grade 8.

Good luck - I think if anyone makes fun about the brace they are the one with the problem - they have a lot of growing up to do.

Do you know about the Spinekids website?

Ruth
      Last edited by rtremb; 12-05-2007, 12:40 AM.
      Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Nobody ever made fun of Nicole's Spinecor. They asked questions and were curious. Nicole was very open about her scoliosis and her brace. She really felt proud to wear the brace because she felt fortunate that it was so flexible and comfortable.
        Melissa
        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Just sort of think of it like a cast maybe - like nobody makes fun of kids when they break their leg or arm, so I don't think this is any different -just an idea!
          Cara, Mom to Nathan
          Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
          Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
          VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
          Dr. Hresko
          40 Degrees before VBS
          11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

My son has worn both a Boston brace (6th grade) and a SpineCor brace (7th grade). No one ever teased him. He said his classmates were curious, and one even tried on the Boston when he was at our house. Another boy called it his "bully-proof vest!" He wore it at fiddle camp and also at summer camp, and never complained of being teased. If you are matter-of-fact about it, I think they will be, too.

Comment

Do you know about the Spinekids website?

No, I am not really sure of what the other brces look like or how they are diffrent. But I am open to learn!
              Hi, I am Eliza. I wear a boston brace. I have wore it for 2 months almost 3. I have 2 curves in my spine. One is 25*T, the other one is 20*S. My boston brace has kept them about the same degree since I have been wearing it. My hobbies include: volleyball, my dog (his name is Amos), swimming (for fun).

Comment

Eliza:

This is the link to the Spinekids website.

http://www.spinekids.com/messages.shtml

There are lots of messages on her about wearing a brace and lots of other stuff too. My daughter really likes this website.

This is the link to the Spinecor website:

http://www.spinecorporation.com/English/index.htm

Ruth
                Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Ruth,

Thanks for the website info. It looks cool! I might register later.

Comment

Ruth,

I am now a member of the spinekids! Thanks for telling me about it. It seems...more for kids. I havent done much on it yet, but hopefully I will have more time tomorrow. My name is the same as on this site!

Comment

You're welcome Eliza....enjoy.

Ruth

Comment

To Tell Or Not To Tell

Hi My Daughter Jodie Is 6 And She Has Been Wearing Her Boston Brace For 3 Months, Her Curve Is 32 Degrees To The Right. When She First Went To School In Her Brace She Decided To Do A Show And Tell With All The Class And She Showed Her Brace And They Asked Questions, The Children Are No Longer Curious Just Over Protective In Case She Falls Over And Some Days They Fuss Around Her A Lot Which Is Nice But Jodie Sometimes Finds This Overwhelming. I Understand For You To Do This Could Be Difficult Because Of Your Age, But How About Making Some Short Notes For The Girls In Your P.e Lesson So They Know Why You Wear A Brace And Also Tell Them Not Feel Embarrassed About Asking Questions About It Because It Wont Offend You. If This Would Be Too Much For You Maybe Your Parents Could Ask The Teachers If You Could Have A Private Place To Change.
                        Good Luck
                        Gill

Comment

I know a lot of people have been asking me about a private place to change, but in my school there is only one very small room to change in. I wish there was a private place to change.

I guess when they find out they find out. When I change they will notice, but now I dont care that much. I am sure that it will all blow over in a couple of days. I am positive once they know why I wear it they wont care.

I will tell you all what happens in the end.

Thanks for the support!

Comment

nobody should make fun of having a brace. i mean we didnt ask for scolisosis!! If anyone did ever make a nasty comment you shoudlnt ever let this affect you. They are obviously not a real friend and you will find out who your real friends are!! and anywho most the people you know now you wont no in ten years time!! Maybe theres somewhere you could get changed seperatly. Or if you just come out with it to everyone then everyone will get used to it. Hpe this helps. Keep strong! xxx
                            XxX..SaRaH..XxX

Comment

There is no place to change separetly. I already asked. The only problem is, who will tighten my brace? I cant do it as tight as my mom can (since it is behind my back). She wont be at school. My friends tried at my house none of them are strong enough.

Need suggestions. What do you do?

Comment

Working...
                              X