abdominal exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abdominal exercises

In 1991 (11 years old) I had a backwards S curve- 37 on top, 105 on the bottom- and they did a fusion T3-L4 with native graft and corrected everything to 27 on top and 35 on the bottom. Obviously I have very limited or non-existent mobility in the waist- I cannot twist and cannot bend. I am in DESPERATE need of some ab exercises that I can do. No crunches, no sit-ups, no twisting maneuvers. Has anyone had any success with ab exercises post-fusion? I have done different plank maneuvers but I am looking for another way to activate my abdominal muscles. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Try this for ab work if it proves comfortable and such for you. Laying on your back with your hips and knees at 90 degree angles (as if you were sitting in a chair, but on your back... 'Dead Bug Position'). The raise your arms over your head so that they are stretched out above you on the floor, or in that direction. You can hold some weight in between your hands (such as a gallon water container, filled to your liking/ability). Keep the legs raised in the "seated" position and bent while you raise the arms up directly in front of your face with the arms straight... then lower back down above the head and repeat. This will work the abdominals without actually having to curl up. You can also vary it in a number of ways to increase the challenge and type of engagement. Try reaching one arm at a time from the same overhead starting position towards the opposite knee. While you're reaching for that opposite knee the other leg is straightening out but not coming into contact with the floor. Bring the leg back to its starting position while you extend the other one... alternate the arm reach to the knee coming back up.

Hope that was not too confusing to visualize. Studies have shown this type of abdominal bracing/engagement exercise to be more effective than traditional crunches/sit-ups.

Good luck, and feel free to run that by a PT or Physician if you feel necessary.

structural

Comment

Originally posted by structural75
      ... You can hold some weight in between your hands (such as a gallon water container, filled to your liking/ability).
      One teensy little question. Wouldn't holding a gallon of water above one's head whilst lying on the floor prove to be a little risky for many ????

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Container should have a lid obviously.

Comment

Wouldn't you find it rather precarious to hold that kind of weight above one's head???

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Not at all. That's why I said "fill to your liking/ability". One gallon of water weighs 8 pounds,... One could only fill a small amount to equal one pound if they like... or something in between depending on their strength... Start small and work up. The point in holding the weight is to increase the leverage acting on the abdominals, not to strengthen the arms per say. With the arms acting as such long levers, it doesn't take much weight at all to exponentially increase the force acting on the abdominals. I don't find it precarious at all.

Comment

I'm sure if you add the velocity to the impact of dropping an eight pound weight on one's face, especially a large container such as a gallon of milk, it would be a very real issue (pronounce "is" "you" ) You know I'm just having fun with you, don't take this seriously.
              Last edited by Celia; 12-05-2007, 01:07 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                I'm sure if you add the velocity to the impact of dropping an eight pound weight on one's face, especially a large container such as a gallon of milk, it would be a very real issue (pronounce "is" "you" ) You know I'm just having fun with you, don't take this seriously.
                I'd say that last post was passive-aggressive, Celia, but you *know* it'd all be in fun, eh?
                Last edited by txmarinemom; 12-05-2007, 09:16 PM.
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

structural- thanks for the suggestion! I will give that a shot!

Comment

Using one of those big exercise balls. Lie over it on your stomach with your hands on the floor, reaching out a little. Use your abs to lift your hips, which will then make the ball roll down your legs toward your toes. Then back to starting position and repeat. Sort of a "pike up". Let me know if I didn't explain this well...

Comment

Originally posted by NancyB View Post
                      Using one of those big exercise balls. Lie over it on your stomach with your hands on the floor, reaching out a little. Use your abs to lift your hips, which will then make the ball roll down your legs toward your toes. Then back to starting position and repeat. Sort of a "pike up". Let me know if I didn't explain this well...
                      Also on the exercise ball, raise an alternating arm and leg and the same time. Repeat back and forth. It's important to have an exercise ball that's the right height for you though. If it's too tall, it doesn't work because you can't reach the ground with your arms properly.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Are you able to do leg lifts. On the back you can do scissors, and together lifts, then roll each side and lift the upper leg.
                        35 years old. Boston braced from age 11-16. S curve 37* thoracic, 29* lumbar. Right arm, right sided thorax pain.

Comment

Working...
                        X