Chris' pre-op at CHOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris' pre-op at CHOP

Chris' pre-op appt. was yesterday and it was very long and emotionally exhausting. It was about 5 hours long and just being at the hospital and meeting with the surgeon and the anesthesiology team made everything seem so much more real. Initially, when we met with Dr. Flynn in September and decided on surgery, he proposed an anterior approach which I was really struggling with. The thought of a chest tube, deflating a lung and the possibility of having to remove a rib made me really uncomfortable. After Chris did all of the bending xrays and we met with Dr. Flynn, he said that he can't do anterior now because his thoracic curve is too rigid and he would only be able to correct his lumbar curve which would cause him to shift further left. His thoracic curve is still 46, but his lumbar curve increased 1 degree to 55. He will be fused from T4 to L4 and he expects to get his curves in the 19 or 20 degree range. It was a huge relief to hear him say that he changed his mind and that he will be doing it posterior instead. Dr. Flynn spent a lot of time talking to us and answering all of our questions. He told me that he would sit with us for hours if we needed him to. I felt so comfortable with him and I feel like he is the right surgeon for us. Talking with him did put our minds at ease, but I am still very worried about the surgery. I guess I wouldn't be a Mom if I didn't worry, right?
    Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
    Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
    Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Oh, Lori, of course you are worried - that's your baby! But it sounds like he is in WONDERFUL hands. I have heard excellent things about Dr. Flynn (sounds like he has a great bedside manner too!) and I know of CHOP's reputation as well.

Remember too that somethings things are worse than they sound. I know Chris is not having it done with the anterior approach now, but David had a chest tube and one lung deflated for his vertebral stapling surgery and while it wasn't pleasant, he never really knew about the chest tube because he was pretty medicated the first day and thankfully he had absolutely no lung issues or problems from the deflation.

My point is, as moms all that stuff makes us very worried but you'll get through it and soon you will be on the other side. Before you know it, he'll be well on his way to recovery.

Hang in there - we're all here for you!
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Chris is in excellent hands with Dr. Flynn at CHOP. You will be "on the other side" before you know it. Everything is going to be great.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Sending big hugs to you, mom. The pre-surgery anticipation and anxiety are AWFUL. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to go into a huge surgery like this blindly - we wouldn't worry so much! But, we know too much to NOT worry. You'll do great. Braydon had anterior (and posterior) fusion surgery when he was 11 months old. I was a naive parent at that time and didn't know to worry about deflated lungs, chest tubes, etc. When he had his VEPTR at age 6, he again had to have a thoracotomy, deflated lung, chest tubes (two), etc. I was worried sick! But, like the others said, he'll be fine (especially now they are NOT going to do anterior surgery) and you will be fine too. Anterior surgery has its time and place, and fortunately for Chris, it isn't his time or place. We'll be thinking of you both and will be with you in spirit in the waiting room... I promise.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Lori:

I will be thinking about you and your son and praying for a successful surgery.

Ruth
          Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

I'm glad you are a little more relaxed about the surgery. The week before can be the most stressful time & I know that any reassuring information can only help. I've heard only great things about your doctor & hospital & I'm sure your son will have a really good surgical outcome. Try to take deep breaths this week & before you know it, it will be over & he will be on the road to recovery.
            Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
            Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
            Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Lori

I can only echo what everyone else has said. Soon you'll be on the other side of surgery and Chris will be on his way to recovery. Sheena's only 2.5 weeks out and already doing so well. Just remember to take it day by day. So glad to hear he's only having a posterior fusion. How is Chris doing?

Comment

Hi Lori,

I'm right there with you (in spirit ) I'm glad that you feel more comfortable with the procedure Dr. Flynn decided on. Doesn't make the waiting any easier though...sounds like you have a really good and caring dr., Chris will be in good hands. There is another lady here in San Diego who's daughter is having surgery on the 12th also, I may go down with her as she doesn't have anyone that can be there. I will be thinking of, and praying for you both on that day. You will know what we all mean when we talk about being "on the other side" of this surgery, it is a very different and much better feeling!

Best wishes,
                Renee

Comment

Ladies,
                  Thanks for all of your kind words and well wishes. I know that this has been said hundreds of times before, but it bears repeating. I HONESTLY could NOT have done this without all of you. Your kindness and words of encouragement and support are truly priceless. I came to this board just 3 short months ago and what I found was an amazing group of people who welcomed me and showed me how many wonderful people are still out there. Too often we hear about all of the bad in the world and not enough of the good. All of you represent what is good in this world. Thank you all for being who you are and for continuing to come to this forum long after your children are done with their surgeries and procedures to consistently be there for all of us "newbies".

Big hugs to all of you,
                  Lori

Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.

Comment

I understand what you are saying about the preop, makes everything alot more real. I must say though, that when the surgery day came, all of us were a lot more calm than I thought we would be, and you will be on the "other side" soon and it will feel great. We are 18 days post op and everything is great. My wife and I both decided that we could go this christmas without any material gifts, we got our gift already.

Also, as an FYI, our surgeon told us he would go for about a 50% correction on my daughters curves (lumbar of 60 degrees and thoracic of 74). Well, we did our first post op last tuesday. Her lumbar is now 1 degree and thoracic is about 21 degrees. I was amazed.

We will pray for your son and your family

Comment

Wow what a great surgical correction. Did your daughter also gain some height?

Ruth
                      Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Thank you for your prayers. Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery for your daughter. Her correction sounds amazing!! I'm sure she must be thrilled with her "new" back!!

Take care,
                        Lori

Comment

Yes, she is now about 2 inches taller

Comment

Working...
                          X