Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help With My Pain!

Hi,
    I'm having very bad pain in my left shoulder when I sit down for a little while. I'm a pianist and when I play it really triggers the pain. I'm not sure if this is caused by the scoliosis (I had it before my spinal fusion surgery) and then it worsened because of my surgery, or maybe it's not even related to my back. Anyway, I'm playing background music for a party tomorrow night and I'm concerned about how my pain will be. Does anyone else have a burning pain in your shoulder? Do you have any suggestions for pain management? Do you know of any really great pain killers (besides morphine ). Sorry for such a long post!
    17 years old
    Surgery May 22nd 2007
    John 3:16

Originally posted by dani
    Hi,
    I'm having very bad pain in my left shoulder when I sit down for a little while. I'm a pianist and when I play it really triggers the pain. I'm not sure if this is caused by the scoliosis (I had it before my spinal fusion surgery) and then it worsened because of my surgery, or maybe it's not even related to my back. Anyway, I'm playing background music for a party tomorrow night and I'm concerned about how my pain will be. Does anyone else have a burning pain in your shoulder? Do you have any suggestions for pain management? Do you know of any really great pain killers (besides morphine ). Sorry for such a long post!
    Your pain in the left shoulder could come from your neck are C4 -C5. If you sit on a hard chair at the edge, in front of a mirrow you can see if your shoulders are level . If not, drop the one that is elevated and keep it that way ; then bring your chin down without moving your head , hold it for the count of three and repeat a couple of times. Breath in , breath out slow. Get well.

Comment

Thank you so much!!!!
      17 years old
      Surgery May 22nd 2007
      John 3:16

Comment

Ironic

That's ironic that you posted piano and pain. I've had terrible pain in my right shoulder and my right hand and arm have weakened TREMENDOUSLY...so I decided to get back to my piano playing (I played for 8 years through the university but have not played for umpteen years). WOW! My first few session my hands were just throbbing. I'm up to 45 minutes a day now- hoping to regain some strength in my right hand. Don't give up - sounds like great advice BET all gave.

Always Smilin'

Always Smilin'
        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
        pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
        pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
        right thoracic 57
        lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
        revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
        unsure of degrees at this point