Protruding Appliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protruding Appliance

Hi, I had surgery back in May and I have a "protruding appliance". My doctor said that he could go back in and take it out if it bothered me. It's not too bothersome right now, but I don't know how it will be when I get older. Has anyone had this before and do you have any opinions on whether I should have another operation to get it taken out? Thanks
    17 years old
    Surgery May 22nd 2007
    John 3:16

Hi Dani,

I think I might be able to relate to your situation. My surgery was in July, and now that the swelling has reduced significantly, I am able to see where most of my hardware is in my back. This is more noticable if I am stretching, however, there are a few areas where I am sensitive because it seems like a screw, or something else is protruding. It is a bit bothersome being able to feel all the hardware with my hand. I didn't even know there was the option to remove certain areas of the hardware. I wish I could offer some helpful information. Is your experience similar to mine?
    Surgery completed July, 2007
    Fused from T4-T12
    23years old

Comment

Hi Christine,
      Yes, I can feel lots of little bumps in my back. It's kinda weird! I do have one area where a screw or bolt (whatever they call them ) sticks out alot all the time. My doctor seemed very nonchalant about taking it out. We'll see! Hope you're recovering well!
      17 years old
      Surgery May 22nd 2007

Comment

Dani and Christine,

Are both of you very thin? My 16 y.o. daughter is almost 3 years post-op and has an area where you can see and feel a hook. It has been this way since surgery. Her doctor always asks her if it bothers her and she says only if you touch it, then it is a little sore. Her surgeon said he could remove it if it becomes a problem but it never has.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Snoopy,

My surgeon did say that if I gained some weight, it probably wouldn't be as bothersome. I have been working quite hard at this. I think it has been difficult because the nutrients I am consuming are most likely helping my back heal. I sometimes wonder if weight gain will truly make a difference; as challenging as it might be, I am willing to try!

I don't think I could ever go through a surgery like this again. I will admit that the first month or so is a blur, but I can still remember enough to know that it was probably one of the hardest things I have ever been through.

If your daughter were to have part of the hardware removed, would the rod be cut in half? How would the surgeon go about doing this? Did he say the recovery would be as difficult as the initial one?
          Last edited by Christine84; 11-25-2007, 12:11 PM. Reason: Forgot something
          Fused from T4-T12
          23years old

Comment

Hi Snoopy and Christine,
            I'm slim but not considered under weight at all. If I gain weight it goes to my hips It seems to me that the surgery would not be nearly as bad as the first one (I agree with you Christine, it was one of the worst things I've been through.) I think my surgeon implied that he would just take out that one protruding piece of hardware. I'll try to get more info from him when I go back, but I'm not scheduled for another appt. until January.
            17 years old
            Surgery May 22nd 2007

Comment

Dani,

I know that you said it doesn't bother you a whole lot right now. Did your surgeon say that it could become bothersome in the future? I am interested to hear what he has to say when you see him in January. How is your overall recovery coming along? Hang in there, I know this can be tough.
              Fused from T4-T12
              23years old

Comment

Christine and Dani,

In Jamie's case, I'm sure the surgery would be much easier than her original surgery. We've never discussed it at length but her surgeon says it is a hook at the top of her rod and I assume if she ever has a problem with it, he'd simply remove the hook.

I laugh at Jamie sometimes. She comes home from school and talks about the girls complaining that they wish they could lose weight and she tells them she wishes she could gain weight!!! She weighs about 96# and eats whatever she wants.

Hang in there.

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Snoopy,

Thanks for the response. Hopefully Jamie will continue to feel ok, and not have to have the hook removed. Isn't it funny how women are never happy with their weight? We are either complaining about being too heavy, or wanting to weigh more!!! I guess balance is key.
                  Fused from T4-T12
                  23years old

Comment

Thanks Christine and Snoopy. I'll let you know what I find out in January!
                    17 years old
                    Surgery May 22nd 2007

Comment

Working...
                    X