We're home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheena

I am glad Sheena is doing better. I hope the pain gets better with time. It tooks about a week and a half. The only medication given outside the hosptal was Hydrocodone/Lortab by the doctor other than over the counter. The first two weeks were tough but then it got better. Hang in there!
    Shirley
    Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Sheena decided she wanted to get off the strong pain meds and has been taking only tylenol and valium the past few days. In retrospect, it may have been too early but her mind is clear enough now that she's reading again, before it was too hard to focus. So if that will help keep her mind off her pain and discomort, then I guess it will work out anyways. I found massaging some of her tight muscles has helped to get the knots out too.

The tutor never showed, I must have told her I would call. It was just as well, she wasn't up to any work then anyways. Tomorrow we'll try for sure. Were your kids actually able to write out their assignments this early? I was thinking I could write if she wants to dictate.

Comment

Hi Sherie,

Joe started to do his homework at the start of 3rd week post-op, but he was off the Lortab by then. He did better than I thought he would, he did all the work on his own, never wanted the tutor (who was his biology teacher). He even did took his biology final at home (missed b/c of pre-op appts.) and did fairly well. Getting back on track with school and catching up on work may even temporarily take Sheena's mind off of her back/recovery....has she been drawing much lately?

Renee

Comment

Hi Renee

She's tried drawing a few times but it's still a little hard for her. I think you're right about the work, anything to keep their minds occupied. She's doing well right at this minute and is dying for me to go get the next book in the series that she's reading. Start of her 3rd week post op will be Thurs, I hope Sheena's doing much better by then.

Comment

Amanda was off Lortab by the time school started three weeks post op-but it seeems most wait until 4-5 weeks but of course it is different for everyone. Amanda's incision wasn't as low as Sheenas. Since Amanda didn't miss any school we didn't have to worry about homework or concentrating. She did do better once off heavy meds. I am glad Sheena's doing ok, and remember that it will get better, but she is on her 3rd week, so it gets better from here. I look foward to seeing the after x-ray. I am so glad that things are ok.
            Shirley
            Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Stomach cramps

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. Sheena has started having bad stomach cramping after eating since 2 days ago. Her appetite has picked up and she's eating more frequently. She had diarrhea yesterday so I quit giving her the laxative/stool softener's. She's only taking tylenol, she's completely off the pain meds and valium.

Comment

Hi sherie,

If she's completely off the meds then I would stop the stool softeners also, especially if she is still eating small amounts. She should be ok with that from here on out.

Renee

Comment

Working...
                X