Doctor appt. today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor appt. today

Wish me luck. I really need it. Today I found out what was decided between my doc and Dr. Boachie. Krysi

Krysi--I'll be praying for you. I know what an anxious time that can be! Let us know the outcome when you get a chance. It should be good to finally know, and not be wondering.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Good luck, hope everything goes ok. Keep us posted.

Renee

Comment

Well here goes.... My doc met with Dr. Boachie and some other docs from St. Louis last weekend in Chicago at the SRS meeting about my failed revision and tilted posture. The consensus is that I will have to under go a 15 to 16 hour anterior/posterior surgery. They will cut the lumber vertabrae into pieces to straighten my spine and then fuse me to my sacrum.

Dr. Boachie agreed to come to Pittsburgh to assist my doc but the hospital here (Pitt) will not let Dr. B operate since he does not hold a Pa. liscense. So my doctor is going to go to NYC with us for the surgery when the time comes. Meanwhile, he is making arrangements for me to meet with Dr. B to discuss the operative plans.

No date is set yet and I have many plans myself to make as in animal care, my husbands work, childcare, etc.... Needless to say, I am scared sensless. The thought of being on a vent scares the heck out of me. Have any of you been in this situation and experienced any of this? Thanks, Krysi

Comment

Krysi:
          I also had my surgery on May 14 for fusion to the sacrum because of a failed fusion from my 2005 surgery. I am now back in the same position I was in then, bending forward and unable to stand up straight. I had my 6-month checkup a week ago and my doctor could see that I am getting worse, not better. I had a myelogram and catscan the other day and will see my doctor again on December 11. The thought of possibly another surgery has me depressed, angry, scared, wondering when this whole saga is going to end. I'm so exhausted with re-arranging my entire life to accommodate my failing back. I'm having a hard time with this right now so unfortunately I can't offer you any advice.

I know how hard it is going to be for you to go through that surgery, but at least you can feel assured of Dr. Boachie's involvement. I wish you all the best.
          FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
          10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
          8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
          5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
          2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
          3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

trulyaries,
            I just read your post and I had to laugh. It sure sucks to be us!!!!! Imagine being in the same boat at the same time.

On Tuesday, my mom went with me to take my daughter for her two year old check up. Well a mother and daughter came in together with the mom being around my age (late 40's) the daughter around 16. Both very beautiful but the mom had a cane, the kind that the blind use. She was so sightless that she asked to feel my daughters face. That made me realize that I will get better, she won't.

Comment

Krysi -
              Thanks - I had a laugh too - you're right - it sucks to be us! In fact, one of my sisters emailed me the other day with the same "it sure sucks to be you" comment. But when family members say why did this have to happen to you, I say why not me? Better me - with no husband and children to take care of - than someone with those responsibilities like you. I'm just worried I will p*** through all my retirement money before I can work again. Thanks for putting this into perspective - we CAN get better, and will, I hope - preferably SOONER than later.
              FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
              10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
              8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
              5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
              2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
              3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Working...
              X