Thread: Inversion Tables

Inversion Tables

Has anyone here ever tried an inversion table? It is a gadget that is sort of like a cot that has a pivot point in the center. It allows you to hang from your ankles (which are tethered) UPSIDE DOWN. You are supposed to use this thing for 2 minutes at a time twice a day. This according to the sales guy at Relax the Back (a retail store for back therapy type products). The theory is that your spine decompresses while inverted. On one hand, I am tempted to buy one, as I kinda buy the decompression thing. On the other hand, I'm kinda scared that some kind of irreparable damage may be done due to the mis-alignment of my back due to the scoliosis. They cost in the $4-500 neighborhood. ANy thoughts?

Bill,

Laying upside down will not damage your scoliotic spine. But whether it will alleviate any pain you may be experiencing due to your scoliosis is highly questionable. Scoliosis is not a problem with compression. It might feel good to "fight gravity" for a few minutes, but this benefit won't last. It certainly won't straighten your spine, if that's your goal.

Frankly, I would save the few hundred dollars.

Dave

Bill - I have an inversion table here at my home. It's actually borrowed - the guy who owns it can't use it anymore. I've tried it several times and really rec'd no relief. I must admit I've yet to go the full 180 upside down position. (maybe today?) I get more relief by laying down and grabbing a board behind me and just stretching eveything from my behind and up. Feels like a bit of traction. I do this almost everynite to get things stretched enough to try to sleep. If I get brave up the inv table I'll let you know. Linda