Sheena's surgery Thursday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheena's surgery Thursday

It's finally time, after 7 loooong months. We're flying to St. Louis tomorrow. We're very lucky, my stepdaughter is a RN and will be staying with us for the first 3 days, I know she will be a tremendous help. We're all doing great, I'm not extremely nervous right now, I've been too busy to think about it. Sheena's doing very well too.

Thanks to everyone here, this forum has been a lifeline for me. I'll post when we get home.

Hi Sherie,

Good luck to you and Sheena. I will pray for a successful surgery and a wonderful and speedy recovery!!

Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Last edited by stephanieC; 11-13-2007, 08:01 PM.
    Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
    10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
    07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
    12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
    2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
    3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

Sherie:
      I will be thinking of you and praying for a successful surgery. Wishing you all the best.
      Ruth
      Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Good luck! Steer clear of those crazy cabbies.

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

We'll be praying for you. Hugs!
          Cheryl
          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Hi Sherie,

I've already e-mailed you, but am sending you good wishes here also. Will be thinking of you and Sheena on the 15th and praying for a successful surgery and recovery. Let us know how everything goes as soon as you're able.

Renee

Comment

Sherie,

I have been thinking about you and Sheena all week. I felt exactly as you did. Unbelievably calm the day before surgery. You just want this over with all ready. You almost can't wait for it because it has been hanging over your head for so long. During the surgery, I had a few anxious moments, but I kept thinking about every child on here and on SpineKids who had a successful surgery and that is what got me through those long hours.

You have so many people on here who will be thinking about you and praying for Sheena. We can't wait until you are on the other side of it. Please keep us posted when you are able to.
              Melissa
              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Best of luck to Sheena and to you. You have all of us behind you tomorrow.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Thinking of Sheena and mom and family. May the surgery be successful and the recovery uneventful.
                  Carmell
                  mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Best wishes to you both. Hope that everything goes well for Sheena. I was calm right before the surgery, then, the morning of surgery my daughter shed a few tears and that was all it took for me. She did so well up until that morning, they finally gave her something to relax her (I tried, but they wouldn't give me anything ). It is such a relief when they are finally out of surgery, even though there will be a few tough days to come. Good luck!!!

Comment

You and Sheena will be in our prayers tonight and tomorrow!

Lisa and Mackenzie
                      Lisa
                      Mom to Mackenzie
                      diagnosed March 2007 at 28 degree thoracic, 40 degree lumbar
                      August 2007 - 37 degree thoracic, 37 degree lumbar
                      March 2008 - 39 degree thoracic, 37 degree lumbar

Comment

Hey I hope this isn't too late but I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of Sheena!! You will have to let me know all about Dr. Lenke and his staff and your experience once everything calms down a bit and you are settled and home. Good luck!
                        aBbiE
                        22 yr old F,KU college student
                        Kyphoscoliosis...
                        Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
                        Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
                        I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
                        Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                        all smiles!

Comment

Hi Sherie,

You are both in my thoughts and I am praying for a successful surgery and speedy recovery for Sheena. I can't wait to see pictures of her "new" straight back!!

God bless
                          Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
                          Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
                          Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

By now Sheena's surgery is over & I can only imagine that it went really well. I am sending positive thoughts & energy to her (& you) for a rapid recovery. I will look for your post describing how it all went.
                            Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                            Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                            Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
                            X