No announcement yet.

Nicole's 2-month appt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melissa, I was reading a post on the yahoo vertebral stapling board by a father whose daughter had VBS but then went on to require fusion surgery. (this was several years ago). He said she was a ballet dancer and she went back to dancing and to see her on stage you would never know she had surgery. Given the flexibility that is required for ballet, I found that promising (although I don't know the details of how long the fusion was, etc, but she did have a double curve)

Jill
    daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
    -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
    -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
    -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Melissa,

It's great to hear that Nicole is doing well. I'm sure she'll loosen up over time as she relaxes into her new shape & more fully recovers from the surgery. I'm glad she has excellent posture, as you indicated in another post.

Alexander still has uneven shoulders & tends to tilt to the left - his lower shoulder side. It worries me quite a bit & I frequently find myself telling him how to stand up straighter. But he feels great, reportedly & otherwise seems great physically. He can walk fast for miles, he swam 24 laps yesterday. The surgeon recommended swimming so we've been going 4-5 times a week for the last month or so. It does seem to help his strength & posture but the posture is still not quite normal at all.

It's been harder for me to get on this forum lately because I've been so busy with the kids. I'm getting up earlier for the swimming so I can't stay up so late as I'd been doing - reading & writing on this forum. It's really good to be back on again "catching up" with how everyone's doing.

Take care,
        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Laurie,

It sounds like your son is doing great. Nicole is not allowed to do anything except walk right now. Our next appt will be at 6-months post-op and then we should have some new things added to that. I keep telling Nicole to bend a little when she is reading or writing or eating. But she still keeps herself straight because she is so fearful of doing something to harm herself. Even the surgeon said she can start doing a little bending. I am not talking about bending down to touch her toes, but bending to look down at something for example.

When do they stop having to do the log rolling?
          Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Hi Melissa,

I've read several of your posts about Nicole's surgery and recovery. I laughed when I read that you try to encourage her to bend a little, even just to read; I find myself moving stiffly also, and it is deliberate rather than necessary because I worry about doing something that would make me have to go through all of this again!

It is a very vulnerable feeling, though, to go through this huge surgery, and then try to get back to a normal life. You kind of have to learn to trust your body again.

As for the logrolling, my physical therapist told me that in all actuality, everyone should get out of bed that way; she said even after I fully recover, I should continue to logroll to prevent unnecessary twisting of my spine.
            31 year old female
            55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
            T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
            Xray, 3 mos. post-op
            Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

logrolling...

I'm an adult, but I just checked with my scoli nurse this morning about whether I still need to logroll... and she said YES! I am over 6 months post-op. I should have asked if that was for life or not! I have a feeling it's at least for a very long time.

Be patient with Nicole about leaning a little forward. And maybe if you call it leaning instead of bending, she might try it a little. I know I can't do it very well, but maybe that has to do with how long the fusion is. Mine is from T2-L4. It takes getting used to being so straight. I was just released at 6 months to do slight bending, from the hips only.

Best wishes for Nicole's quick recovery and a wonderful time over the holidays for you all!
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks to both of you. Good advice. Happy Thanksgiving! Continue with your wonderful recoveries.
                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                X