I have a screw loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a screw loose

Several in fact. Last saturday I was driving home from the grocery store when a big truck rammed into my little car. My seat brok backwards thankfully, but it strained the muscles in my back. The pain was so bad at the accident site that I could not move. They took me to the hospital where of course they did X-rays. (everyone wants to see my rods. Jeesh)

Looking at the x-rays they said it was just muscle strain, but that the X-rays showed the screws at the bottom of my fusion (C3 to L3) were loose. Since it was not related to the accident I cannot really afford to have it looked at. But I do get a follow up with an orthopedist for the accident which I will ask about the screws.

I am so afraid she is going to say surgery again because I have no insurance and no way to pay for it. I have been dealing with back pain, left leg pain, and numbness for a year now and I think that might be the reason why. What has everyone else's experience been with something like this? What do you think she might say?

Edited for spelling.
    Last edited by KaliChondra; 11-07-2007, 07:36 AM.

So Sorry!

Kali-- I was so sorry to hear about your accident--but especially about your screws being loose. I don't have any experience with problems like this, so can't give advice. How long ago was your surgery? I will be praying for you!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

accident

I would get competent legal advice . If your screws were not loose before the surgery based on your last x-ray you might have a case proving that accident did it. Then you can get financial help.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker
        I would get competent legal advice . If your screws were not loose before the surgery based on your last x-ray you might have a case proving that accident did it. Then you can get financial help.
        Actually my boss was saying the same thing. I don't have any close pre-accident x-rays I don't think but I am going to talk to the orthopedist I follow up with about the possiblity that this is related to the accident. I will have to see what the orthopedist says.

Thank you Karen and Susie

Comment

Kali,
          I had a screw come loose about a year after my first surgery. It caused one of my rods to shove out. I had my harware removed and replaced again. The Dr. did not say why this happened it was just something that happens, but not very often.
          He took all the hardware out thinking I was fused but I wasn't. So I had to have it put back in.
          I would surely check into seeing if their is away you could get the insurance to pay for this if you have to have surgery. I am praying you don't because once is enough.
          I had surgery three times and I would not wish this on anyone not even my worst enemy.
          little crooked

Comment

A good orthopedist should be able to detect signs of loose screws on a full spine x-ray. If they were there pre-accident there will be signs of it even though the x-rays were not "close up". I found out that I had a couple loose screws during a visit with a 2nd opinion doctor based on a set of full spine scoli x-rays. He then sent me for some closer views to see the full extent.
            Like another member was saying, they can't really prove that the accident did/did not cause the loose screws. Also, even if the screws were loose before the accident, this person still could have worsened the condition b/c of the accident therefore necessitating the need for immediate treatment (or sooner than if you would not have been in an accident). You NEED to get a good lawyer on your side so that you can get taken care of physically. Some car insurance plans have a medical benefit (mine will pay up to $5,000) so that you can get the medical attention you need. Ortho visits, x-rays, physical therapy, hospital bills, etc should all be covered under this if you have it in your policy. Also, the person who hit you should have provided their insurance information and your insurance company can go to them for payment as well.
            PM me if you have any questions, this same thing just happened to me 2 weeks ago (although my screws were definatly loose before the accident, waiting on surgery).

Comment

Same problem here. If the screw or screws have a white halow around it in the xray, they are loose.
              March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
              15 1/2 Hours
              Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
              X