Strange Experiment You Can Try?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Experiment You Can Try?

Ok here is a wierd test for you. I am wondering if anyone else has this problem, or if it is common among people with scoliosis (and especially those with pain from scoliosis.) I am reluctant to say anything at the risk of sounding like a freak but here goes. Hahah! I notice I am always moving around when standing because I am uncomfortable from pain. I timed myself on this........If I stand perfectly still and do not move a muscle , I will feel very queasy and feel like I am going to pass out after approx five minutes. In fact I am sure if I did not lay down right away I would. Scary I know. Any thoughts? Anyone brave enough to try and let me know your results? Bish

What medications are you taking??? It could be a side effect.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I take not more than 2 T3's in a day about every second day and that's it. I have tried a bunch of other crazy stuff but it didn't do anything for me. Over the last few years I get very strong concentrated pain in the middle of my spine almost every second day like clockwork. The other days I have radiating muscle pain and burning on both sides of my spine. I wonder if it is a nerve being pinched or something that causes the spine pain. I think the pain is what causes me to want to pass out. I think! Bish. I know, it sucks!

Comment

Yes!

My main source of pain is from my tilted pelvis, which causes pain in my sacrum/sacro-iliac joints. And yes, I cannot bear to sit or stand still because of the pain, and find that moving around seems to help. So I don't stand still EVER, I just wiggle about and move from side to side. Even when I sit, I tend to wiggle and squirm to change my position.

I'm sure it must look like I'm of a very nervous disposition or something

Comment

Originally posted by Bish
          ... If I stand perfectly still and do not move a muscle , I will feel very queasy and feel like I am going to pass out after approx five minutes.
          Bish, locking your knees while standing can easily cause this (that's why you see people passing out during weddings - LOL!)

If you're not locking your knees, I'll have to contribute "no ... that's not normal". As Karen suggested, it could be med related, or even inner ear.

Ya probably wanna have that checked out ...

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Bish,
            I've always had a tendency to 'bounce' my foot when I sit for any length of time. In the past, I think is was probably because I'm a little ADD, hyper, antsy or something. I've never been a 'sitter'. However, in the last month or two, I've noticed the movement has been different so I started paying attention to it. I think for me the movement has become a way of distracting my attention away from the back pain and turning that energy into something constructive, if you consider bouncing your foot constructive. I've also noticed that I rock very slightly back and forth if I stand for too long (Yea, I know, kinda Rainman isn't it?) and both movements are much more pronounced at the end of the day when the pain is at it's worst.
            I hope my odd behaviors help you feel a little better. If nothing else maybe I've given you a little chuckle. I agree with the school of thought that you might want to check with your doc.
            Good luck!
            Becky, 46 years old
            Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
            Ignored until 448/07
            Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
            Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
            Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
            Fused T-10 to L-5
            14 titanium pedicle screws
            Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
            Email

Comment

Becky,
              I do the exact same things as you (bouncing legs and rocking back and forth). Then, if it is REAL bad and I am out in public I will start to "bite" my nails, but I am really just running my teeth along the end of the nails without damaging them. I also get really quiet and reserved when I am in pain (not good dinner company).
              I remember one night our family went out to dinner for my mom's birthday, about a month before my revision. I was in HORRIBLE pain and just wanted to be back in bed (I had been in a car accident a couple weeks before and had whiplash to boot). There was a man and his wife sitting at a table diagonal from us, and apparently he kept staring at me the whole time we were there (I tried not to pay attention to him, my step sister did it for me). My step sister heard him say, "thats one sour girl". I wish he could have been in my body for a few minutes, he would change his mind!

Comment

CurvySAT05, I can't imagine trying to deal with pain from a whiplash along with the scoli pain. You must have been in agony. I feel very fortunate that other than the scoli problems, I'm in really good health. If I had to deal with other issues I think I'd just stay in bed all the time.

I had a similar situation not long ago. My in-laws, my mom and my family had gone out to eat for my birthday and it was the same way. Several people kept asking why I wasn't eating and why I was so quiet. DUH! And it's so hard to explain to anyone else how completely consuming and exhausting it is to try and present anything close to a normal attitude when you hurt that bad. I was reading David Wolpert's book last night and my 17 year old daughter sat down next to me and asked what I was reading. I showed her the book and after she had read a little she started asking questions. I was very frank and honest about everything from what it feels like to have scoliosis to what surgery and recovery will be like. It was the first time she seems to have grasped the severity of the situation. I'd like to think that by educated my family, they will 'get it' and maybe that will start the ball rolling and others will understand as well.
                It's so comforting to know that I can come to this forum and find understanding and validation that I'm not just a wimp.
                By the way, CurvySAT05, it takes an amazingly strong person to walk in our shoes. I'll bet the guy at the restaurant wouldn't last a few minutes! Not many people could do it, and I believe God knows who the strong ones are.
                Becky, 46 years old
                Ignored until 448/07
                Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                Fused T-10 to L-5
                Email

Comment

I haven't been able to stand still since before I turned 40, now I'm 55. I don't feel like I might pass out, though, it is just too uncomfortable. I expect that sometime they will ask me to leave the large choral group I sing with, because it is distracting if one of the singers is moving around like that. It is uncomfortable to stand for the long final rehearsals, anyway, but still disappointing.
                  1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

I wiggle and squirm all the time! LOL
                    It is a habit that was formed a long time ago to help distract myself from pain and discomfort.
                    Nope, I don't think its a weird question at all!
                    ~ Karen ~

2 Curvatures - 58 degrees before surgery
                    1983 - Luque Rod
                    1989 - Removal of Luque Rod
                    Current Diagnosis:
                    * rotoscoliotic deformation
                    * endplate sclerosis and osteophytes
                    * bilateral formanial narrowing
                    * severe hypertrophic osteoarthritis at L3/4
                    * osteoarthritis change in the S1 joint

Comment

yup! Painful! I've never realized it before either, and I also agree with the others about becoming really quiet when I'm in pain

Comment

I can't decide if I've progressed or regressed. I'm now moving my foot when I'm trying to go to sleep at night. I didn't realize it until my husband say, "Um, Becky, would you go to sleep so your foot will be still and I can go to sleep?" Sorry, honey. And there is a definate correlation between the level of pain I'm feeling at the moment and the amount of movement. The mind is a crazy and wonderful thing!
                        Becky, 46 years old
                        Ignored until 448/07
                        Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                        Fused T-10 to L-5
                        Email

Comment

Working...