No announcement yet.

inversion tables; structural thoughts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inversion tables; structural thoughts??

http://www.energycenter.com/grav_f/freq_ask_quest.html

to me this all makes sense, what do others think?

Gerbo,

I have read of the benefits of traction in regards to scoliosis so personally I don't see anything wrong with it. We have a home gym and Deirdre hangs from bars for a couple of minutes each day but she's not upside down as would be the case with an inversion table. You're not going to have Lisanna holding weights whilst on the table, are you?
    Last edited by Celia; 11-06-2007, 11:33 AM.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Since reading an article that Celia posted I've been trying to get my daughter to play or hang from the monkey bars more consistently, but she isn't interested (and winter is fast approaching). It seems like the inversion table could help, and if I let her watch TV while she hung, I suspect she'd be happy to comply (in fact I like the idea of the stretching on an inversion table for MYself!)

Which of the tables they offer would you be thinking of?
      daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
      -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
      -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
      -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

We had an inversion table for my husband when he experienced back problems. Have any of you actually tried this? I found it very uncomfortable to hang for very long, all the blood rushes down and it's not a pleasant sensation. Kids are different though, maybe they can tolerate it better. I could see some benefits to relieving stress off the discs and muscles if that's the intention. How long are they supposed to hang?

Gerbo, I noted in that article that they're attributing most children's scoliosis to bone anomalies or calcification disorders, I wonder where they got that info? As far as I know, noone really knows the cause, that would certainly make me hesitant to believe their other claims.

Comment

I had an inversion table many years ago, before my surgery in 1988, when I was having horrific pain. When I was inverted on the table, not quite upside down, I felt a lot of stretching and was hopeful that using the table would be helpful. However, as soon as I'd get back on my feet I'd have a feeling of my spine crashing down on itself and this caused yet more pain.

Stupidly I tried it for a long time, each time hoping that it would really help, but I finally gave up.

These days I still (sort of ) hang, but now it is from my hands with my feet on the floor. I get a good stretch along my ribs and do not feel any discomfort in may back. Of course I am now fused from T-6 to L-4 (ant and post), so there should be no movement in those areas of my spine.

Hope this helps,

Nora
          T-6 - L-4 Zeilke-CD (Anterior - Posterior) procedure in 1988 at age 39. Dr Jean Pierre Farcy New York City. 50% correction of severe levoscoliosis. Continuing to do very well 20 years post-op!

Comment

Gerbo, I was wondering if you decided to get one? I am intrigued and am considering the idea.
            -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
            -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
            -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Before anything, I'd say check with your doctor ...

Aside from that, I have one - and love it. It only gives temporary relief, but man, it feels awesome.

The tables in the original link are extremely overpriced, however. I'm in Texas, and we have a sporting goods/outdoor store called Academy: I picked my bed up for $99 (not on sale). The cheapest one in the link posted was $299.

Not knowing the efficacy for you beforehand - or whether you'll even like it - I'd suggest going with a cheaper bed. Even better, check craigslist - I see them for sale (in the neighborhood of $50) all the time.

I have another piece of equipment (in what my friends call my "torture chamber" - LOL) that I absolutely adore. I also picked it up at Academy, and I think it ran about $25. It's a metal framed wheel with a double row of firm (not hard) foam balls that roll.

Basically, I lay back over it (in a semi-backbend) and let my arms drop up and out to stretch my chest wall. Heaven!

I found a pic of what it looks like, but they don't sell from this site: My guess is you'd be able to locate one in your local sporting goods store.

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroo...-Massager.html

Regards,
              Pam
              Last edited by txmarinemom; 11-14-2007, 10:00 PM.
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Jill, tried one out at an osteopath yesterday. L actually quite liked it and could cope extreme well with hanging nearly upside down, Main issue is to make changes in position slowly, so body (bloodflow) can adjust to new position. Whether it is going to make any difference or not; i haven't got a clue, but decided to order one, which will arrive this week.

gerbo
                Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:38 AM.

Comment

arrived just before the weekend, whole family delighterd with it, even found my son yesterday hanging upside down (nearly), studying for his exams (there is the claim that inversion enhances brainpower by increasing bloodflow to the brain). We all have had a go, and I was the one struggling feeling extremely uncomfortable, but L loves it.

If you get one, main issue is friction, pressure on feet/ ankles, as this is where you eventually hang from, so make sure it is well padded and as secure as possible.
                  Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:37 AM.

Comment

thanks for the info. that's great that everyone in the family likes it. Which table did you end up ordering? (actually I just remembered that you aren't in the US so I'm not sure if the same models would be available here...if I recall are you in The Netherlands??? sorry if my memory fails but I had read thousands of posts over the course of a few fateful nights after my daughter was diagnosed so I don't remember all the details)

Jill

Comment

Originally posted by gerbo
                      If you get one, main issue is friction, pressure on feet/ ankles, as this is where you eventually hang from, so make sure it is well padded and as secure as possible.
                      This is SO true! I had near total ankle reconstruction (severed both outer ligaments and am all screwed back together) in May 2006. It was tough going completely upside down for a while (just gravity pulling on the ankle), and impossible without shoes. Don't laugh, but I'd actually wear ankle high lace up boots - and it helped tremendously.

Then again, even though 180° feels great, you get close to the same effect as soon as you go below 90° - and you don't get NEARLY the friction/pull on the ankles.

And again, I'd caution anyone about tossing $300+ towards one of these beds. The ones on the back websites are WAY overpriced, and they all work the same. I've tried the ones with memory foam and not, and IMHO the cost difference isn't justified.

As I stated before, I picked mine up for $99 at a local sporting goods store, and it has served the purpose well.

Regards,
                      Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                      EMAIL ME

Comment

Jill, I am dutch, but live in the UK

We Choose the table we choose (Health mark) as it was the one the osteopath used and felt very sturdy and safe, sure they indeed do all the same job. And indeed, good shoes help to protect feet and ankles.

there we are, another treatment, another few months of hope.........

Comment

Inversion Bench recall

Name of Products: Nordic Track and Reebok Inversion Benches

Units: About 22,000

Distributor: Icon Health & Fitness Inc., of Logan, Utah

Hazard: The ankle clamp mechanism can release unexpectedly, posing a
                          fall hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: Icon has received five reports of injuries to
                          consumers including contusions, lacerations and back pain.

Description: The recalled inversion benches invert a user by securing
                          the ankles in a locking device and rotating the bench. The Nordic Track
                          bench is model number 831.14595.0 and the Reebok bench is model number
                          RBBE1996.0. The model number is located under the seat of the bench.

Manufactured in: China

Sold at: Sporting goods stores nationwide from September 2006 through
                          January 2007 for about $200.

Remedy: Consumers should stop using the inversion benches immediately
                          and contact the firm to receive a free repair kit.

Consumer Contact: For further information, contact Icon Health & Fitness
                          toll-free at (866) 506-9095 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. MT Monday through
                          Friday, or visit the firm's Web site at www.iconfitness.com
                          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

how about 3D correction with inversion?

Hi gerbo!
                            I've thought a lot about combining approaches, too,
                            and I wonder...what if you derotate, breathe into the
                            concavities, invert, all at once...and see your osteopath
                            to promote more general potential correction? I suspect
                            Martha Hawes reduced her curves as an adult by the
                            combination of many techniques...
                            So exciting to hear how these things work for you.
                            Wish I'd had a clue years ago.
                            -Jen.

Comment

Inversion table recall ...

Mine is made by Champ ... $99 (as if I need to say that ~again~ to everyone overeager to drop 3-4x as much from sites you've allowed to convince you they're "different") from Academy.

Ankle mechanism is solid, it's seen MUCH use (not sure whether it'll see ANY after surgery), and has held up well.

And while it feels good, no WAY will it reduce a structural curve, no matter how you convolute your body.

"Derotating" (as you deem it) is temporary in a scenario when you're in inversion - and all you're doing is rotating within the confines your curve will allow.

If it were REALLY that simple, no one would need a brace, stapling or surgery.

Regards,
                              Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                              X