No announcement yet.

Vertebral Stapling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just been following the thread - because VBS wasn't around 30 years ago when my scoli was diagnosed.

Having been on enough internet boards to know - and as my son's boot camp SDI was fond of saying - "There's always one.".

To any newbies "welcomed" here with this topic, please ... do your research and don't accept Pubmed abstract and articles quoted and/or interpreted out of context by a lay-person.

Seek professional opinions - and "non-humorous" sources for your info. (I guess I missed the humor, as well).

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
      To any newbies "welcomed" here with this topic, please ... do your research and don't accept Pubmed abstract and articles quoted and/or interpreted out of context by a lay-person
      Ouch! I thought my analysis was pretty good.

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Thank you Pam.
        Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
        Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
        Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
        Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
        Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
        26 Degree Post Op Curve
        Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
        Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
        YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

To any newbies "welcomed" here with this topic, please ... do your research and don't accept Pubmed abstract and articles quoted and/or interpreted out of context by a lay-person.
          I'd say, do your research but look at the issues from all possible angles. Listening to the opinions of a large variety of individuals, all with their own experiences, knowledge, prejudices and blind spots is only going to help you in forming a rounded view. And just ignore the opinions you cannot cope with.

And Pubmed is a great source of information!

And some people cannot cope with strong characters with strong opinions and some people think Celia is great, and has been of great help to many.

Comment

i do find this stapling fascinating though.

does the stable run from vertebra to vertebra, or from the top to bottom of one vertebra.? Is correction attempted as and when the staples are applied or is it just meaned to happen over time? How many are applied usually?

Comment

The staples are applied from top of to bottom of each vertebrea ~ some correction takes place in the O.R. when the staples are actually applied and then correction can continue as the child grow.

Two children thus far have actually over corrected and one of those children has had the staples removed, another child who just had surgery 6 weeks ago who had a pre surgery curve of 28* has corrected down to 6* is that not amazing. My own daughter went from 42* down to 26* ~ these children were all facing 7+ years of brace wearing had they not had the stapling done.

And I do agree with you Gerbo that Celia has helped many people and her expertise regarding serial casting and spinecore is wonderful.

~A
              Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
              Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
              Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
              Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
              Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
              26 Degree Post Op Curve
              Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
              Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
              YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

Awww.... thanks guys! We've had some pretty interesting discussions, don't you think?

Canadian eh
                Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Celia,
                  Why do you have such a strong opinion against stapling? Nobody is going to force your daughter to have the stapling done.

Why can't you just stay away from the topic?? WHy not just say " VBS is not a choice I am considering for my daughter, I'd rather try spinecor"? ANd then, stay involved with helping people considering spinecor, instead of adding all this negativity and scare tactics to what has become a viable option for some kids with scoliosis.

As with almost any health problem (from cancer to the flu), there is seldom 1 cure for all people. The treatment that works for one person often fails for another - this is why parents so often must decide what course of treatment to follow, the doctors give you choices, but ultimately you must make the final decision, because even the doctors don't know for sure what will be successful.

I can't figure out why you would be so Pro-spinecor and Anti-stapling to dig up any information that you can twist into sounding like stapling is horrible - you do not seem to ever quote the favorable stats from the same articles, only the negatives. No scoliosis treatment is a guarantee - including spinecor. All of the treatments that are offered have downsides - that's why parents are sad when their kids are diagnosed with scoliosis.

Comment

Originally posted by gerbo
                    And Pubmed is a great source of information!
                    Damn skippy it is, as is MedLine and Entrez (yet another portion of PubMed) and if I inferred I felt differently, I was not clear in my stance.

I work in aerospace. I can get my hands on all KINDS of "experiments flown" data. Just because I can understand *most* of what's written, does that make me an expert - or even capable of extrapolating/interpreting that data for OTHER lay people? Neyt.

Absolutely, gerbo ... the truth lies somewhere in the middle of all the opinions and facts. I just hate to see someone running people off a fairly well documented procedure with their OWN negative - or non-existent - personal experiences.

I only read of this procedure a few days ago, and thank GOD I am not facing what most of you are (deciding on a path of treatment for your child ... BIG hugs to you all!). I'd suggest we all refrain from negating what WE didn't try, or what WE (personally) don't advocate.

Just because it wasn't OUR choice (unless it's pure quackery - ala Copes) doesn't mean it has no validity. And from what I've seen, VBS *has* some pretty interesting empirical data.

Regards,
                    Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Good points! When did I say my opinion is the last word?

Canadian eh

Comment

I don't believe *anyone* said it was, Celia. Sadly, some newbie who just arrived here might believe so.

Regards,
                        Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

Well if anyone has something positive to say about vertebral stapling, by all means do so! However this "shoot the messenger" mentality exhibited by a few seems to me to be an attempt to silence the opposition.
                          Last edited by Celia; 11-20-2007, 07:20 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

Do you actually READ, or just post, Celia?

I'm pretty sure at least TWO parents in this thread have experience. And FAR more than you can claim on VBS.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

Dear Pam and Scolimom456,

Thanks VERY much for understanding what we are trying to do. I recently told one parent who was interested in the stapling, but who was, at the same time nervous about surgery, NOT to rush into the stapling - that they could always decide to go that route later on. We are not trying to force or push anybody into anything.

My big issue is that I was NOT told by my son's former ortho that the procedure even existed - and had I not found out on my own, I'd still be in the dark about it. It turned out to be a wonderful thing for my son. And I only wish someone had told me sooner.

Amanda and I are working moms (we have three kids each). But we have decided to devote a lot of time to trying to help other families by giving them information as well as sharing our personal experience. We're not looking for a pat on the back - we do this because we want to do it and enjoy doing it - BUT when we have to deal with this negativity over and over - it's very tiring and frustrating - luckily we don't get discouraged easily

So I just wanted to let you guys know that it was a big lift to read your posts.

Thank you.
                              Last edited by mariaf; 11-20-2007, 08:45 PM.
                              mariaf305@yahoo.com
                              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
                                Do you actually READ, or just post, Celia?

I'm pretty sure at least TWO parents in this thread have experience. And FAR more than you can claim on VBS.

Who are you exactly? Do we know you by another name? I wonder.... Anyway, in my own defense since we're digging up letters, here is a letter I received from another parent who is new to this journey.

Thanks for sharing your view! I have no opinion of the stapling one
                                way or the other but I appreciate what I learn from people who have
                                done research or have benefited/not benefited from the surgery. I
                                feel like am in such foreign territory right now, still surprised at
                                the initial diagnosis, that I just simply can't make much sense of
                                some of the articles.

I am glad forums like this exist because I'm having a hard time
                                getting concrete answers to my questions and I appreciate the honest
                                feedback and open dialogue about the topics!
                                Last edited by Celia; 11-20-2007, 09:34 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

Working...
                                X