11 days post-op!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 days post-op!

Hi! I'm back! Last Saturday at UMC was my last day in the hospital. I was in for 6 days. I'm now staying at my parent's house which is about 5 minutes away from my own house... My husband and my 2 boys are staying at home though because it makes the mornings easier on them for school and work. They are all here afterwards until bedtime and then they go home...So my parents are around all the time if i need something. If anything, the only thing they really help with is making sure i eat a balanced diet and we watch movies together and bond.

This is what Jane can do all by herself:

1. get on computer if daniel brings it

2. eat, drink (no restrictions)

3. get up from the bed and chair

4. put my brace on/take it off

5. go to the bathroom alone ( i did get my period the 4th or 5th day after surgery)

6. brush my hair - put it up in a ponytail

7. WALK - with a walker

8. brush my teeth (in a chair, holding a bowl to my chin since i can't lean over anything)

9. spongebath (i took my first shower on tuesday with my husband's assistance - it was a fearful moment. being w/o the brace makes me feel very fragile)

I'm on percocet for pain every 4-6 hours (more like every 4) and soma for muscle spasms every 4-6 hours but i only take it at night.

My post-op appt with the surgeon is next tuesday so I'm going to confirm if they grafted any bone from my hips. My husband says i have 2 symmetrical holes on my hips - and from that area - there's this numbness, yet burning pain and radiates to both my upper thigh area. It's very uncomfortable. I sure hope it goes away soon.

Does anyone have any tips on getting in and out of a car? More specifically, a van or small SUV? That was the most hardest thing to do by far...

Like everyone says - it is a looooong road to recovery...

hope you are all well -- no regrets!
    -----------------
    Jane

34 yrs old
    Diagnosed at 12; Boston Brace for a year; ScoliTron for 3 months. Curves left untreated after 13 yrs old until 27yrs old.
    Pre-Op Upper Curve: 49; Post-Op: 14
    Pre-Op Lower Curve: 51; Post-Op: 18
    Posterior Reconstruction from T2-L3 on Oct 22, 2007
    Dr McNulty - UMC Hospital

Las Vegas, NV

Hi Jane,
    I wish you all the best in your recovery!
    You sound like you are handling it all well. Taking a shower for the first time at home was extremely scary! I just remember taking the brace off and being scared to death I'd fall. Each time it gets better and you feel more secure on balance. I was so exhausted after a shower!!! My husband helped me the first few times and then after that I was comfortable to just have him fairly close by the bathroom.
    You also brought back memories of getting in the car. That is another thing that will just take time. I had a cherokee jeep back then & it seemed fairly easy to climb into rather than a smaller car. I practiced getting in exercises at my Rehab before I got home & that helped alot.
    Hang in there and know it will get better in time. Lynne

Comment

Hi Jane,

Like Lynne, you brought back my memories as well.

I had a certain amount of fear in every new thing I tried, but I found that most of the time I was able to confront the obstacle with some effort, and that gave me great satisifaction when I was able to do it.

Just don't give up on yourself, and what you are able to achieve!!! Just the fact that you have gone through one hell of a surgery, already makes you a very strong person, and I think it's important that we never lose sight of that!!!

Way to go, but take it one step at a time.

Shari

Comment

Wow! You are already doing a lot. I was not doing that much at 11 days post-op (but then again, I had just got out of the hospital). I would say don't push it with the car if you don't have to. Getting into an SUV was better for me and I still use a pillow for my back in the car.
        Congratulations on everything. Keep getting better. You're doing great!
        Best,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

You're doing great!

It is so good to hear of your successes! Try to keep up the walking, that seems to be what helped me the most. I practiced getting in and out of a car in rehab, but learning to back into the seat and swivel seemed to help, too. let us know how you are doing.... Lisa
          Lisa age 47
          T curve 69 degrees
          L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
          fused to from T-3 to sacrum
          anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
          pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Working...
          X