• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Structural Integration for Scoliosis

This link shows a Structural Integration (rolfing) treatment for scoliosis:

http://www.somatics.de/ScoliosisFulg...isFulgenzi.htm

Ruth
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Hi Ruth,

Are you doing this treatment with Esme? It seems like a wonderful way to enhance what the spine cor is doing for her. I plan to start some type of PT for my daughter, Michela, soon. She is not braced yet but may soon be. We are also looking into vertebral stapling. Either way, at some point, we will work in some type of controlled physical therapy. Strengthening the back and leg muscles is a great idea no matter what. Some phsyical therapy facility's have specific exercise programs geared for scoliosis patients now. They have a better idea of the special needs a scoli patient has. Thanks for you post.

Stephanie
    Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
    10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
    07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
    12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
    2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
    3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

Stephanie: I will post on the forum how Esme responds to this therapy. We have never done anything like this before so it will be interesting to see if she benefits from it - especially in the long-term. Ruth
      Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Ruth, When will Esme start the treatment?

Jill
        daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Also, Structural had posted some studies related to Structural Integration and Scoliosis as it relates to pain management under a thread in "non-surgical treatments" titled "Pain Management"
          -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
          -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
          -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Jill:
            Our first appointment is this Thursday afternoon.
            Ruth

Comment

Well we had our first appointment for Structural Integration today with Miranda. We talked for an hour about Esme's posture and her medical history. We took full length photographs from various angles. Miranda was surprised by how well Esme has adjusted her posture to look "normal" given the size of her curves.

Miranda recommended Esme wear a special shoe and a shoe insert to straighten out her feet. Her feet don't face forward but out to the side. The shoes are to help correct her standing position which affects the way her whole body positions itself.

We go back on Monday for Esme's first actual "hands-on" treatment.

Miranda said the Spinecor brace would be okay with the SI treatments but a hard brace would not have been. A hard brace would not allow the body to benefit from the SI treatments.

Ruth

Comment

Thanks for the update Ruth. How long will her session last when she goes on Monday? I was reading general information on Rolfing and they indicated 10 sessions of an hour each but said the sessions might be shorter for children and might be a number different than 10. Did she indicate a range of how many sessions she envisioned for Esme? I'll be looking forward to hear how it goes on Monday. Also, probably something you have already thought about but thought I'd mention it anyway just in case - if you do use inserts will you let the spinecor doctor know? (I'm wondering if the fitting of the brace might have to be adjusted concurrently?) Good luck!

Comment

Jill:

Esme's sessions will be one hour - she may need more than 10 treatments but that will depend on whether we think Esme is benefitting from the SI. It is interesting you read that children might have shorter sessions - maybe an hour is too intense for them?

The SI therapist also recommended increasing Esme's yoga from one hour a week to three, one hour sessions each week.

Yes, I wondered about the shoes & shoe insert and whether this would affect the brace - we go back to Montreal November 28th so we can ask then. Her number 1 strap seems to be loose after wearing the brace for just over a week - don't know what this means.
                  Last edited by rtremb; 11-02-2007, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Well Esme had her first one hour SI session with Miranda Dayvis. The session actually went for about an hour and a half - not only because Miranda was so thorough with her treatment - but also because Esme kept giggling and laughing so much. At first it was because Miranda was working on some ticklish spots but later at one point Esme just couldn't stop laughing for about three or four minutes. It was like a sudden huge emotional release. I haven't heard her laugh like that in a long time - probably not since the doctor told her last August he wanted to operate in February!!

Anyway, she enjoyed the session, did not suffer any pain or get any bruises (something her paediatrian suggested to us might happen!!). What is it with doctors always making you feel like you shouldn't try anything but bracing and surgery?

We will go back again in two weeks. Esme is to do yoga (Hatha) three times a week in the meantime.

Ruth

Comment

Great news, Ruth. We observed something similar (no giggling, but repeated statements about how happy he felt, what a good day he was having) in Sidney after his first MFR session. Very mysterious this scoliosis, no? I will follow Esme's progress with SI with interest--we may want to go there at some point. For now we are feeling really good about the current practitioner doing the MFR (who, by the way, has also mentioned that the Spinecor brace works well with the treatments). Anyway, I'm so happy for Esme (and you) that this is a good experience!

Also thanks for mentioning Scoliosis and the Human Spine by Martha Hawes. Our copy arrived yesterday--very interesting.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Mary Ellen:
                        Martha Hawes wrote some other books too. The book we have is very interesting and informative but I had hoped it would be more specific about how she reduced her curves - I am wondering if she wrote one about this. Will do some googling......
                        Ruth

Comment

Ruth,

I don't know if you have seen this abstract. I can't remember if I have read this article or not I'll check. I'm also not sure what CMM entails.

1: Stud Health Technol Inform. 2002;91:365-8. Links

Reversal of the signs and symptoms of moderately severe idiopathic scoliosis in response to physical methods.

Hawes MC, Brooks WJ.
                          Department of Plant Pathology, University of Arizona, Tucson AZ 85721, USA.

This report describes improved signs and symptoms of previously untreated symptomatic spinal deformity in an adult female diagnosed with moderately severe thoracic scoliosis at the age of .7 years. Current treatment initiated at the age of forty included massage therapy, manual traction, ischemic pressure, and comprehensive manipulative medicine (CMM). A left-right chest circumference inequity was reduced by >10 cm, in correlation with improved appearance of the ribcage deformity and a 40% reduction in magnitude of Cobb angle, which had been stable for 30 years. The changes occurred gradually over an eight-year period, with the most rapid improvement occurring during two periods when CMM was employed.
                          PMID: 15457757 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

Canadian eh
                          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Ruth, have there been any more SI treatments and if so, how did they go?

I'm going to send you a PM.

thanks, Jill

Comment

Jill:
                              We go for the second treatment next Tuesday afternoon. I started a New Thread about Pronation and Scoliosis under Watching and Waiting. I added an interesting website link my husband found. What do you think?
                              Ruth

Comment

Working...
                              X