Thread: Z-Coil Shoes

Z-Coil Shoes

Have any of you found certain shoes that are better for your back than others? I have some Z-Coil shoes... the ones with open "springs" in the heel. They really are good to absorb some of the shock of walking, but I find them kinda heavy and cumbersome. Do you have any suggestions for other good ones?

JoAnn

Get an AIR FILLED RUNNING SHOE. New Balance has the largest selection. Pick the shoe up and it should feel light as a feather. You will definately have happy feet, legs and back!!!!

Thanks, Dalmatica! I'll have to look for those... sound much better than these heavy things!

Rockport, Clarks and Dr. Scholl shoes are good - very light. They come in a variety of styles for work, walking and/or special outings. I have found these brands help with my scoliosis back pain.
    Ruth
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

JoAnn-- not knowing your age or what type of shoe you're looking for, it's hard to say. I found some I use for my daily walking (weather permitting!) that I love. They are New Balance 801 style, available in wide widths, which I need. They are slip-ons so I don't need to bend over to put them on...
    66 and still heartbroken...
    2007 52 w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior spinal fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15
    2014 DXd w/CMT (type 2)

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

There are a couple different shoes with the same effect of Z-Coil shoes. MBT shoes http://www.swissmasaius.com/Default.aspx?lang=en-US and Chung Shi shoes http://www.footsolutions.com/chung_shi_shoes.htm both place the body in a natural alignment when walking as if you were to be walking on sand.
    I recommend trying them on in a store before purchasing them because they are expensive and definatly have a different feel than a normal pair of shoes. They are very lightweight (Chung Shi) although I have never tried on the MBT. Others on this board have used the MBT's.