Diagnosed with Arthritis 24 years after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnosed with Arthritis 24 years after surgery

I had 3 scoliosis surgeries 24 years ago. First one was corrective surgery, second one was to lenghten the rod because my spine was more flexible than they had anticipated and the third one was to remove the rod because the bottom hook came loose.
    Over the years, my back pain has increased. Lately, I have noticed a lot of "cracking" in my back along with a lot of pain. I went to an orthopedic surgeon (who did not do my surgeries) and he told me I have severe arthritis in my spine. Are there any treatments that will help? He told me to quit my job but frankly, that is not an option. Will standing on your feet 8 hours a day actually cause arthritis to progress faster? I didn't completely understand what he was saying but he said something about air pockets ( either from the fusion or the arthritis) cause the "cracking" sensation.
    Is anyone else out there experiencing any of this?

Hi...

Arthritis in the spine is pretty common in people as they age, and probably more common in people with scoliosis.

The popping you describe is the same mechanism as when someone cracks their knuckles. My lower back cracks relatively often.

I would urge you to find an orthopaedic surgeon who has a lot of experience in treating patients with prior scoliosis fusions. Where are you located?

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I have severe arthritis in my spine that is causing a great deal of bone deteration. I recently started taking Tramadol on days when the pain is real bad. It helps to ease the pain to where I can tolerate it. I've noticed it takes down the swelling in my hands that is caused by arthritis. I take it only if the heating pad won't help. Three mornings a week, I go to a therapy pool where they keep the water at 90 degrees. It helps to ease the pain and loosen me up for the day. That is the only way I am allowed to get exercise. My doctor told me to stop working also. I do substitute teaching a couple of days a week (I used to teach full-time). Ususally by half way through the day, I am very sore.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
      X