No announcement yet.

Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am only 3 weeks post op and I too was scared out of my mind. This forum and the wonderful people on it helped me realize it would be ok. I went into surgery relaxed and calm and I think that is important. My fusion is from T8 to the sacrum.

I am so glad already that I had this done. I feel like I was in good physical condition and that helps tremendously and each day I feel stronger and stronger.

I know I could not have continued enjoying life the way I wanted to had I not had the surgery so I looked at it like what is a year out of my life when I have so many good years ahead to look forward to pain free.

The surgery wasn't nearly as bad as I had made in seem in my mind. Yes there is pain but the nurses are very good at making sure your pain is controlled.

In the end it is your decision. This is just one more persons sucess and happy ending.

Good luck.
    Carol
    CarolS
    68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
    Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
    Osteotomy March 20,2008
    Thrilled with results!

Comment

I think that no matter what age we are, or what shape our backs are in, we all have the same kinds of fears and concerns.

Even though we all have scolisosis, it is amazing to me how we tend to differ in our degrees and symptoms. We also all have different mind sets, and we really have no right to judge one another for the decisions we make in our lives concerning how we choose to deal with it.

It is hard to disagree with someone who doesn't have the chronic pain, when they choose to not have the surgery. But how can you not take the chance to make your life better when you are in constant pain???

Just a question?,
      Shari

Comment

Ash-- I was in your spot less than a year ago and opted for surgery last May. I didn't want to wait until it was too late. One constant reminder to me of the need to go ahead was a dear friend who had surgery (without instrumentation) as a child--probably about 50 years ago, spent a year in a cast, but has had her curve progress dramatically to where it is about 100*. They have made so many strides in scoliosis surgery since that time. She is so crippled now and has been to see many doctors, but she is too damaged and too fragile to have any revision surgery. I didn't want that to happen to me because I put off surgery too long. I, too, have many questions about whether or not I'll be "well" at some point, when I recover from the surgery. It could be that I won't ever be 100%, but at least I shouldn't get more crooked. The only thing my friend can do now for her severe chronic pain is to have a morphine pump surgically implanted-- and she doesn't want to do that and lose control. I guess you just have to weigh the possibilities and pray hard. Good luck with your decision!
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Well YET AGAIN you, CHRIS WBS, put a negative spin on a question.

"I wonder what is is that scares you out of your mind in reguard to this surgery"
          "Here on this forum you will find out answers from those who had the same fears and faced them head on."

I thought if Ash addressed SPECIFIC fears we could address them. Next time read the WHOLE reply and not just pick out the parts you can address negative and rudely.

Comment

Thank you for all your comments, everyone. I'm trying to stay positive about this whole thing - I'm trying not to think about people I know who have been over-medicated in the hospital, and contracted a staff infection. I don't want to put blinders on, but it helps me to hear all the positive stories. I've heard good things about Dr. Pashman and about Cedars Sinai Hospital which makes me feel better. This is so difficult. I'm so afraid I'm going to make the wrong decision and regret it for the rest of my life. I do have pain daily and I have had tingling in my legs, feet and hands for about 5 years - these things make me think it's time to do something. Ugh!
            Last edited by ash; 10-25-2007, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Ash,

No matter what decision you make can only be made by you!!! Naturally your family and loved ones will support you, and so will we!!!

It's never an easy decision to make for any of us, and you will find people here that are on opposite sides of this debate, and that's allright, because this is really a support group.

Do what you feel in your heart is the right thing to do. That's what matters most. We'll be here either way.

You know your body best, as we all do, and for me constant pain made me make the decision to have surgery. But everyone is different.

Just know you're not alone,
              Shari

Comment

Thanks, Shari!
                Ash

Comment

Hi Ash,

I don’t know if you saw my recent post where I report a seven degree progression in one year. I’ve been in denial for too long thinking that this thing will stabilize on its own and I’ll live out the rest of my life with maybe a few aches and pains here and there. NOT! I would not have believed it if I hadn’t seen it with my own two eyes. My scoliosis is progressing rapidly and causing dangerous changes to my vertebrae. Left untreated, in ten years I will be terribly deformed and probably in a wheelchair, if I’m even able to sit. I once again looked at a slide presentation of Dr. Boachie’s that shows an elderly woman with a severe lumbar curve who is nothing but skin and bones because her abdominal organs have become so crowded, food can’t pass through her intestines. I don’t want that to happen to me if I can prevent it. Ask yourself this, “If you were diagnosed with cancer, would you deny yourself treatment for fear that you may end up regretting it?” I know how scared you are; so am I, but I’ve decided to let go and let God. As a matter of fact, a couple of weeks ago in church one Sunday I prayed and asked God to push me to do whatever it is I have to do. He sent me pain that week which led me to contact the surgeon so I could see for myself that I cannot postpone treatment much longer. I truly believe that.

Chris

Comment

Signs

Thanks Chris.
                    It's funny that you prayed for a sign - I did the same thing and had severe pain for several days. Whether it was a sign, or somehow psychologically self-induced, I'm feeling better about going through with surgery. I've come to the conclusion that whatever you do in life there will be people who tell you not to do things, or that you can't do something for one reason or another. I think surgery is the right choice for me. I don't want to turn out like Susie*Bee's friend. God willing I'm looking forward to living a long life and I think it's best to fix this problem now, rather than wait until it's too late.

Everyone has been so helpful with their comments. Thanks!

By the way, anyone out there have tingling in hands and legs? And Lynne, if you're out there, do you mind if I ask what kind of intestinal problems you were having. I'm having problems in that department as well.....

Thanks!
                    Last edited by ash; 10-29-2007, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Ash-- it sounds like you've gotten a lot of good advice and encouragement. I think you'll find that when you make the decision about surgery for sure, you'll have a real sense of relief. With that decision, one tremendous hurdle is behind you. Then you can change your focus to preparing for the surgery and recovery. At least that's how it was for me. My faith that the Lord would see me through it all, regardless of how it all went, was my anchor--and whatever scenario my imagination would take with the outcome, that faith always made it turn out alright. It gives you a very real sense of peace going into the surgery. As it was, my surgery went fine and he was able to correct me more than he thought he would. It is a whomping surgery and recovery takes awhile, especially for older people like me. I don't know how old you are--but younger adults and teens bounce back much quicker. Regardless, I am sure I won't ever regret the surgery. And again, every time I see my friend, the sight of her re-confirms how right my decision was for me. Best wishes.
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thank you, Susie*Bee.
                        I'm 42 years old. Diagnosed at 12 with 28* curve. Braced for a year or so - then ignored until now. I'm glad you're doing well! I'm trying to let go of the fear and focus on the surgery and recovery.
                        Ashley

Comment

Ashley,

Thought you in particular might find the following of interest since you are having surgery by Dr. Pashman who is obviously one of the best. In the hands of a very talented and skillful surgeon, there’s always hope even with the most challenging cases.
                          http://www.espine.com/scoliosis-surgery-newspaper.htm

Chris

Comment

Hi Ash

Dr. Pashman did my surgery 1 month ago. I love that man. I had 3 opinions before i had met with him. I feel that he is the BEST there is for this kind of surgery. There was an incredible article in the RJ newspaper in Las Vegas about a chef here in LV that had surgery performed by him, and he was in bad shape. One of his curves was 70+ degrees. He had 3 surgeries because he had the old fashion harrington rods in his back that needed to be removed. I believe he is truly the best!!!

Best of luck to you
                            A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
                            T2 to Sacrum
                            Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
                            Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
                            Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
                            Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
                            Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Comment

Working...
                            X