No announcement yet.

Pain with Spinecor brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ali is almost 13. She has made great progress over the past couple weeks though. I feel like I am getting my daughter back. She has started working with a therapist to deal with all her feelings about the Scoliosis. Her therapist explained that what she is going through is grief and we will see different stages such as Denial, Anger, Acceptance, etc. and that it will be like a roller coaster.

We just take it one day at a time and rejoice each day it gets better.
    Stephanie ~ mom to Ali soon to be 13
    Diagnosed 12/06
    Boston Brace - 3/07 ~ SpineCor Brace - 6/07
    Curves ~ 40 T/30 L

Comment

After much trial and error, I finally found dance shorts that helped ease the chafing from the thigh straps on the spinecor brace. The dance shorts are made with 91% Tactel Nylon and 9% spandex by Motion Wear. Ali loves the dance shorts and hasn't had any chafing from the thigh straps since we got them. The website is www.motionwear.com. The company is located in Indianapolis, IN. I am not sure if you can order directly from their site. I order them through a local dance store in Ohio.

She also loves the Body Wrappers tank tops.

Plus, they both wash well in the washing machine and can withstand the dryer (although I try to let them air dry unless my DH is doing the laundry.
      Stephanie ~ mom to Ali soon to be 13
      Diagnosed 12/06
      Boston Brace - 3/07 ~ SpineCor Brace - 6/07
      Curves ~ 40 T/30 L

Comment

We need help........Esme is having trouble with her brace. The number 2 strap is hurting so badly she can't wear it. It is very tight at her waist and as a result is digging into her side. I am wondering if anyone else had this problem and had to get it adjusted? She has only been wearing the brace for 12 days. Two days ago this wasn't bothering her.
        We don't go back to Montreal for the one month check up until November 28th.
        Any experience or comments would be really appreciated. Thanks.
        Ruth
        Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Ruth ,
          I would call Montreal and ask Dr. Coillard and Dr. Rivard, unless at this point, (I realize it's been 11 days since you posted this), she is OK. They are very good about answering questions. You could e-mail pics if needed. Hope this smoothes out!
          Hugs!
          Cheryl
          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

I looked at all your posts and found where you contacted them. Glad things are better!
            God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Cheryl:
              We did end up calling Montreal and Dr. Colliard said we could loosen the strap that was too tight a bit. This helped for a few days then she had pain on the other side, then this went away. Then she started getting abdominal pain around where the big plastic part is at the front of brace so I took her to the doctor to make sure nothing was wrong (like a bladder infection) - there was nothing wrong. Anyway, this week she seems to have finally adjusted to the brace for the most part...fewer complaints and much more compliance (20 hours minimum/day). I think perhaps her body has been getting used to being pushed around by the brace and this is the source of most of the problems we have had with painful spots. Esme is also learning that for her it is better not to take it off once it is comfortable because it is hard to put it back on "just right". We are finding that Esme has less difficulty with the brace during the school week - the problems seem to come on the weekend when she doesn't have school to distract her and she wants to sit around on the floor, climb trees, do crafts, etc.
              Ruth
              Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Rachel had some trouble spots to begin with too. Her right shoulder and hip killed her. It took a while.
                I'll be praying that this works for Esme. God is our ultimate healer and HE is not bound by medicine.

Comment

Working...
                X