Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has this happened to anyone

I've just gone 2 months post-op.

My back seems to crack on a daily basis. I dont know if i shoukd worry about it or not.

I go and see my doctor in a couple of weeks.
    2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

I can't believe that you said this... I had revision surgery in March 2007, prior to this date, when I had my harrington rod in my back from my first surgery in 1980, my back NEVER cracked...

After my 2 surgeries in March, my back cracks constantly!!!! I mentioned this to my doctor a few times now, and he said that he never heard this before... But the answer is def. yes for me!!!

Gina

Comment

I also feel as my back cracks, but it has gotten better. It usually happens when i'm lying flat and try to stretch my body out.
      Patty 51 years old
      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
      Posterior T3- L4
      Pre surgery curves
      T-53degrees
      L-38degrees
      and a severe side shift to the right.
      Post surgery curves
      Less than 10 degrees
      Surgery April, 2006
      C4 - C6

Comment

My back seems to crack when I'm actually standing or walking not lying down. I had my op back in July. I'll run it past my doctor and see what he says

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

I experienced loud, occasionally painful cracking constantly for several months, usually when I was sitting down at the computer or watching TV. I had my surgery back in 1967 and 1970 with one Harrington Rod, and never had any cracking before. The problem began after I had an accident last December, and the cracking sounds continued for about 3 - 4 months and gradually subsided. In my case, a combination daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin helped alot (Dr. Theo's AvoSoy Complete), along with a fish oil supplement.

Bonnie

Comment

Cina, maybe you should phone your doctor ahead of time if you're worried, it's better not to have to sit and wait.
            1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
            2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
            2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
            Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
            msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Arthritis after scoliosis surgery

I had corrective surgery done 24 years ago. In fact, they did it 3 times because of complications. (rod would pivot because my spine was more flexible than anticipated and then the rod removed after the bottom hook came lose). Anyway, I now am having a lot of back pain and stiffness. Also, my back cracks all of the time.(sort of like cracking your knuckles). The orthopedic surgeon that I saw said my pain and the "cracking" is because I have severe arthritis. He then proceeded to tell me that I need to quit my job! Does anyone know if standing on your feet all day will cause arthritis to progress faster? I can deal with the pain as long as I know I am not doing more damage. Boy, they never tell you about the arthritis you will develope years after surgery.

Comment

I read it up on the internet that anyone who has this type of surgery (placement of rods) will get arthritis. I'm only 20 and almost 3 months post-op. I was never told that it'd get it until i asked an orthopedic doctor about it. My back hasn't cracked for about 3 weeks now. I was kinda scared that a rod had broken or something

Comment

How funny - I was going to ask this!

I was finally forced to drive today (LOL ... I had too much crap to buy to carry home walking). Went fine.

Anyway, the weirdest thing happened about halfway through my errands: I got out on the road, leaned back against the seat (not at ALL hard) and *craaaaaaaaaaaaack* right in the fusion area. I mean like a normal back crack on a definitely NOT normal (anymore) back!

Actually felt kind of good, and left no lingering soreness.

I called Hanson's office a few times but kept missing Pete - and before I knew it, it was after 5:00 p.m.

Anyone have an idea what causes this, and how it's even possible?

Regards,
                  Pam
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

I have no idea what causes it, but I did have the same thing happen and it freaked me out every time it cracked. I was so scared but have had many x-rays and everything seems to be fine.
                    Patty 51 years old
                    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                    Posterior T3- L4
                    Pre surgery curves
                    T-53degrees
                    L-38degrees
                    and a severe side shift to the right.
                    Post surgery curves
                    Less than 10 degrees
                    Surgery April, 2006
                    C4 - C6

Comment

I called Hanson's office and talked to Lisa (he was out).

She confirmed lots of patients have had this happen, and it's most likely no issue if it didn't/doesn't hurt (it's fine today ... no soreness). She's going to ask him and call me back.

I'm more curious what causes it, and how that area could possibly feel like a normal back crack! ;-)

Regards,
                      Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                      EMAIL ME

Comment

The verdict is in ...

At least in my case (no pain when it cracked ... no residual soreness), my surgeon suspects it was the sound/feel of a muscle dragging across the hardware.

Sounds *far* more creepy than how it felt - LOL!

Regards,
                        Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                        X