Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-surgery admission med exam

9/26/07

Our daughter, who is 25 years old and has a 50 degree curve, has her pre-admission exam scheduled for Oct. 11th in Lenox Hill Hospital in NYC where her sugery will be performed by Dr. Antonacci on Monday, Oct. 29th. (God willing).

Wondering what this type of med exam entails? And how extensive?
    Hopefully all that is necessary to feel that she is entering into the surgery in a positive and healthy state of well-being.

Appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Thank you.
    bjmk18

I am having surgery next summer, and they told me that my pre-op exam will include this:
    *EKG
    *Pulmonary function test
    *anesthesia consult
    *My packet that I was given says I will get a bone density test but I'm not sure if I actually am....
    *More X-rays, maybe bending x-rays though i'm not sure because i've had those already
    *Some bloodwork, and a urine test
    *And before all this I have to give two units of my own blood.... but that's not really part of the pre-op

Hope that helps,
    Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Comment

Pre-surgery admission med exam

9/26/07

Dear Amae 28,

Thank you so much for your reply. It is very helpful to know ahead of time.
      Our daughter also has had several x-rays, bending: standing, lying down with a bolster and a MRI. At this point, she is not required to give her own blood. I think because it is so close to the surgery date that is better for her and her strength. Since yours is in the future, this certainly seems like a good thing to do.

Sincerely,
      bjmk18

Comment

Abbie

My daughter is also having surgery with Dr. Lenke. She's having the same preop as you with the exception of an EKG. Is there a particular reason why you're having this done? Just wondering.

Comment

Well, Dr. Lenke's nurse gave me a packet and in it said what all the pre-op testing was. I'm sure it's a pretty general packet so maybe I won't be getting an EKG, I don't know. I don't know why I would have one other than to just check and see that everything is working ok, but I have had a heart ultrasound before that came out normal.
          I could see having an EKG as a fairly routine pre-op test though, I have a friend who had scoliosis surgery a couple years ago and she had one done beforehand and found out she had WPW (Wolf-PArkinson's White) syndrome, and she had to go in and get an extra electrical pathway cut in her heart before she could have surgery. So, I don't know, that'd be a good question to ask the nurse.
          aBbiE
          Kyphoscoliosis...
          Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation

Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
          all smiles!

Comment

Abbie

When we went for the initial consultation, they asked us if she had any previous heart problems, I said no, so they said she didn't need an EKG.

She finished all her preop last week and she'll be donating one unit of blood in Oct., my husband is donating one for her too. We go back Oct. 18 for her preop consultation, xrays and pics.

Is Dr. Lenke using BMP on you? What levels are you having fused?

Comment

Well maybe I won't be getting an EKG then. I'm sure the packet I was given was pretty general.
              I am being fused from T3-L1, and yes he will be using the BMP on me. (thank goodness, one less thing to worry about!)
              One thing I was wondering about though was how much my rib hump will go away. Did he tell you how much your daughter was rotated? I am curious because he said that I was "very rotated" for my degree of curvature, and I just wanted to see if anyone else was told what their rotation was. Mine was 18 degrees, so I don't know.
              When I went to see Dr. Lenke a couple weeks ago I was completely blown away by the hospital campus! I haven't been in Barnes Jewish yet (I'll be having by surgery there, I'm sure you all will be at children's) though. You'll have to let me know how your experience is.
              aBbiE
              Kyphoscoliosis...

Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
              all smiles!

Comment

Bmp

What is a BMP?
                2000 34*L/39*T
                2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
                (initially planned T4-L1)
                12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

It's "Bone Morphogenetic Protein"... basically they use it instead of using bone graft harvested from your hip, ribs, etc.
                  ...from a website:
                  "BMP is a naturally occurring human protein that has been isolated and reproduced as a result of cutting edge human gene research."
                  aBbiE
                  Kyphoscoliosis...

Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                  all smiles!

Comment

Hi Abbie

I forgot what the rotation was, but it is fairly significant. I didn't ask how much reduction we should expect, I'll try to remember to ask at the preop appt. on Oct. 18.

He's also using BMP on her, quite a surprise since the other 3 doctors we interviewed said it was too expensive to be used on adolescents.

She'll be at the Children's hospital but I've heard some good things about Barnes Jewish from some adults who had surgery with him, I'm sure you'll be well taken care of. I'll let you know how things go after surgery.

Are you driving or flying? We're flying, a 2 hour flight from Houston.

Comment

We are driving... it's four hours from Kansas City. I think if we flew it would end up taking longer anyways...
                      aBbiE
                      Kyphoscoliosis...

Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                      all smiles!

Comment

Working...
                      X