Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son in Spinecor for almost a year

Hi Everyone,

I came aboard last year after Andrew (15) was diagnosed with Scheuermanns Kyphosis. I have not been on much, but have had the pleasure of befriending Melissa and Cheryl. As you all know the whole process can be overwhelming. I still wake sometimes with the hope that this is all a bad dream. Doesnt take long for the reality to sink in though. We did travel to see Orthos at Shriners and Dupont. I was hoping to see Dr. Betz but was told he does not see patients anymore. I understand that he is involved with a new procedure called stapling. I am a little afraid to inquire about it though since I think we need to stay the course with Spincor.

So decided to go to Montreal to see Rivard/Coillard since no one in the Northeast would try the Spinecor brace on a kyphosis patient.I talked to everyone I could in the tri-state area.! Andrew started with a 78 degree curve. ( for kyphosis, 40 is normal). He was just measured in August at 43 degree!!! Dr. Rivard was great. Basically, he told Andrew that he had to wear a brace, but he was very good with him.

Drs. Rivard and Ciollard are very pleased, but remind us that stablization does not occur for at least 2 years. So we are half way there. He does look like he holds himself straighter until he bends over. When he bends over the kyphosis is still quite evident but Dr. Rivard has hope that with stablization this will improve.

Well anyway,

I just wanted to thank all of you who responded and helped us make this decision. I am not an expert by any means but could help with little issues like snaps that wont work or how to deal with schools and people who tease.

Thanks again to everyone.

Gwen

PS CherylP I have a new phone and need your number. Hope to talk to you soon!!!

Hi Gwen,

I'm not sure where you got your info from but Dr. Betz does still see patients is currently not doing any surgical procedures due to shoulder surgery early this year but once's he's done healing he'll be back in the OR. He was also the pioneer for Vertbral Stapling but this is not something he is completely focusing on either. Shriners in Philly sees and helps many many patients only a handful that are candidates for the stapling.

I'm sure if you call Shriners in Philly you'll be able to schedule a clinc appt for you son.

Amanda
    Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
    Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
    Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
    Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
    Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
    26 Degree Post Op Curve
    Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
    Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
    YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

Gwen, that is great news! I didn't realize spinecor could treat kyphosis also. Thanks for sharing and I wish your son continued stablization over the next 2 years and beyond!
      daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
      -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
      -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
      -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Originally posted by jillw
        Gwen, that is great news! I didn't realize spinecor could treat kyphosis also. Thanks for sharing and I wish your son continued stablization over the next 2 years and beyond!

Hi

Well we couldnt find anyone who does use the spinecor for scoliosis to fit it on Andrew accept one doctor at John Hopkins. So we decided to see Rivard who currently has 15 kyphosis patients in the brace. Thanks for the good wishes..

Gwen

Comment

GWENK - My son just diagnosed with Kyphosis

Hi Gwen,
          I am new to this forum. My son also has been diagnosed with Scheuermanns Kyphosis with 77 degree curve. I am very interested in the SpineCor brace. I have read your postings and would like to make appointment with Dr. Hilaire Rivard but first have some questions and would like to talk to you.
          Thank you,
          Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by gwenk
            I was hoping to see Dr. Betz but was told he does not see patients anymore. I understand that he is involved with a new procedure called stapling. I am a little afraid to inquire about it though since I think we need to stay the course with Spincor.
            Hi Gwen,

I want to reiterate what Amanda said - Dr. Betz has just gotten back in the OR (only assisting at this point - as he continues to recover from rotator cuff surgery).

He does see patients in clinic - we saw him in the fall and are seeing him again on 2/19.

While stapling is one of the many techniques he uses to treat scoliosis, he most certainly does not focus solely on that treatment method. If you wanted another opinion, I would definitely go see him. As Amanda mentioned, just contact his PA, Janet Cerrone, at either 1-800-281-4050 or by e-mail at janetcerrone@comcast.net. (feel free to email me as well if you have any other quesitons or would like more info).

Good luck!!
            mariaf305@yahoo.com
            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Lisa,

May I ask how old your son is and what treatment his doctor has recommended?

Mary Lou
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Trying to reach GWENK (Kyphosis - SpineCor)

I am new to this Forum. I am trying to reach GWENK. My son has been diagnosed with Scheuermanns Kyphosis and we are considering the SpineCor brace. Does anyone know how I can reach GWENK?
                Thank you very much!
                LISA

Comment

Working...
                X