No announcement yet.

Bending over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At 5 months post op I felt like I wasn't standing up straight when I walked and I moved very slow. That was when I went back to work and I had no choice but to walk more than I was and after about 2 weeks I was walking much better. I don't feel like I am leaning anymore and people at work comment on how fast I walk. Maybe, if you can, push yourself through the pain and increase your walking time a little every week. At first I couldn't even sit at my desk unless I leaned back on my chair, my torso was so weak it was hard to hold myself up. I couldn't believe how weak I became, now I can sit forward in a chair while on the computer with no problem. Your torse probably has it get stronger, but do a little at a time. Good luck.

Sue

Comment

I agree with the earlier post about walking in the water. The natural bouyancy will help support you, and if you are in a warm pool it can help with loosening up tight muscles. As for the frustratingly slow progress, the good thing is that there is still progress being made. Good luck with it all.
      1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
      2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
      2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
      Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
      msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your comments/ suggestions. The bending over is getting just slightly better. I'm trying to be more conscious of it, and if I can't stay upright I just lie down again for awhile. Another side effect I have been having is my front thighs burn when I walk and I have to stop every few minutes. So in the mornings I'm doing a few minutes on the treadmill and then very gentle stretching for my thighs and sitting side stretches for the cramp in my mid-back. I may be relegated to the treadmill soon because today might be the last day for the beautiful mild Michigan autumn we have been having. Cold weather really affects my bod! I'm also afraid to get back in the water because my surgeon was so against it. I have my 6-month followup in November so we'll see what he says then.

Trulyaries
        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Working...
        X