Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melissa
    Your post made me smile! What a relief!
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Yay!

Hi Melissa,

So happy for you and Nicole that everything has worked out. Read through all your posts and especially made me laugh at Nicole's request for "Photo!" even though she was in pain. I think they want their pictures up their on the net to wear as a badge of honour that "they did it!" and proud they should be as well.

Big hugs to you and Nicole!

Del
      xx
      Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
      Sydney - Australia
      Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
      Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
      Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
      L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Nicole woke up in pain crying out for medicine. But she still slept 8 hours through the night, and went right back to sleep afterwards. I always remember parents saying that sometimes it is two steps forward, one step back. I am not down in the least. She is definitely my Nicole, back to herself in most ways. Tackling her homework, not stopping until her hand was hurting from doing math problems.

She was talking about starting school next week, but I have chosen to send her when she is 5 weeks post-op. She is still sleeping in and obviously not at full strength. I would rather her just take this time to have teachers in the home and work on everything here.

I can't believe we are actually making our Halloween plans. We never thought she would be going out with friends by then. But she should be in school full-time before we know it.
        Melissa
        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

That's the spirit, Melissa!

You sound like you are in a great frame of mind, which can only work wonders for Nicole. Kids very often do feed off of the attitude of their parents (though most of them would never admit it)!

Keep up the great work!

Hugs,
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

I haven't been on the forum for a while but I'm so glad to read today that Nicole is feeling so much better. That's really wonderful. I've been thinking about you guys & I bet you must be feeling better too. What a relief when your child starts acting & feeling like her old self!

I know she will keep improving until the surgery is way in the background of your lives. We have relatively minor issues regarding the surgery these days -the doctor ordered physical restrictions, the need to bring a pillow around for comfortable sitting/leaning back, still some posture to work on. But he is so much back to his old self, it's amazing. His back only rarely bothers him - walks usually help. The only other thing that disturbs him is what he's told he can't/shouldn't do such as many of the activities his friends are doing - running, roughhousing, etc. I just try to stay positive about all of it & stress how temporary most of the restrictions are.

I'm so impressed with how you have handled all of this, Melissa.

Take care,
            Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
            Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
            Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Thanks to all for your encouraging words.

Laurie, I have not handled this any better than anyone else has. Could you remind me a bit about post-op. When did he return to school? What accomodations were in place and for how long? when did he start going in the car and going places?

If anyone else could answer these questions, as well, I would love to hear from you.
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

I can give you our experiences going back to school--my daughter just started back Sep 24, which was 4 1/2 weeks post op. The first week she alternated 1/2 days in the morning then 1/2 days in the afternoon for the whole week, this second week she has been going regularly 5 hours only (her schedule is such that she can miss the first 2 periods of every day and still get all of her core academic classes in). She's in 7th grade, by the way. I think she's ready to go all day next week, and Monday is a holiday, so it's only a 4 day week. She probably could've done full days this week, but, I don't think they should be pushed too fast. The school and the doctor was very accomodating to whatever schedule she wanted, to make it easier for her.

The school had been providing a tutor for the week and a half prior to her returning. She was just beginning Spanish this year, and that teacher was new and had no prepared work available, so, that's who the tutor was. She was unable to get any assignments for Spanish the entire time she was off, so, the tutor only did Spanish to get her caught up. My one gripe with the school--- at first, I thought I wouldn't be able to handle the rest, but we did ok. If we hadn't, I would've been in there fighting !! Her teachers even allowed her to take her tests at home, so she was really right up with the rest of the class when she started back. They have given us a copy of all of her books to keep at home for the year. I'm still working on her to be more organized so that she doesn't carry home more than she needs to, seems like every class she has requires its own 1" binder. The doctor has said no back packs or shoulder bags, I didn't ask how long, assumed at least till our next appt.

She also is utilizing the elevator key, I was worried about her getting jostled around on the stairs. I also know when the fire drills are, but I think the kids are more orderly then, than in between classes. Luckily, I am able to drive her to and from school, I wouldn't want her to have to deal with a bus yet. I made sure that the office knew if she needed a break, I have told her to go to nurse's office, she has never done that. I had to request that her locker be on the second floor (near almost all of her classes), they'd had her on the 1st floor. Now, it's right beside 5 of her classes. And, I told office that she would need to go to locker between every class, they said they would overlook any tardiness due to that. We talked about having a friend go with her in between every class to help with books...whatever, she says she doesn't need that. Also talked about leaving class before the bell, so she could be in the hallway with no other kids, she didn't want to do that either - the school would have accomodated that request too, though. She says she doesn't need a pillow, not sure if that's because she truly feels ok, or she doesn't want to "stand out". She's at the age where being the same, and fitting in are the most important thing.

If I can think of anything else, I'll post again. Most of these tips I saw somewhere on these forums. They've been very helpful. Over all, her school has been very accomodating, hopefully you will find the same situations. Good luck, I'm sure she'll do well once back at school.

Comment

thank you so much for those tips. We are in a similar situation with regard to Spanish. It is so ridiculous that they don't start Spanish until 8th grade here. It should be started in kindergarten. My husband and I took French, so I am teaching myself Spanish along with teaching Nicole. Jessie took Spanish, so when she is not being a self-centered teen she can help, as well.

I don't think I ever realized how close our daughters' surgeries were. I will take her to school, as well.

Thanks again.
                  Melissa

Comment

I’ve been out of the forum for a while, but I’ve just read all your post regarding Nicole’s surgery; I’m glad to see you’re on the other side, and doing ok; I wish she has a speedy recovery, the worst is behind you. Hugs from afar
                    2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
                    Treatment: Cheneau brace
                    2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

Melissa,

What a relief to hear that Nicole is doing so much better. You've been through H... and back. I'm so happy to hear how beautiful, lean and tall she looks and that she is back to her "old" self. Hopefully, not too hard on you though.
                      Leigh
                      Leigh
                      DD is 15 year old girl, 27T, 17L - in SpineCor since Oct. 07.
                      March 08 - in brace T8; 11L
                      Aug. 08 - out of brace 24T; 8.7 L

Comment

Hi Melissa,

Alexander was ready for a full day of school as soon as it started because his surgery was in July - he was already 7-8 weeks post-op. He takes a pillow with him because he says the chairs bother his back. He takes the pillow everywhere at this point because it makes leaning back, even in the car, more comfortable. Regarding car rides, we started those at about 2 weeks post-op, maybe 3 weeks, I'm not totally sure. I was very careful not to push him because he became tired really easily those first few weeks home from the hospital.

We don't have any accommodations at school right now. They know he can only lift up to 5 lbs & can't run, jump, do PE, etc. I'm driving him so he doesn't have to deal with his heavy, wheeled backpack up & down the bus steps.

It's great you're able to think about all these positive post-op issues now. It sounds like Nicole is doing great. How is her posture?

We are going to a post-op appt. tomorrow & I'm (still) very worried about Alexander's posture. His shoulders are quite uneven & he is now tilting to the left (the lower shoulder side) & bending his left knee whenever he stands up. I really want to know what is causing this & how to fix it (hopefully not surgically!)
                        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Hi Laurie

I hope everything goes well at his appointment tomorrow. It sounds like he's doing well other than the posture issue. Were both his curves between T8 and L3 or did they do a selective fusion?

Sheena is an artist, she loves especially Japanese anime and is pretty good at it. I told her we should take one of her drawings and transfer it to a small pillow she can carry around with her, she liked that idea.

Take care

Comment

Melissa,

So glad to hear that Nicole is doing so well. I really appreciated your candor is discussing her personality "type". I think Mackenzie is very similar to Nicole in that regard. Sounds like she is doing really well now that some time has passed. I bet you didn't figure you'd be so scared for her AFTER the surgery, huh?? But I can totally relate to your fears that she will fall or be jostled in the halls at school or that one of her friends will give her a big bear hug and put pressure on her spine, etc. I'd never thought that far ahead.

Hang in there. It sounds like you're doing all the right stuff.

Lisa
                            Lisa
                            Mom to Mackenzie
                            diagnosed March 2007 at 28 degree thoracic, 40 degree lumbar
                            August 2007 - 37 degree thoracic, 37 degree lumbar
                            March 2008 - 39 degree thoracic, 37 degree lumbar

Comment

Just want to share the news that Nicole went back to school full-day today. She is almost 6 weeks post-op. Someone on Spinekids told us about a little inflatable pillow that is made for the back and she is bringing that discretely in a gym bag. No more lugging around a huge bulky pillow.

She was nervous and I will be nervous all day until I go pick her up. But I honestly am thrilled to have this day to myself. It has been an emotionally and physically draining 6 weeks. I need a vacation on a warm beach with a strawberry dacquiri. But instead I will just try to enjoy the quiet and start to get some things done that I have been neglecting.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your support and encouragement. There is no way I could have made it through this without all of you.
                              Melissa

Comment

Hooray for Nicole and hooray for you Melissa and the rest of your family!! I'm so happy to hear that Nicole is back to school full time. Enjoy the peace and quiet today - you deserve it!!
                                Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
                                Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
                                Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Working...
                                X