No announcement yet.

Nicole's Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Nicole was dignosed, her main curve was 40 and her upper compensating curve was 29. I am happy with the degree of correction. She looks very good to me.

As far as going back to school, we are in no rush. The goal is to be back at full days by 6-8 weeks.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Hi Melissa,

I'm so glad to hear that your post-op appt went well. It must be such a relief. I'm sorry to hear that she is still experiencing some pain. Her correction is just amazing though. Did Dr. Dormans give you any idea prior to the surgery what he thought the correction would be? Just curious. You said that Dr. Dormans told you that her spine was stiffer than he thought. I guess the stiffer the spine is, the harder it is to correct? I am learning volumes from everybody on this forum. You guys are an amazing resource. It's almost like having an online doctor at my disposal 24/7 !

Is Nicole sleeping in her bed or is she sleeping in a recliner? I was wondering if she was having trouble sleeping because of the pain or because she is having trouble getting comfortable.

Lori
      Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
      Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
      Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Melissa,

Congrats on the great correction!

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Melissa: Glad to hear your follow-up appointment went well and didn't reveal any problems. It sounds like Nicole got good curve correction - our doctors are not nearly so optimistic about their surgical results. I hope the muscle relaxants make Nicole feel better.
          Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Nicole keeps saying that her back feels very stiff and that her back feels very heavy and that she is aware of all of the metal. Is this something that will always change in time? Can anyone comment on this?
            I will ask this question to the kids on SpineKids as well.
            Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

My back still feels stiff although i'm getting used to it. Also, I can feel all the hardware in my back the surgeon says I need to put weight back on and that may help.
              Patty 51 years old
              Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
              Posterior T3- L4
              Pre surgery curves
              T-53degrees
              L-38degrees
              and a severe side shift to the right.
              Post surgery curves
              Less than 10 degrees
              Surgery April, 2006
              C4 - C6

Comment

Melissa: Just a thought - I have no experience (yet) with a child having had this surgery but is it possible that seeing the after surgery x-rays has had a psycological effect on Nicole? What I mean is she has now seen the hardware in her back on the x-rays which she may not have been visualizing before which may be making her "feel it more. Just a suggestion...
                Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

I am happy to report that we have turned the corner. The last time Nicole has cried from pain was in the waiting room at CHOP on Friday. She is on her new medicine which I have only been giving her in the morning and at night. I think it is the combination of time passing and the new medicine that is keeping her pain under control. In other words, I don't think her pain is as bad and I think this medicine is working whereas the valium did absolutely nothing for her.

Today was an amazing day. We took 3 fairly big walks in our neighborhood. She had three friends visit throughout the day. She had her cousins visit as well. She played 3 games of Scrabble, worked on her math packet, and worked on her Spanish. Everyone who saw her could not believe the change in her. Except for the fact that she is so tall and is walking so rigid, she seems just like my old Nikki.

We were standing outside talking with our friends and neighbors as if the past few weeks never happened. I just can't believe this.

Thank you to everyone who promised me that this day would truly come.
                  Melissa

Comment

this is only the beginning, she will so much better from here onwards (slow though, and you will have your setbacks)

you and nicole are clearly doing great!

correction sounded pretty good to me, bet you can not notice the curve now at all!

keep going!

gerbo

Comment

That is great news Melissa. I'm sure to your eyes she looks great, that's a huge improvement from where she was. Did the rib hump or head tilt improve much?

Comment

Dr. Dormans said her shoulders are even and we can see from the front that her hips look great. I am sure when she is allowed to bend over there will be some kind of a hump. Because when we asked about it, he said it was better. But when you look at her back, the only thing that gives it away is that the one shoulder blade still sticks out more than the other. We knew that would never change.

I have shown her her back using mirrors and she is very pleased. Most importantly is how good she looks when she sees her front in the mirror. She was really starting to get deformed towards the end.

We are pleased. We knew it would not be perfect. It was the best they could do with what they had to work with. She looks like one of those beautiful models, long and lean with perfect posture and long legs that are to die for. I would have been thrilled to have had such a body when I was her age!!!!! Anyway, most importantly, her curves are small and we can try to go back to a normal life. I am still worried about flexibility and how her fusion will affect her future life. I am hoping in time I will worry less and less about all of that.
                        Last edited by MATJESNIC; 10-01-2007, 11:34 AM.
                        Melissa

Comment

I bet she looks beautiful, I'm glad to hear you all are happy with the results. Sheena is short but people always comment on how long her legs are, I think it must be due to her torso being shortened. I think she'll look great with her back all nice and straight.

I don't know if we can ever stop worrying completely but I'm sure it will lessen over time. Maybe someday we'll be able to look at them and forget that they even had surgery. As parents, we're always going to find something to worry about, because of all this I worry less about the small things though. My relationship with my daughter is so much better than it was before she found out about the scoliosis, so I guess you could say that's one good thing that's come out of this.

Emma12: I hope your daughter's curve stabilizes, were you the one who said she might still have to wear a brace? I've read specifically for a selective lumbar fusion, that it takes up to a year to get the maximum correction of a compensatory thoracic curve that's left unfused so this may also apply the other way to a selective thoracic fusion.

Comment

Hi Melissa,
                            Congratulations on finally turning the corner! I am so happy to hear that you and Nicole are finally on the other side of this and that the worst appears to be behind you!! It gives all of us who are waiting for the surgery something to strive towards and know that there is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel.

Lori
                            Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
                            Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
                            Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Thanks to all of you. Last night Nicole asked me, "When am I due for my medicine?" "Twelve hours ago." I told her. It was the first time she went the entire day without being in pain enough to ask about medicine. She had the tylenol and flexiril (muscle relaxer) in the morning and then at night. Last night she slept through the night for the first time in 20 days. Yes, it really does get better and better. She is back to stressing about school work. I told her, "You said, you wanted your life back. Here it is."
                              Melissa

Comment

that's a really happy post. are you starting to feel a bit more relaxed yourself? Sleeping a bit better? (not spending all night at the computer?)

very pleased for you, keep it going!

gerbo

Comment

Working...
                                X