I am finally home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am finally home

Hello everyone, first let me say it is good to be home. I did my surgery on June 18, 2007 and sad to say, my surgery did not go too well. My spine was stabilied ( I forgot the levels ) but unfortunately I was paralyzed from the waist down before the surgery was completed. I lost movement in both of my right legs and sensation in my right leg. After spending a week in the hospital where my surgery was done,(Hospital for Joint Diseases) I was transferred to an acute rehab hospital where I spent two months and a week. I just got home on August 30. I now use a wheelchair to get around. I am able to ambulate just a little with a walker, and I mostly stay indoors. Needless to say, I am worse off now than when I left home on June 18. Over the next couple of months, am an still going to be participating in an intense physical therapy program to help me with my walking. I am sad people, very sad. I thought that this surgery would have made me a little better, now I am worrying about if I will ever be able to walk normally again or even feel my right leg. If anybody out there has had any experience with paralysis (temporary or otherwise) after surgery please tell me how you dealt with it. I am 28 yrs old and I miss my legs.

Of course you're sad, and I'm sad for you. I cried when I read your post. I'm going to pray extra hard for you young lady that you regain the use of your legs. Please don't lose hope. With God, all things are possible.

Chris

Comment

I am so sorry to hear this. You are in my prayers for a complete recovery. You have every reason to be sad but please don't give up. We are all behind you. I hope your back is recovering well. Regards, Lynn
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Oh my. I am so sorry to hear this. You are very much in my thoughts and prayers tonight.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

You're in my prayers. Krysi

Comment

I will be praying for you and hoping for the best.
            Patty 51 years old
            Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
            Posterior T3- L4
            Pre surgery curves
            T-53degrees
            L-38degrees
            and a severe side shift to the right.
            Post surgery curves
            Less than 10 degrees
            Surgery April, 2006
            C4 - C6

Comment

I'm 27 and heading for revision surgery in December. Your post made me really sad. We make the best choices we can, based on the balance of risk and benefit. I'm waiting for a crystal ball invention, then we'll know what the future holds after our surgery. I'm sorry for your loss, I can't imagine how much grief you will be experiencing and hope you have some good support around you.
              1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
              2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
              2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
              Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
              msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Prayers are with you

So sorry to hear about the paralysis. We will be praying that it is only temporary and that healing will bring back the use of your legs. Did the dr. say what happened that they think caused this?

Deb
                age 48
                posterior surgery 7/24/06
                T5-L5
                for s curve T72, L77
                50% correction
                DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!!

Comment

So sorry to hear your news. Hopefully, physical therapy will help. I'll be thinking of you and you are in my prayers.
                  Keep your chin up!
                  CSC
                  Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
                  S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Oh gosh Littlemiss.... i'm so sorry to hear this...i'll be praying for your quick recovery and regaining use of your legs!

I'm going in for revision surgery in a few days and frankly that scares the daylights outta me!

Comment

Sending healing thoughts your way ...
                      FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                      10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                      8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                      5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                      2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                      3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Littlemiss,

From the moment I read your post, I can't stop thinking of you... You are in my thoughts and prayers... I too had revision surgery in NYC at NYU Bone & Joint Diseases in March 2007... Thinking of you... Take care...

Gina

Comment

dont lose hope

i will be praying for you and your family keep the faith i know that
                          can be hard sometime but you must not give up.

Comment

LittleMiss

BE STRONG! That paralysis can reverse over time. I wish you the best of luck and you will be in my heart and mind. God bless you.
                            45L/40T
                            Surgery 25/1/2010
                            Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

I too had some problems caused from the surgery and my left leg was quite badly affected - I lost total feeling for a while and my hip just wouldn't move. Because it was just the hip and thigh on only my left side, I was able to walk, but dragged my leg a lot. Intensive PT was a great help to me and although I still cannot feel skin sensation in my thigh, I have learned to walk with two sticks just fine. (It was partly expected pre-op though as I also have spina bifida.) I still have to use a wheelchair for longer distances, but I can ope with most things I want to do.

I am now over 18 months post op and after initial (fairly fast) recovery (in the nerve sensation) at around 4-6 months, there has been steady progress. It's not so much that the feeling is returning, but that I now see the way I am as 'normal' because it becomes so hard to remember doing things in any other way.

I realise that this is not the same as your situation, but its still affected nerves, so I hope that you too get some improvement.

Apart from that I just want to join everyone else in sending my best wishes to you.
                              Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                              Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                              http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X