New to Spinecor--loving it so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soon to be new to SpineCor

I've been reading the posts for two weeks now, and finally have caught up and feel like I can post--my first time on a forum!

My son Sidney (12 years + 2 months; Risser 0; I doubt he has hit his major growth spurt yet) has an appointment with Dr. Ouellette in Atlanta to be fitted for a spinecor brace in three weeks. He wore a Boston brace for 6 months until yesterday, when he took it off in order to "wake up" his muscles to be ready for the spinecor.

Sidney was diagnosed just over a year ago. He has a right thoracic curve and a compensating lumbar curve, currently measured at 40 and 24, respectively.The exact degree of his thoracic curve at the time of diagnosis is unclear to me, but I know it was at least 25 degrees. We first saw a chiropractor who referred us to a pediatric orthopaedist in Chapel Hill. At our second appointment in January, a Boston brace was recommended, and although we hesitated, we went with it. At that time we didn't know about the spinecor. Within the first three months, Sidney's right hip, which had been elevated, lowered noticably. Silly me, I assumed things were improving. Three weeks ago we returned for a 6-month check-up, to learn that his upper curve is now at 40 degrees. The orthopaedist told us he is better balanced, but that does not help his prognosis at all.

During those 6 months, I had heard of the spinecor brace, and after our last appointment I really began to research, and found this forum, which has been very helpful. I only wish I had gotten to it sooner; I would have been much better informed. At this point, Sidney's curve may be too far advanced for the spinecor to have much effect. However, we're going to go for it, knowing there's a significant chance he will end up with surgery, and leaving no stone unturned in trying to avoid it.

On the spinecor thread, I read that Georgiamom was using the same chiropractor we will be using, and that BlueCrystalMan has a son about my son's age with scoliosis. I'd love to know how they and their children are doing with the brace.

Also, I have a question about wedging. At what point does it occur in the vertabrae? How does wedging relate to spinal maturity, or the severity of the curve? Is wedging what makes scoliosis structural as opposed to functional?

I'm grateful for the experience and willingness of all those parents out there to share. Thanks for everything.

Comment

Working...
    X