New Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here

I am a 24 yr old female living in the milwaukee area. I was diagnosed at birth with severe double major idiopathic scoliosis. I wore a milwaukee brace for a few years (hated it) then when we moved to florida they were like WTF and gave me a new one. My curves are 45 degrees and 70 degrees. I have had 5 surgeries in my life. They first took out one of my ribs and put it in my back. Then they placed cd rods and i had a few surgeries to lengthen them. then at age 9, they fused me from T4 to L4. My back never bothered me as a kid. Other than the fact that it stunted my growth (i'm 4'9"). I also have prune belly syndrome (which after some of my own research, i found PBS probably caused my scoliosis). anyways im getting a little off subject. My back never bothered me until i got a little older. Every Year my pain gets worse. I am numb in the areas of my rib cage on my back. Every where else aches. My shoulders burn, my neck hurts, my lower back has always had a constant pain that is now getting worse. Everytime I see a doctor they tell my they cont do anything else for me. I dont know what to do. Because of my PBS (which causes my belly to stick out like i am pregnant) it puts alot of strain on my lower back. I just want something to help with the pain. I know i am lucky because my doctor did very good work on my back and most with my condition probably have it worse than i do but it hurts. Anyone have any tips that can help with my pain short of pain killers?? My doctor who did my surgeries in a pedeatric orth. and cant see me anymore and I cant find a good doctor. Anyway just thought Id share my story and see if anyone had any tips. Thank for listening.

Holly

ps. Dr Stricker in the Memorial Hostpital in Miami Fl did all of my surgeries and did a wonderful job. If anyone is in that area and looking for a doctor talk to him. He really did do a wonderful job. I get compliments every time someone takes my xrays.

I use a heating pad a great deal. I have also joined a theraputic pool where they keep the water at around 91 dgrees. It feels great just to soak in the pool. They also have a treadmill and exercise bike in the pool that I use. I used to use a whirlpool tub before I joined the pool.
    I had to find a doctor that treats adult scoliosis patients. Check the referrals on this site. I drive 2 hours to see my doctor but he's worth it!
    Last edited by rainbow2010; 08-24-2007, 07:50 AM. Reason: forgot something
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
    X