No announcement yet.

Surgery Tomorrow (June 4th)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow is my first post-op checkup (2 weeks post-op). Everything is going fine except one thing. Yesterday my friend was over. She twisted my back and then shoved me!!!! I am so mad at her!!! What should I do? She didn't do it on purpose, but she didn't seem too sorry. My doctor said that tomorrow there is a slight chance of regetting a brace, but I don't care if I do, I actually like my brace. My doctor also said that since the chairs there are hard and might hurt my back, they'll let us in ahead of everyone...VIP treatment . So the only thing bad was what my friend did to me, she didn't even apologize!!!!! Talk to everyone soon....I'll write again after my appointment.
    ~Jill
    Surgery: June 4th, 2004
    Main curve: 44 degrees
    Location of Curve: Upper Right Part of Back
    Surgery Type: Posterior
    T4-T12

Comment

As a parent of someone who has had this surgery this is what I would say to my daughter if that happened. You may not feel this way.
      Did your friend understand what you have just had done? If not explain quickly. If she did, wait until after you have seen the doctor, then ring her (asking her to come over is your choice, but keep someone with you for support.). Tell her why she should not have done that. What could of happened or ( I hope not ) anything that did happen. Be truthfull, let her know of any extra expense she has caused or any other problems. If she didn't say sorry at first, maybe she just didn't understand what she did. If she still doesn't seem sorry (even if she says the words) then she's not the sort of person that you need as a friend in the long term. I know that may sound harsh but if she can do that to you now what else is she likely to do. It doesn't matter what caused it to happen. Even if you were both mucking around and you were twisted she should never have shoved you.
      My guess is that you have been being careful and hopefully no damage has been done.
      Let us know what the doctor says. We are hoping for a good report for you.
      Best wishes.
      Cheryl

Comment

Today I went to the doctor for my 2 week post-op check up. My doctor's main nurse told me to say hi to this one girl who was having the same surgery in a few weeks. So I said hi and we exchanged screen names and email adresses. This all happend after I got my x-rays. I went back to the room I was staying in and waited with my mom for the doctor to come. When he came he said that my back was "textbook perfect" and that everything was going fine. He said I have to wait 2 weeks to move my arms and waist more that 90 degrees. He said I could shower standing up, but I still want my mom to help me. He said my curve might be IN THE SINGLE DIGITS!!!! Also my mom and I have been noticing that at night I am very slightly hunched, but in the mornings I am fine. We asked the doctor about this and said it was normal for the first 3 months. Has anyone had this happen to them or someone they know? So basically my doctor said things are going great. If I think of anything I forgot, I'll write more, but otherwise I'll talk to everyone later!!!
        ~Jill
        P.S. About my "friend" you cant EVER convince her she is wrong.....believe me.....I have tried
        T4-T12

Comment

Amber 'hunches' when she is tired as well.
          I am so glad that everything is going well for you.
          Cheryl.

Comment

I don't remember if I said this...but now I can shower without a shower chair!!! Talk to you later!
            ~Jill
            T4-T12

Comment

what was the degree of ur bak b 4 the op?????
              40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Mine before surgery was about 44. What's yours?
                ~Jill
                T4-T12

Comment

last tme i checked about 45 now i think it is 50
                  40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

hey everyone! I would like to reopen this thread to anyone with questions about surgery or bracing
                    T4-T12

Comment

Jill!!!
                      My gosh listen to what mumof 5 told you!!
                      That is NO friend and I bet you are her only "friend".
                      She sounds like my daughter's "friend" who gets very jealous when any attention by especially boys is directed not to her.
                      I explained to this girl Ste needs her , but even text messaging to someone else sends this girl into the silent treatment towards ste.
                      This is very upsetting to her as well and I don't know why you young girls put up with people like that. Your backs should be the only concern a friend would have and I think she will try and hurt you again but act like it is an accident.
                      I am not trying to scare you but I think you should tell the Dr or your mom and maybe have them explain if any thing happens she will be questioned. I am really on a soap box here but you must stand up and protect what you've worked hard to get thru. I think she maybe jealous bc you are probably taller and prettier now..good luck,kay
                      now 16 yr old daughter
                      with worsen 65 degree upper curve
                      surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

thanks mamakay
                        Yeah my friend and I haven't talked in 6 months!!!. I was invited to go see her concert for this HUGE choir thing and I rejected the offer. She told her parents that she just touched my back but really she shoved me a good few feet forward (either way touching or shoving she still shouldn't have hit my back). My mom was not home but when I told her she said she would have yelled at her (go mom!). This happened to another person I know too. Our friendship was based off of me feeling sorry for her (she was a "outcast" in our class). Then in 8th grade she was taking advantage of our friendship and me. So when she hit my back that pushed me over the edge and I now still hate her. if you have anymore comments or questions feel free to write back
                        ~Jill
                        T4-T12

Comment

Jill,
                          Good for you!! I told my daughter what she did to you and she was shocked!! We're glad your back is ok and you are not a victim or co dependent of this type person. I would have said the same thing your mom did.
                          You are a mature thinking person and I bet that makes your family proud to see all your strengths..
                          good luck and stay in touch.
                          Mamakay
                          now 16 yr old daughter
                          with worsen 65 degree upper curve
                          surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

Working...
                          X