• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When i need to do surgery ?

Hello everyone

My name is amr , i am 21 years .and i have scoliosis
    My curve degree 25

i am from Egypt , i went to many doctors here in my country they said i dont need operation, i tried to go to germeny to see Dr. but my visa was refused , i really dont trust doctors here in my country because they dont have much expirance .

when i bent over, one side of my back is higher than the other .
    also curvature is noticable through my clothes . and i always feel pain in my back .
    i want to ask
    How to Stop the pain ? i workout at gym every 2 days . do i need to Stop?

When do i need operation ? right now my curve degree 25 .
    is the surgery risky ?
    How much money it cost ?
    How many days u stay at hospital ?
    and who is the best doctor to do it ?
    Last edited by amr; 07-31-2007, 09:44 PM.

this is the report for my last xrays

Computerized radiographic examination of the doroso-lumbar spine revealed :
    - Mild dorsal Scoliotic deformity , Convex to the right side .
    - Ill-definition of the left pedicles & lateral vertebral cortices of the mild-dorsal vertebrae , for further CT assessment.
    - Maintained Disc Spaces

Comment

Hi Amr,

I'm not a Dr. but I think that most doctors in the US don't operate on curves as small as yours. We waited until my son's larger curve was 60 degrees before even considering surgery. He's still actively growing too so his curves were definitely going to get worse. But at 21 years old, you're probably finished growing so maybe your curve won't progress & it will stay the same degrees. You need to watch & measure it over time to see if it's progressing. I'm no expert but I've read on this forum that the surgery doesn't always help back pain. Maybe you could get some physical therapy, do yoga or get massages? Maybe your workouts aren't addressing the pain & you need specific exercises to target your painful areas.

Surgery is very expensive. Our hospital bill arrived & luckily we only have to pay about 1% of it after our insurance pays its portion. The bill was about $143,500 - not including the surgeon's or other doctors' fees.
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Yes, most surgeons would not really consider bracing at 25 degrees at your age unless you showed a progression from year to year.

The operation is usually done with curves of at least 45-50 degrees or in a case where progression cannot be otherwise stopped.

My surgery was $250,000 for the hospital, and I'm not sure about the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and the internal medicine physican fees.

The surgery is risky, and there is no guarantee that you will be relieved of pain afterward.

I would recommend finding the very best physical therapy group in your area for some serious PT. It can be of tremendous help if you are in the right hands.

I'm sorry you are in so much pain, I remember how frustrating and endless that felt.

Comment

- Ill-definition of the left pedicles & lateral vertebral cortices of the mild-dorsal vertebrae , for further CT assessment
          amr

I would check out if there were any vertebral malformations. That might be causing the pain rather than the scoliosis or perhaps causing the scoliosis???

The report recommends a further assessment.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Im not sure about all those conditions u have listed...but my curves are 30 and 27 and im 13 and do not need surgery, im in a boston brace though. Which makes me ask, havce you ever been braced? If so I believe you are okay, and about back pain consider seeing a phys. therapist or a yoga instructor, ther are somm exercises that are bad for your back, what have you been doing??
            Danielle
            14 Freshwoman
            December 1st got no head the boston brace
            Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
            In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
            In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
            We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Working...
            X