thorocoplasy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thorocoplasy question

i had my fusion 06/19/07 t6-t12. i still have my rib hump. does anyone know if insurance companies will cover a thorocoplasty now.

I'm not sure about that but I kind of doubt it. I think when it's combined with your fusion it's easier for them to include it because they can use the bone from the thoracoplasty for your fusion. But if you had it done separately it would probably be considered more of a cosmetic thing.

When I went in for my revision surgery though, the original plan was to just take my instrumentation out and also do a thoracoplasty (for cosmetic reasons). The doctor didn't warn me that the insurance might not cover the thora. and I didn't even think to ask. SO I'm assuming that it wouldn't have been a problem. In the end though, I had to be fused again (using BMP but also bone from the thoracoplasty). So I'll never know if it could've potentially been an issue.

Sorry I know this isn't much help! But you could definitely pose the question to your doc or get another opinion since they deal with this kind of thing all the time. They'd probably know.

Good luck, I know how hard it can be to fit into clothes and sit in a chair with that damn hump. Mine's not perfect but definitely better than before.
    Last edited by SARAHK; 08-04-2007, 09:56 AM.
    { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
    One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
    March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Comment

Working...
    X