Time to "Get ER Done"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to "Get ER Done"

For those who may remember in March 06 I had hardware installed from my butt to my neck. "Butt to neck" (technical term) for a lot of rods and screws. 14 months later I have 2 rods that have broken at the base, pictures to follow. I am going in tomorrow morning and at 7 AM will get a brand new set to replace the broken ones. This should be a piece of cake. The 1st round was 15 1/2 hours and tomorrow is only 4. Almost don’t need a anesthesiologist for that short amount of time.
    All joking aside these broken rods are more painful than anything I have ever encountered. The one rod you see in the side view picture has almost come threw the skin. Now that hurts like hell. Also the base screw cap that tightens or attaches the rod and screw together has popped out and it is floating around some where in the tissue and that catches me off guard pinching in a new place every time I move. Shouldn't be in the hospital but a few days, and when I get back home I will let you know how things went.
    Backtalk
    http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Cimg0148-1.jpg
    http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../tn_broken.jpg
    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
    15 1/2 Hours
    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Sending you good wishes today, BackTalk. You've certainly been through a lot and still manage to keep your sense of humor. I admire you for that.

All the best,

Chris

Comment

Good luck, backtalk. Hope to hear from you soon that all went well. I am curious as to why the broken rods. I always assumed that it would only happen from some traumatic event such as a fall or a car accident. Or do they "just" break? Seems like it would take a lot to break those rods. Just want to know for my own information.
      FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
      10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
      8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
      5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
      2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
      3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Unfortunately, I think broken rods may not be all that uncommon with extremely long fusions. You'll find another recent post here from Diane in Dallas who experienced the very same thing with her long fusion. Just my two cents.

Chris

Comment

best wishes to ya..

I honestly don't know how you've made it with all those sharp edges moving around inside you!!! Please let us know as soon as you can how you are doing- God Bless- Lisa
          Lisa age 47
          T curve 69 degrees
          L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
          fused to from T-3 to sacrum
          anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
          pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Well it's Wednesday AM just 48 hrs after surgery and I just got home. This was a piece of cake just as I thought. I ended up with a little longer incision than I thought I would have but the doctor had to get high enough up to cut out the rods. When I get my act together a little more I will post some pictures of the broken rods and explain a little more.
            BackTalk
            15 1/2 Hours
            Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

welcome back to the living...

You are doing well, just 48 hours later ! looking forward to details and pictures- God Bless....... Lisa and maybe you have more info on why they broke in the first place???
              Lisa age 47
              T curve 69 degrees
              L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
              fused to from T-3 to sacrum
              anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
              pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jlazyh/A.jpg
                this 1st picture is to set it up as where the parts came from.
                http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jlazyh/B.jpg
                this is the last ped screw at the base of my hardware, see how the rod carries well to the other side of the screw?
                http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jlazyh/C.jpg
                now take a look at where the rod stops in this screw on the other side.
                Here is what they think happened. The rod that stops short pulled loose from the screw, causing a tremendous tension on the rod on the other side. It broke and from there MY ATTITUDE CHANGED, until now.
                15 1/2 Hours
                Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Gee whiz! Couldn't they throw in the kitchen sink while they were at it?

Good to see you back with your humor still intact.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS
                    Gee whiz! Couldn't they throw in the kitchen sink while they were at it?

Good to see you back with your humor still intact.

Chris
                    Thanks Chris, and thank you all. This is what makes this such a good site.
                    15 1/2 Hours
                    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Hey J.

Good to see that you are back so soon. I hope this one stays put for a looooooooooong time.

Best wishes.

p

Comment

Did you get new hardware, or just the old removed?

Comment

BackTalk,

You have amazed me from the first time I read your posts, and again you haven't let me down!!!

Your attitude, courage, strength and sense of humor is beyond compare, and quite an inspiration!!!

I usually stick to the first time surgery section of this forum, but I like to check in here to see what you are up too, and how you're doing.

Thinking of you,
                          Shari

Comment

Originally posted by JoAnn5
                            Did you get new hardware, or just the old removed?
                            Nothing removed, just put back together with bigger screws and planted deeper. If you look at the x-ray you can see where they spliced the broken rods and look close enough at the bottom screws ( no pun intended ) you can see they went longer and bigger around. I only pray these stay put cause it's starting to hurt. LOL
                            I think if I had any advice to anyone looking at surgery and yes, in a lot of pain it would be, "Suck it up, Get er done and enjoy every day or hour at a time that you can walk, sit or lay without the pain that we all go threw."
                            My Best, Jess (BackTalk)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...DSCF2871-1.jpg
                            15 1/2 Hours
                            Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

BackTalk,

I'm new to this site! I just want to say that I am so happy that you are feeling better... I also had revision surgery in March 2007... While I was looking at your x-rays made me feel like I was looking at mine... BUT SEEING THEM DISPLAYED LIKE THAT!!! WOW!!!

TAKE CARE!

Gina

Comment

Working...
                              X