family unity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laurie,

That makes sense to me. Nicole will eat a good meal and drink all of her favorite juices the day before and that day. I will be there for her. I will let you know how it all goes on Monday.

How is Alexander doing?
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Hello Melissa, things are certainly moving along for you, just read your posts. EMLA! We love Emla here, none of my kids have ever gone without it. The doc calls in the prescription, I put it on here at home, and we're good to go an hour after. I'm surprised there's so much resistance to it, puzzles me. Procrit, I think , is what we've used with our surgery kids when they're donating blood. It builds up there red blood cells/iron so they can donate blood more often and/or quicker. It's usually used for chemo patient. Works here.

Sounds like a great party!!! pat

Comment

Nicole's party was amazing. It was our best one ever. We had a backyard full of kids from school and dance school. She had dance teachers there, as well as a lot of our adult friends. The cotton candy and snow cone machines were a huge hit. The D.J. was great and my older kids played some live music with their friends. My husband sang, "You raise me up."

Christine, I have to tell you that I didn't cry once, except I got choked uip when the D.J. played "Fix you" by Cold Play. Nicole and I will forever think of your Daniel and your amazing slide show whenever we hear that song. It should be adopted by the National Scoliosis Foundation it is so appropriate and beautiful.

Nicole got the most generous and thoughtful gifts from everyone. It was truly an amazing night. I am so thrilled we did this for her. It has really made a difference in all of our attitudes going into this. We feel so much love and support from those around us.

We have exactly one month until her surgery. Tomorrow she is giving blood and I am pushing liquids big time.

Thanks everyone for all of your support.
        Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Melissa,

The party sounds like it was really wonderful - what a great idea. I'm sure the blood donation will go smoothly & be fine too. This last month before the surgery was so stressful for me but it sounds like you have a lot of support to help you & Nicole cope. My younger son felt sort of resentful of all the "attention" Alexander got due to the surgery so it was sometimes hard to deal with that & they have lots of sibling rivalry anyway...

Alexander's recovery seems to be going great as far as his energy level & minimal pain. We take long walks at least twice a day & he is getting really bored of being home so much. I'm always trying to think of mellow things for us to do. I hardly ever go into work so I can be with him (I work with my husband so it's flexible). I think I'll start another thread about the posture issue...

Take care & I'll be looking to see how the blood donation went.
          Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
          Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
          Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Laurie,

I am so glad that Alexander is starting to be bored at home. Great sign!!!

I am trying not to forget that I have other kids. Matthew is going off to college for sophomore year and is extremely busy with his girlfriend, friends, and work. He is a great kid and would never feel like he is being neglected. My 17-year old is a little more high maintenance and has made comments to me because she is having sleep problems and thinks I am too busy with Nicole to take her for help. I do have to look into this when things settle down. I am also doing something special for her 17th birthday this month because she is the child who would feel like everyone forgot about her. In some ways, very self-absorbed. Yet, agreed readily to donate blood on her 17th birthday without hesitation. Jessica played her keyboard and sang 3 songs to Nicole at her party. That was very meaningful.

Additional Note: Nicole gave a pint of blood today. She cried when we first got there and I thought she may chicken out. But she was amazing. Thanks for all your advice. She drank so much in the last couple of days so she wasn't faint at all. She may give another pint in two weeks
            Last edited by MATJESNIC; 08-13-2007, 08:18 PM.
            Melissa

Comment

You're doing all the same things for your daughter as I did mine.
              Before Shelby had her growth rods implanted, we had a pool party with her friends. It's been 2 1/2 years, but finally this summer she feels confident in the pool again.
              My sister had the t-shirt's made up before surgery, Team Shelby in purple. They remember us at PACU when they see them.
              My daughter is much stronger then I am when it comes to needles. She warns everyone to not let me watch. Luckily, we haven't required an blood as of yet.
              Your daughter sounds really strong, and with a great and supportive family, everyone will get through it.

Good Luck, Emily

Comment

I am so glad the blood donation went well, Melissa. I'm sure the surgery will go just as well so hang in there this last month. It's the hardest time. You'll be so much happier when it's over. You sound so strong & competent & I know that you & Nicole (& the whole family) will be fine.

Take care,
                Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Melissa,
                  I'm so glad the blood donation went well! The party sounds fantastic! You're such a smart mom!
                  Last edited by cherylplinder; 08-15-2007, 10:35 AM.
                  God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

haha this thread made me laugh so hard. My mom is a surgeon and she has these HORRIBLE shoes that are supposed to be all comfortable and good for the feet and stuff, and she bought them to operate in, but then liked them so much that she wears them ALL the time. and I hate them and always tell her to change to different shoes before she goes anywhere with me, and she never really does it lol. and anyway earlier this year I had to have an emergency surgery on my appendix, and after the surgery my mom came into see me and she was wearing those shoes and the first thing I said was, "take off those shoes!" lol I guess moms do take a lot of abuse.

anyway had to share, glad the blood donation went well!
                    ~Leelee ♪
                    [-] 17 years old
                    _[-] 12th grade
                    [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
                    _[-] kyphosis, 67*
                    [-] Boston brace for 4 years
                    _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Comment

Family Unity

Hi every one!

You all sound like such good moms with all the support you give your kids before and after this huge surgery. Good luck to all of you. An 11year old girl from my church had a double curve repaired just a few weeks ago and when I visited her 2 weeks post op she looked great! She was walking, taking less pain medication, the incision healing nicely and had already been back to church and to a parade. I love this little girl who has been so very brave, but I also cried on the way home because my recovery seems to be taking so long. Of course, I'm 51, but at 2 weeks post op I was pretty much unconscious most of the time. It's funny how the blood donation thread became part of this thread- I have amusing stories about our experience trying to donate. We live in CT and had my surgery done in Manhattan so there were many appointments in the city. Since I was in such pain my husband would drive me in. I was told we needed 3-4 units and as my husband and 22year old daughter were matches we figured we would get 3 pints in one appointment. WRONG. My husband had a cough so he was rejected, my daughter was slightly anemic -rejection number two, and then we were down to me. I had just gone off antibiotics so rejection number three!! We were stunned but pleased that donation was so strict, but realized we didn't have time to get me all the blood I needed and I would have to use blood bank blood, which I was assured was quite safe. It was a hoot having all three of us rejected in one appointment!! By the way what is Emla?? I am so impressed with this forum and all the information that has been shared. I am learning things now that I probably should have been aware of before my surgery. Better late than never but I feel like getting a copy of my chart so I can read exactly what was done to me. As I get to know all of you I find it necessary to write down names and screen names and also comments and advice because I blank out when I start to write. Any one else have that problem? I also have been reading all the threads on adults over 18/ 1st surgery and many of my questions have been discussed two years ago. Can I re-address some of these issues as I'm new to this forum? Is everyone still willing to talk about these issues? A last request for now. I need some good thoughts and prayers for my flight to Germany on Sunday evening. It is a 6 week business trip for my husband and I decided to go with him, thinking I would be in much better shape than I actually am. The flight is seven hours long followed by a three hour drive. A 4 hour drive with stops is difficult for me right now and I usually need a day to recuperate with bedrest, Vicodin and ice because of the sciatica I've developed. I'm really looking forward to this trip but also very concerned about what shape I'll be in. Sorry to write such a long post on this thread when I probably should have started a new one. Thanks for listening.

dianeh
                      ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
                      T3- sacrum
                      dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

germany

Hi Dianah,
                        In relation to your flight, is there any way that you can pay to go business class? I'm just thinking that the extra money may be worth it because you are able to queue jump and have a bit more of a lie down on the flight. Also, do you have to do the 3 hour drive right away? Why not stay an extra night by the airport. If you can afford it, the extra costs are worth it because it sounds like you know what your body is up to at this stage. I find at the moment (Insert standard everyone is different disclaimer) that I am surprised when I go for a short flight that it is a big deal because of 1)walking around the airport 2) waiting in the seats to board the plane 3) lugging even a small amount of gear 4) trying to find taxi 5) driving to and fro the airport... and this is without the jetlag. Not wanting to be pessimistic, but just wanted to say don't underestimate the demands on your body. Your 7 hour flight isn't just the flight, it's all the stuff either side of it. I'm not saying don't go by any means, just to plan it and don't be brave... make sure you have as much stuff arranged as you can. You can also let the airline know about your medical situation and they should be able to accomodate you.
                        1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
                        2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
                        2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
                        Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
                        msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Family Unity

Dear nzgirl,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Your suggestion that we fly business class is an excellent one and because it is a business trip we were able to get me a seat. I have never flown this way but my husband says it's roomier and the seats recline almost all the way back. Calling the airport and letting them know of my situation is an excellent idea also. In the past I've done this for elderly parents but of course it doesn't occur to me for myself. Our driver for the 3 hour drive is booked so that might be hard to change, but again, a great suggestion. My daughter who is 22 is coming with us for the first 10 days and she is a great help with carrying things and seeing the pain in my face before I feel it. She helps to keep me in line in a nice way. It's nice to know you understand that it's not just the flight but but all the other things involved- especially the walking at the airport. Maybe I can drive in one of those vehicles or get a wheelchair! I'm going to start a new thread on "Getting Around and Going out" maybe later today when I've used up my energy packing and need to sit down.

Thanks so much for alot of good advice!
                          dianeh
                          ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
                          T3- sacrum
                          dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

Working...
                          X